Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developer wants to put tree in front lawn after closing

Options
  • 27-11-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

We've recently moved into the first phase of a new development. The developer is currently landscaping around the front of the estate and has just messaged me to say that they need to plant a tree outside our house to comply with the planning permission submitted to the council.

We're in a semi-d with a shared driveway in the center and grass areas to each side of the two houses (each a semi-d, mirror image of each other). Presumably (I've asked to clarify where exactly), he means to put the tree on the grass on our side of the house.

This wasn't mentioned before we closed. Just wondering what people's opinions are on this? Do they have any authority to do this? Should I welcome the opportunity for a free tree or do I protest? (I only got a text informing me of this, so I've asked for more information with regards to type and location).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ElWalrus wrote: »
    We've recently moved into the first phase of a new development. The developer is currently landscaping around the front of the estate and has just messaged me to say that they need to plant a tree outside our house to comply with the planning permission submitted to the council.

We're in a semi-d with a shared driveway in the center and grass areas to each side of the two houses (each a semi-d, mirror image of each other). Presumably (I've asked to clarify where exactly), he means to put the tree on the grass on our side of the house.

This wasn't mentioned before we closed. Just wondering what people's opinions are on this? Do they have any authority to do this? Should I welcome the opportunity for a free tree or do I protest? (I only got a text informing me of this, so I've asked for more information with regards to type and location).

Thanks.

Avoid a tree outside your house.

We have them and the house is now shrouded in darkness during the winter.

Lovely to drive along, as long as you dont live there!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Let him know you don’t want one. And that you own a spade and have access to a compost bin. It’ll be your tree. You can dig it up as many times as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

GreeBo wrote: »

But aren't those deciduous?

Most trees will eventually grow too large for a small front garden.

ElWalrus, I'd suggest just choosing your own tree instead. It's fun. Does it have to match the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hey, we’re almost neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could just let him plant the tree.
    He will comply with PP.

You might enjoy watching it change with the seasons, birds sitting in it etc.
    If you really don't like it you can relocate it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Just waiting for him to get back to me on what species it is exactly, but looks like they have a few planted around a green area at the front of the estate, and I'm guessing it'll be something similar. I'm useless with tree species, so just trying googling to see if I can find it, but it the tree form is 'fastigiate' (thanks google) so the branches are kind of tight and nearly parallel to the trunk. They're rather small and unimposing now, but not sure what they'll be like when they mature.

Just waiting for him to get back to me on what species it is exactly, but looks like they have a few planted around a green area at the front of the estate, and I'm guessing it'll be something similar. I'm useless with tree species, so just trying googling to see if I can find it, but it the tree form is 'fastigiate' (thanks google) so the branches are kind of tight and nearly parallel to the trunk. They're rather small and unimposing now, but not sure what they'll be like when they mature.
    It's probably a birch. Maybe post a pic including close up of the bark (here or in the gardening forum).

I'm a bit confused as to why this would be in your garden. Presumably the footpath is too narrow for a soft kerb?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

This post has been deleted.
    elperello wrote: »
    You could just let him plant the tree.
    He will comply with PP.

You might enjoy watching it change with the seasons, birds sitting in it etc.
    If you really don't like it you can relocate it next year.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking, the front lawn is on the edges of the property, so it shouldn't be directly in line the sitting room window (east facing) so could be nice if done right. Just worried if it becomes a towering monstrosity down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking, the front lawn is on the edges of the property, so it shouldn't be directly in line the sitting room window (east facing) so could be nice if done right. Just worried if it becomes a towering monstrosity down the line.

Trees can be pruned to keep them from getting out of control.

Wait until the kids are tying balloons to it for a birthday or maybe even climbing it you will love it:)

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Trees can be pruned to keep them from getting out of control.

Wait until the kids are tying balloons to it for a birthday or maybe even climbing it you will love it:)

Not if all the kids in the street are climbing it, he won't love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It will look lovely in 20 years when it's roots are under your shared drive and house foundations pushing them up. Ask them to clarify by email that the tree won't grow to big, roots won't cause issues or blow over in the wind onto the house or car. Will they take full responsibility for it?

If you do plant it and you don't want it, ring it with a penknife close the the ground so that it dies, then blame it on frost / planting....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I'd be buying a chainsaw ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Is this grassy area your private property? If so, and if you don't want the tree, tell them no. They should have planted the tree before selling the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Trees like this are often part of the drainage system these days. They are in our development. The tree varieties are chosen to be suitabe for the location, ie not growing too big or having problematic roots. Try reading what your planning permission has to say about the landscaping & planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My house has the trees on the lawn and side as per PR. The type of trees planted don't overgrow like that. They are there for aesthetics and make the estate look a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The tree will be appropriate for the setting. These guys are not going to shove in a 100 foot oak. It will be something that will enhance the visual aspect and encourage biodiversity in the area. You should be welcoming the tree, it will be an addition to your property.

The mad nature haters these threads encourage never fail to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that trees add 10-20% to the value of your property.
    It will look lovely in 20 years when it's roots are under your shared drive and house foundations pushing them up.
    There are species that don't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

The roots of the tree in my front garden are currently pushing up my cobblelock driveway and coming up under the front boundary wall of the drive causing it to become loose and unsafe. This is in spite of the fact that the tree was cut down 5 years ago! Be very careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

snor wrote: »
    The roots of the tree in my front garden are currently pushing up my cobblelock driveway and coming up under the front boundary wall of the drive causing it to become loose and unsafe. This is in spite of the fact that the tree was cut down 5 years ago! Be very careful!
    Drill holes in the stump and put diesel in it that's supposed to rot the stump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Its better expose fresh wood by cutting the stump again and painting on round-up . repeat treatment every 10 days for a month and it should be dead .

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Really? Would the stump just breaks down then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

My friend installed a wheelchair ramp to comply with planning on his new house. He's in his 30s and fully mobile. The ramp consisted of a few shovels of stones along the steps up to the door, and were removed as soon as the box was ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I recently moved into a new house in your typical leafy suburb, big tree in the front garden, even bigger one on the path outside. Great for privacy but meant we couldn't see out to keep an eye on the kids - a whole day spent sawing and chopping about a dozen big branches and I now have 2 lovely sculpted trees, a big pile of firewood and a clear view of the street :D

It's your garden now - screw what the developer says!

Car99 wrote: »
    Its better expose fresh wood by cutting the stump again and painting on round-up . repeat treatment every 10 days for a month and it should be dead .

No! There's no need for any of that. Diesel and roundup are nasty, nasty things.

Many trees will not regrow from a stump. Some trees will push up new growth using energy stored in the roots, but each time they do that some energy is used up, so if they're pruned back a couple of times they'll die naturally.

Once dead the roots will be broken down naturally.

The problem with leaving roots in the ground is that as they decay they create voids which can cause subsidence. If you want to fix that proactively you can rip them out mechanically, but that creates the same mess you're trying to avoid. So IMO it's better to just leave everything be and let nature take it's course unless you want to plant a new tree in exactly the same position.

Also, a tree stump makes a handy place to sit.

edit: or you can carve it.

TheWhistler_2.jpg

Lumen wrote: »
    But aren't those deciduous?

Most trees will eventually grow too large for a small front garden.

ElWalrus, I'd suggest just choosing your own tree instead. It's fun. Does it have to match the others?

They are, but due to zero maintenance the trees are a solid mass of branches.

Something like this is much more maintainable and wont just continue to grow unabated.

@OP, I'm still not sure you are saying the tree is within your property or outside/alongside?

If its actually on your property then definitely pick your own suitable tree.

The tree will be appropriate for the setting. These guys are not going to shove in a 100 foot oak. It will be something that will enhance the visual aspect and encourage biodiversity in the area. You should be welcoming the tree, it will be an addition to your property.

The mad nature haters these threads encourage never fail to amaze me.

These guys are the same guys who did it 30 years ago, so I would want very explicit details on what they are planning on planting.

Also, while of course trees can be maintained, not everyone wants to own or pay for that responsibility, that doesnt make them wrong or evil.

Not wanting an inappropriate tree over-shadowing your house is not being a nature hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tenigate wrote: »
    My friend installed a wheelchair ramp to comply with planning on his new house. He's in his 30s and fully mobile. The ramp consisted of a few shovels of stones along the steps up to the door, and were removed as soon as the box was ticked.
    Congratulations. He'll have to install it if he wants to sell the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am a bit puzzled by the planning permission aspect. As I understand it, if a tree is within 100' of a house, you have the legal right to deal with it as you wish and do not require a council permit to remove it. I would have thought that would also overrule any planning aspect also.

Make sure they don't plant a Sycamore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am a bit puzzled by the planning permission aspect. As I understand it, if a tree is within 100' of a house, you have the legal right to deal with it as you wish and do not require a council permit to remove it. I would have thought that would also overrule any planning aspect also..

:confused: any link to back that up?

The planning permission that was granted for the development included landscaping therefore the developer is getting around to doing it now.
    OP if you dont want a tree... say no.. its your property the council arent going to issue an enforcement notice over one tree in one garden. That being said I cant understand why you would turn them down, free tree, you maintain it as you see fit, if it starts to get to big after a number of yrs...cut it down... Each to their own I guess!

Advertisement