Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs person

Options
  • 27-11-2017 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've been in and out of different jobs since I was 15 and can't manage to make things stick. I had four different jobs in one year.and even if they where good jobs I didn't earn enough experience in writing. I feel as if I've come to an age now where I need to figure out something for myself but I come here to seek refuge and ask about interesting careers people have taken on and what they did for means of other income, I'm 28years old clock is ticking !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I too went from job to job up until my early 20s so I can relate. You feel you are going no-where and time is... or should I say feel like time has passed you by.

Thing is you have to find out what you want to do. So ask yourself what you have interests in? You can always go to college to learn things if need be. But what would be the point in doing something you're only half hearted about. Doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 geanmage13

What keeps you from staying on one job? Not all of us are lucky to make a living from what we love so I totally feel you on that. Find something that you could stick with and makes you enough money to have the life you want outside of work...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've been in and out of different jobs since I was 15 and can't manage to make things stick. I had four different jobs in one year.and even if they where good jobs I didn't earn enough experience in writing. I feel as if I've come to an age now where I need to figure out something for myself but I come here to seek refuge and ask about interesting careers people have taken on and what they did for means of other income, I'm 28years old clock is ticking !!!

What were the jobs you did?
    Did you quit or were you fired from each job?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Info_hoarder

What were the jobs you did?
    Did you quit or were you fired from each job?

I was 15 when i decided to go into the family business with my father in forestry contracting (lumberjack) stuck at that for a good few years until I was 21 after that I started working in different bars and took on waitering, at one stage I was even working in Tara mines, but in my later years I've been working off sites making a living as a laborer at joinery and roofing after I got into doing cabinet making as an inspiration, but along with all that my spare time was music for my spare time and friends with studios and art had me doing sketches from a young age and graffiti stencils (banksy inspiration)but before I get way to ahead of myself I'm very open to doing different things and just genuinely interested in what other people are doing. I've recently got into wolf of Wall Street lol but the only investing I've done is in Bitcoin, thanks for asking

I was 15 when i decided to go into the family business with my father in forestry contracting (lumberjack) stuck at that for a good few years until I was 21 after that I started working in different bars and took on waitering, at one stage I was even working in Tara mines, but in my later years I've been working off sites making a living as a laborer at joinery and roofing after I got into doing cabinet making as an inspiration, but along with all that my spare time was music for my spare time and friends with studios and art had me doing sketches from a young age and graffiti stencils (banksy inspiration)but before I get way to ahead of myself I'm very open to doing different things and just genuinely interested in what other people are doing. I've recently got into wolf of Wall Street lol but the only investing I've done is in Bitcoin, thanks for asking

Ok so your history seems to be mainly in physical trades jobs (apart from the bars and waitering).

Have you specifically enjoyed any of these jobs that you would like to do again?

A large proportion of the population sit in offices all day in front of a computer doing one thing or another. Do you see yourself being a white collar office worker knocking out the 9-5?

The list of office jobs is a mile long.
    Something that springs to my mind would be a "Facilities Management" role. Its kinda like a jack of all trades position where you manage buildings for a company. Being the point of contact for arranging repairs, making sure everything is run smoothly for other people to be able to use the building.

Ive no idea what sort of training this requires. Probably a generally knowledge of how things work and common sense.

Most office jobs would require some form of training so what do you have an interest in? Computer, accounting, HR, you mentioned trading but this requires a huge number of qualifications and is a dublin/london centric position.

You could get into retail management. Places like Lidl and Aldi have Area Manager hiring and training roles where they start you off and bring you up to speed over 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Info_hoarder

Ok so your history seems to be mainly in physical trades jobs (apart from the bars and waitering).

Have you specifically enjoyed any of these jobs that you would like to do again?

A large proportion of the population sit in offices all day in front of a computer doing one thing or another. Do you see yourself being a white collar office worker knocking out the 9-5?

The list of office jobs is a mile long.
    Something that springs to my mind would be a "Facilities Management" role. Its kinda like a jack of all trades position where you manage buildings for a company. Being the point of contact for arranging repairs, making sure everything is run smoothly for other people to be able to use the building.

Ive no idea what sort of training this requires. Probably a generally knowledge of how things work and common sense.

Most office jobs would require some form of training so what do you have an interest in? Computer, accounting, HR, you mentioned trading but this requires a huge number of qualifications and is a dublin/london centric position.

You could get into retail management. Places like Lidl and Aldi have Area Manager hiring and training roles where they start you off and bring you up to speed over 12 months.

Thanks very much for this, this was pondered over enough to take off into the retail world of vaping e-ciggs helping one person at a time quit smoking

Thanks very much for this, this was pondered over enough to take off into the retail world of vaping e-ciggs helping one person at a time quit smoking

Nice. Is that a self employed thing?

Advertisement