Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish house : basement :possible if so cost

Options
  • 27-11-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi,

For one toying with the idea of putting a basement in an Irish house how does one go about this and what is the cost?

Is it even possible/ feasible.

Majority of houses in north America have basements

Any advice of experience would be grateful:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

1. Your foundations will love sitting on nothing.
    2. You’ll have a lovely basement level swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The two important questions are:

1. Has the house been built yet?, and
    2. Are you rich?

In Ireland it costs a lot more to build below ground than above ground. And it costs a lot above ground.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mkdon wrote: »
    Hi,

For one toying with the idea of putting a basement in an Irish house how does one go about this and what is the cost?

Is it even possible/ feasible.

Majority of houses in north America have basements

Any advice of experience would be grateful:)

Fairly common now in the plusher areas of South Dublin during extensive renovations. It these are on houses where upwards of 2-3m are been spent.

On a traditional Irish semi D, I would say forget about it due to the Close proximity of services, adjoining properties, foundations and costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Depends on a lot of things. If it is an existing house, it would be a very expensive process - like "cheaper to knock the house and rebuild it" expensive. If it is a new build, it's doable as long as the water table is low enough. I know of a couple of houses near me with basements - one that was built a few years ago by an American couple, which has lots of "American" features. I believe they had to tank the basement (basically build it like a swimming pool in reverse!) in order to keep it dry. Effectively there is no sense in building a basement in Ireland, as it would be cheaper to add a floor on top (or convert an attic) than to build a basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I got a quote for a basement on a 50 sq m footprint house. It was €100,000.
    A house down the street built a basement this summer. The house cost them €130,000 more to build than it's actually worth at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement