Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating broken - Landlord MIA

Options
  • 27-11-2017 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, need some advice.

Heating in the house is broken for several days. Despite repeated attempts to contact landlord via calls and text not getting any response from him regarding looking into this.

At what stage does it become acceptable to fix ourselves and deduct the cost from rent and give him the receipt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Is several days 2 days or 10 days? I suppose I'd send a text or WhatsApp to the 'LL, at least then you can see if it's been read saying you're going to get it fixed and make a deduction from rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Is several days 2 days or 10 days? I suppose I'd send a text or WhatsApp to the 'LL, at least then you can see if it's been read saying you're going to get it fixed and make a deduction from rent.

It's been over a week. House freezing and electric heaters only thing keeping it liveable for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You've made a reasonable effort- and the landlord has had ample opportunity to respond to you.
    Given the time of year, the cold spell etc- I don't think anyone would argue that you haven't made a reasonable attempt to get the landlord to rectify the matter in a reasonable timeframe.

I would send a final message to the landlord- outlining that you have found a local RGI (if its gas) or other reputable person or company to assess and repair the system. Given the time of year and the current cold spell we're experiencing- you have done your best to get the landlord to resolve the issue. As he/she has not done so- you unfortunately are taking matters into your own hand and will, within 48 hours (give him another 2 days from this message)- give the go ahead to (named repairer) to remedy the issue.

You'll have given him ample warning- and there won't be any reason for him to dispute you taking matters into your own hands.

Normally- you'd simply lodge a case with the RTB- stating that the property is not fit for purpose (and I'd suggest it would be prudent to do this- to cover your back)- however, given their stupid turnarounds- I'd go ahead and fix it- and argue everything else as a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Be careful about making a deduction it's a big no no (even though it seems warranted here!).

What I would do is send a polite message along the lines of "I have been trying to contact you for a week, as I have had not heard back I will take it that you would like me to organise the repair. This is 3 days notice that if I do not hear from you within that time I will organise the repair, deduct from rent and submit the receipt to you. If I am incorrect please contact me within 3 days to organise the repair"

Preferably send the above by some method you can verify delivery. The ideal would be a registered letter if you have his address, failing that an email with read receipt or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP, if it's gas it could be low pressure in the system if you only tried to put it on for the first time a week ago? Not that you should need to know how to do this but this is quite easily remedied if you're freezing.

I'd be giving two days absolute max based on info given. I'd probably send notification (cite all previous efforts to contact) tonight with a view to have a plumber call Wednesday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

With what's app when the message hit's their server you get a grey tick in the bottom right corner, when it's hits their phone you get one green tick and when they read it you get two ticks.

Advertisement