Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expiry date on gift vouchers in city restaurants

Options
  • 27-11-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I was recently buying a gift voucher for a neighbour who did me a good turn, I wanted one for a restaurant where they could have a night out but I was really surprised when I started asking about expiry dates and it took quite a few phonecalls to find a restaurant that didn’t impose an expiry date on their vouchers.

Anyhow it’s now bugbear of mine, what a rip-off the short (or any) expiry date is, so I thought people might find the following useful;

Brasserie on the corner...............6m
    The seafood bar at Kirwans.... 6m
    O’Gradys on the pier......... 6m
    Black Cat................... 6m

Vina Mara.................... 12m
    Kai.................................. 12m

Eventually I was told by Dela that they didn’t have an expiry date but when I went to buy the voucher online (through a 3rd party), there it pops up again…12m expiry.

Pity they don’t follow the lead of this guy, who says;
    "They never go out of date. Our view here at EJ’s is that it’s no better than theft to put an expiry on a gift voucher. A shop may as well take the cash out of your wallet," he told Independent.ie

https://www.independent.ie/business/small-business/looking-for-a-deal-on-black-friday-this-clothes-store-is-selling-gift-vouchers-which-increase-in-value-the-older-they-get-36347791.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Aniar is 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Aniar is 12 months.

Well we got a gift voucher for Brasserie On The Corner in 2015 and used a few weeks ago with no problem the same applied for the Harbour Hotel 2 years old and no problem, in fact there is still some oustanding money on both vouchers and they told us no problem when we want to call again for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i got gifted two vouchers for dulse in barna. went to go a couple of months later and it turned out it had shut shop about 4 days beforehand. bah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

i got gifted two vouchers for dulse in barna

left you a bit salty did it

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I believe you can't put an expiration date on a voucher that someone has paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

topcat77 wrote: »
    I believe you can't put an expiration date on a voucher that someone has paid for.

Incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Aniar are also happy to extend theirs, just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

There's no expiry date on vouchers from Loam.... I am going there tonight with a voucher received last April Whoohoo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

No justification for an expiry date on any voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

FYI quite a few places including Easons or SportsDirect will extend their vouchers if you have the receipt and go to the shop. I would imagine some of the restaurants above might do the same if you chance it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement