Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's 2017 working out?

Options
  • 27-11-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

Just passed the 12,000k mark today, so my goal of 15,000k is not going to happen.

It was always going to be a difficult target for me, what with holidays and the fact that work has a habit of taking up 5 days a week! :)

I'm still going to beat last years total and a good bit of this years distance is due to Racing and not just commuting and club spins. So if I get 13,000+ for 2017, that'll do me.

So how's everyone's plans working out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Set 4000km as my goal and passed it last weekend so happy with that, got some nice cycling done in Majorca this year and also in Flanders so a good year.
    31000m Elev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Passed my elevation goal last week, on track to meet my distance goal but going to fall short of my goal of attending 10 audax/sportive events but not overly disappointed with that. A good year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm at 14,029 kms.
    I was aiming for 15,000 for the year, so all still to play for.
    Just over 94,000 metres elevation
    Ave. speed is up again this year to 28.4kph, so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Having a much better year than I thought I would.
    Back in college a couple of nights a week so set an initial target of 10,000kms and 100,000mts elevation.
    12,800kms and 157,000 done so far so well happy with that ... December usually “falls of a cliff” though!
    Only missed a handful of daily commutes all year so that’s 140kms in the bank every week which really helps!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Disaster! - next question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Did 55kms Valdemossa loop in Majorca in September on a trek emonda carbon/ultegra thing having only ever commuted to work.

Needless to say it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done and now in Black Friday deals I've only gone and bought an Eddy Merckx Mourenx 69 2017 for impending Gran fondos in Wicklow and a Giant SL1 Contend disc for Strava infused commuting (and also so my brother can come out with me to Wicklow)

Half decided to knock the booze on the head this year so looking forward to the cycling

I'm gonna give myself an initial target of 5000kms, this would see me doing more mileage on the bike than the car 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

60 odd km short of my annual distance goal which is good going seeing how I was doing in June. Should make it for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

6118km .....most amount in my strava history and still December to go!
    6849 mtrs climbed.
    0 crashes.......to date.
    Happy Enough!

^^^^^^
    Is your elevation figure correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    Is your elevation figure correct?
    Dunno...Does it look wrong?
    The other number is 37,888mtrs.
    Does that make more sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

Yeah probably. Unless you were riding somewhere pancake flat?

My total distance is less than 2000 kms so far this year (first year of cycling, focus on marathon training, also a first), and yet elevation shows some 11000 meters.

@koutoubia
    37,888 metres seems about right.
    You'd do 600-700 metres of elevation on a Sunday spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭secman

Set a target of 6,000 km for the year as I was hitting 60 this year. Currently standing at 5,688 so should hit the target, Strava has me just ahead of target for most of the year.
    No commuting, or racing for that matter just Billy no mates spins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Broke my 5000km target already but has been a very stop-start year with injuries etc. Biggest difference this year, is the addition of Zwift rides contributing to the overall mileage; previous years would have been noted as an hour on the turbo with no distance registered.

I missed my Ride London target time by a minute!

Happy enough though, and I don't think I'll be anywhere near this figure next year, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I think I had a good year cycling wise. Got into racing and performed respectably in club league and A4 races, I’ve plenty to work on now for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Will hit 12,000 sometime on Thursday AM.

Apart from that I didn’t hit any of my goals. Had hoped to win a Road Race. Came close a few times in the Vets but being crap at sprinting meant my best result was a 5th. Pretty disappointed but there’s always next year.

Highlight was 2nd in the 4-man category in the Race Around Ireland. This year was bloody hard. Non-stop grind. Thankfully I had the best teammates and crew.

Didn’t get to one CX race so that was a washout.

Roll on 2018.

(Shuffles off to research Hamper Races)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Silver medal at the nationals this year, PB in the IP too after no winter and fcuk all training. Disappointed with the time, but happy with it now considering the year I had.
    Did my first stage race on the road and absolutely loved it.
    Vague plans to do the Rás (the real one in Kilkenny :P at some point in the future. Maybe. If it doesn't interfere with track too much :D

Be good to get some sort of a winter from whats left of 2017, haven't had one yet heading into a season, in my head this leads to all kinds of awesome deadly-ness :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think at the start of the year considering I was on crutches recovering from severe ankle francture I'm delighted I'll end up over 5000km. I've exceeded my own target for recovery, did two an post 160s, randonee, w200, Cooley thriller and two xc races. Another enforced layoff from broken arm at cx race may turn out to help my ankle. Building the km back up now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

positron wrote: »
    Yeah probably. Unless you were riding somewhere pancake flat?
    I have it on good authority he does not do uphill unless there is a team car to hold onto....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Diaster for me this year. I have hurt my back 3 times, first injury in June knocked me out till the end of August. Then repeated the injury at the beginning of September and again 3 weeks ago. Total this year is less than 2500km and at this stage not likely to pass 3000km. Fitness is shot to pie es right now and so the winter is going to be hard.

Hopefully next year will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Set a goal of 5k but didn't start cycling until august.
    Currently at 3k so won't make it, but am feeling good about next year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Total disaster of a year here. Going well early in the year, then picked up a bad chest infection June, followed by a sprained ankle and then a serious crash in July which has left me with less than six months of cycling in total. Still find cycling quite painful and being about 5kg heavier not helping either. Hoping to get one or two longish spins in again in December to see if I can find the love for the bike again, but finding it hard work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

currently at 3.7k, so aiming for 4k by year's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

3800km, 37000m elevation so far.

Not as good as I'd like, 2.5k done in first half of year (no commuting) before a new addition to family. Balance in last 2 months solely from commuting as I'm not allowed car anymore during week, or long weekend spins ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm at 7340 km with about 56k elevation (though I'd say it's a bit less) Edit: This is more than the previous 2 years combined, so can't really be unhappy with that

I had planned on just doing as much as possible, but really hoping to get 7500-10000. I'm thinking of going to 7777 and stoping, but will possibly make 8000.

Biggest things were cycling cross country solo in May, tackling the deceptively tough hills of Yorkshire in April, and the amazing cycle up to Sintra in Portugal which I want to do again.

Shoulder has gone awry this week though, so that could be it for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Just passed the 12,000k mark today, so my goal of 15,000k is not going to happen.

It was always going to be a difficult target for me, what with holidays and the fact that work has a habit of taking up 5 days a week! :)

I'm still going to beat last years total and a good bit of this years distance is due to Racing and not just commuting and club spins. So if I get 13,000+ for 2017, that'll do me.

So how's everyone's plans working out?

Just shy of 7000k at the moment, was hoping for 7500 and should manage that.
    Just over 84k elevation.
    Big believer in quality over quantity and I'd say that 90% of what I do is very intense training. Only started commuting recently (1 day a week, I've done 2 days of it!) so everything else is proper training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Still ticking over. Will need a couple of big weeks to hit 19,000km for the year, hopefully the weather plays ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I'm happy out the way this year went, kept with young lads half my age on the fast spins and this weekend will get me to 5000km this year with 55k elevation, no commuting so all solo and club spins
    The target for next year is 7000km :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    I have it on good authority he does not do uphill unless there is a team car to hold onto....

He has been know to be the team car that is held on to ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Bit of a disaster really, target at start of year was 8000 - 8500k to include a 7th Wicklow 200 and then part of 4 man team taking part in RAI. Came off bike slowing down outside coffee shop at end of January and broke bone in shoulder which had me off bike of 4 weeks. Then had 2nd accident in April following incident with 40 foot trailer, ended up with 4 broken vertebrae and spent 20 weeks in a brace (neck and upper body). Luckily no permanent damage but missed the RAI and nearly 5 months off the bike. Back cycling but only short distances as still not 100% healed.
    Will still cross 4000k for the year but will not be sorry when this year is over.

Advertisement