Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim religion teacher?

Options
  • 27-11-2017 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. Im currently in 6th year studying for my leaving cert and I’m hoping to go to college next year. I have a huge interest in English and would love to be an English teacher in secondary school. I was thinking of doing english and religious education in dcu but as a muslim woman who wears the hijab i fear this would stop me from getting a job. I feel like schools wont want to employ a muslim hijabi to teach religion. Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don’t see why not. Fairytales are fairytales. Doesn’t matter what the storyteller is wearing.

Can we just stick to the OP's request please, thanks.
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

As a significant majority of schools are run under religious order trusteeship I would imagine that wearing a hijab in school would be a problem, however I don’t see how you being Muslim would be...none of the religion teachers I have ever met, bar 1, were overly religious, their own beliefs or lack there of tended to be kept private.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anonlol

solerina wrote: »
    As a significant majority of schools are run under religious order trusteeship I would imagine that wearing a hijab in school would be a problem, however I don’t see how you being Muslim would be...none of the religion teachers I have ever met, bar 1, were overly religious, their own beliefs or lack there of tended to be kept private.

Even in primary schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You will be employed extremely quickly - as the schools fall over each other to show how progressive they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Snip
    As Above
    Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Anonlol

endacl wrote: »
    Fairytales are part of the core curriculum in primary schools. Could be hard to tell the attitude of the teacher when they deliver it.

I mean would it be a problem to wear a hijab? Because primary teaching is also on my CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

It would depend on the school. Would not be an issue in an educate together school but would be in a catholic school as they are exempt from discrimination legislation.

In a catholic school you would be teaching catholic doctrine and would have to complete a course in said indoctrination.

In an educate together school you would be teaching all world religions broadly and would not inflicting religious instruction.

Your options are limited since 93% of schools are controlled by the church at the moment with all teacher appointments approved by the Board and the local bishop. Utterly disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Anonlol wrote: »
    Even in primary schools?

Yes. All schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

endacl wrote: »
    I don’t see why not. Fairytales are fairytales. Doesn’t matter what the storyteller is wearing.

Wish i was edgy as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I mean would it be a problem to wear a hijab? Because primary teaching is also on my CAO

The wearing of it isn't a problem for primary.
    But would you be happy to prepare 2nd class students for sacraments and organise religious ceremonies etc?
    That would be in the majority of schools in Ireland.

Although you wouldn't have to do this in educate together primary schools. Their numbers are growing in city areas.

You might be lucky and find a principal in a catholic school who would assign you to a non-communion/confirmation class every year.

• Advertisement

If the OP is talking about the DCU drgree, then its not primary. Shoudnt be a problem as most schools do the exam based RE course which is more of a humanities course it seems.

But the real Q is there already an over supply of English teachers and would she be happy working the current conditions and treatment of second level teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Go for it. We need more diversity amongst our teachers. Children of Muslim faith need to see Muslim teachers too and all children will benefit from wider diversity in school staffs. Yes, you may find some Catholic schools will choose not to hire you based on their ethos and legally they are allowed to discriminate in this way if they choose, but there are more and more schools that are multi denominational, educate together, community national schools and Muslim schools too.
    Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I’d certainly rather see a Muslim religion teacher than one who professes to have no faith or claims to be ‘spiritual but not religious’. Muslims, in my experience of them, are a good example of people actually following their religion, unlike many of my fellow Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FA NG

I dont think it would be a problem with schools employing you but you'd be required to teach Christianity as the 'right' religion. That's just how religious education is taught in this country unfortunately. You wouldnt be permitted to teach Islam, youd have to follow curriculum and teach Catholicism. Would you be ok with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I feel like schools wont want to employ a muslim hijabi to teach religion. Is this true?
    If they can see your face, I can't see the issue; lots of RC nuns were teachers, and they wore similar things on their heads, so you'll have no issue teaching english.

As for teaching christianity; once you don't mind holding the RC god as "the one true god", "the only god", and that "your (muslim) god is totally false".... sure. Otherwise, consider teaching the muslim faith to muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Hi. Im currently in 6th year studying for my leaving cert and I’m hoping to go to college next year. I have a huge interest in English and would love to be an English teacher in secondary school. I was thinking of doing english and religious education in dcu but as a muslim woman who wears the hijab i fear this would stop me from getting a job. I feel like schools wont want to employ a muslim hijabi to teach religion. Is this true?

My advice is that the possibility of employment following a primary degree should not directly influence your choice of degree. It’s a consideration but there are a multitude of jobs for English and religious teachers worldwide. Don’t confine your horizon to just Ireland.

FA NG wrote: »
    I dont think it would be a problem with schools employing you but you'd be required to teach Christianity as the 'right' religion. That's just how religious education is taught in this country unfortunately. You wouldnt be permitted to teach Islam, youd have to follow curriculum and teach Catholicism. Would you be ok with this?

This is not true, especially at second level where all major faiths are taught so she could bring a unique perspective to it. Also primary ETB, ET, and CS do not teach it as 'the right' religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is not true, especially at second level where all major faiths are taught so she could bring a unique perspective to it. Also primary ETB, ET, and CS do not teach it as 'the right' religion.

Not all second level religion classes are exam classes - many are faith formation, even in ETB schools.

I don't think there would be any issue with a Muslim teacher teaching religion as an exam subject, but Catholic (or other faith) schools that have faith formation may not be happy about having a Muslim carrying out this function.

Personally I don't think faith formation has any place in school, but while it remains a feature of school ethos I can understand any faith preferring to use members of their own faith for that function. I doubt a Muslim school would be happy to use a Catholic teacher for faith formation either.

I still think you would have some job prospects with a core subject (English) and being qualified to teach the religion exam syllabus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

the_syco wrote: »
    As for teaching christianity; once you don't mind holding the RC god as "the one true god", "the only god", and that "your (muslim) god is totally false".... sure. Otherwise, consider teaching the muslim faith to muslims.
    It’s the same God. Muslims, as I understand it, even consider Jesus Christ to be an important prophet (though not the son of God). I don’t think it would be a big stretch for a Muslim to teach that, even if they would be teaching a few things they don’t necessarily believe.
    Do you think that every ‘Catholic’ religion teacher believes everything they teach?

Advertisement