Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's 2017 working out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Having had fairly major shoulder surgery just last Saturday I'm done cycling for the year and probably for the forseeable future... still pretty happy with the year, approx 6000kms on the fancy bike and probably another 4000kms on the beater both commuting and getting around the city. Lots of spins around the counrty and managed a few sportifs in for the first time in years which was great. My only regret is not getting carbon bars sooner in the year, the difference it made to my back and shoulder pain was unreal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Then had 2nd accident in April following incident with 40 foot trailer, ended up with 4 broken vertebrae and spent 20 weeks in a brace (neck and upper body).
    this accident was also on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I started cycling in January with a average of speed of 19km/h and a distance target of 2017km

I hit the 2017km target in August, so I changed it to 2017 miles, I'm currently about 90km short of that so it shouldn't be a problem.

I also set 25+ other targets at the start of the year, one of them (get half way up this leaderboard) is proving difficult(12th of 14 at the moment) and will drag into next year but thats fine.

The distance was my main target for the year, I'll hit that so overall I'm pretty happy

I've already set about 15 targets for next year ... :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

this accident was also on the bike?

Yes, cycling on hard shoulder with head down, trailer parked on hard shoulder and bang !! (never saw it )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

A whopping 2,700k for me so far. Not a failure per se but an achievement given that I only started back when the Swords league began. Oh and I ran the Dublin Marathon too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'd aimed for 5,000km for the year - currently on 4,472km and 75km behind pace according to Strava. I was way behind during the summer so think I should be able to just about reach the target, pending limited Christmas nights out and allowing for the fact that the last week of December will be pretty much a no-go!

only problem is the majority of that is commuting miles. next year i'll be aiming for much more of a balance between commuting and leisure spins and setting a higher target too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    A whopping 2,700k for me so far. Not a failure per se but an achievement given that I only started back when the Swords league began. Oh and I ran the Dublin Marathon too!

You ran? This is a cycling forum...running doesn't count :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭secman

Yes, cycling on hard shoulder with head down, trailer parked on hard shoulder and bang !! (never saw it )

Jeez that's sounds painful, speedy recovery to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Broke the 10,000km target on Sunday, a month earlier than last year. Hadn't set a climbing target but I'm at 82,790m with hopefully a few more spins to come yet. No commuting but lots of club spins and thirteen sportives/charity rides. Must sign up to VeloViewer.com again to get their fancy end of year graphic - last year's one below.

qx1dns.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Terrible for me. I'm around 5000kms, had hoped for a lot more than that, considering I had a two week spell where I did 1/5th of that it's not great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

11,400 kms for me so well on target for 12k which was an aim
    Rode well in IVCA and A4 races with out any great placings (a few top tens)
    A 2 day in Cong as well which was good craic (super DS Koutobia)
    Did some Swords league ones for fun too
    Cross wise did 3 peaks which was an experience !
    Riding some other ones too and going well.
    Week in Girona and some great cycling there as well.
    Crashed twice and few more facial scars to add to the collection.....
    Overall good year and met some great people.
    Am privileged to go cycling with great people every week and enjoy it immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Plastik wrote: »
    Still ticking over. Will need a couple of big weeks to hit 19,000km for the year, hopefully the weather plays ball!

Wow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

RobFowl wrote: »
    Am privileged to go cycling with great people every week and enjoy it immensely.

Couldn't (and didn't) put it better myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

After doing reasonably well the last few years, 2017 wasn't great. A prolonged bout of bronchitis in May absolutely floored me. Measly total of 2292km ytd which doesn't please me. Roll on 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Tipping along here much the same as last year and the year before, just north of 10,500km and just south of 90k climbing, would hope to comfortably get over the 11,000km mark but not particularly chasing any figure.

It's been a good year mostly though I missed out on quite a few sportives I had hoped to get to, just did the Orwell Randonnee and the WW200, longest spin was a 316km spin down to Kerry (into a headwind all the way) and biggest week of climbing was a few weeks ago in Tenerife with 10k meters in 6 days on the bike.

Did a few club league races with the usual lack of success and got a nice few TT's in with a few PBs along the way so happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Will be lucky to hit 6,500km for the year with 60km of upward travel.

No commute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Strava is telling me I'm 68km a head of my 8000km target. What it doesnt tell me is that I reduced that target down from 10000km earlier in the year. My biggest problem is that I'm not consistent enough.

Distance: 7,344.5 km
    Time: 287h 54m
    Elev Gain: 56,789 m
    Rides: 312

• Registered Users Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭billyhead

Currently at 8,500km between commuting, the very seldom weekend spin and on the beater. Could be worse and could be better too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

9,685 from initial target of 5,000.
    Planning to hit 10,000 by next Friday as my own birthday gift.

My 15,000k is looking more likely tonight! Drunk driver crashed into my parked car this evening! Looks like I'll be cycling everyday now! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    My 15,000k is looking more likely tonight! Drunk driver crashed into my parked car this evening! Looks like I'll be cycling everyday now! :(
    That was a lovely motor. Was it 'written off'? Hope you get sorted.

That was a lovely motor. Was it 'written off'? Hope you get sorted.

Thanks WA...feeling very angry! Yeah it's borderline write off...I'll know more when I get a proper look at it tomorrow! His car ended up on the bonnet of my car! :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks WA...feeling very angry! Yeah it's borderline write off...I'll know more when I get a proper look at it tomorrow! His car ended up on the bonnet of my car! :mad:

Sounds like a write off to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll hit 6,000km, 50,000m in only 40 rides before this weekend!

No commutes or school runs are recorded.

Sorry to hear that, but car can be replaced, people can't. Hopefully the insurance gets you sorted quickly and to your satisfaction.

Currently at 17,860kms with 138,000m climbed - down a good bit on this time last year.

(I moved house 4 times during the year so was a bit all over the place).

I set 3 goals - none of which I achieved. One was to do a 400k ride, the second was to redo the 2016 Evil Ride and finish it this time. I can't remember what the third goal was.

Currently at 17,860kms with 138,000m climbed - down a good bit on this time last year.

(I moved house 4 times during the year so was a bit all over the place).

I set 3 goals - none of which I achieved. One was to do a 400k ride, the second was to redo the 2016 Evil Ride and finish it this time. I can't remember what the third goal was.

Find a house ....... maybe

secman wrote: »
    Find a house ....... maybe
    LOL - well played! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Pretty well at the moment!

434754.jpg

Not pictured: Enniscrone CX and 2 rounds of Navan (ridiculous "marathon" style numbers)

After finally getting into some consistent training in 2016 and seeing progress, I had a great CX season. Consistently getting up to the pointy end in races. Then I started to lose form in December, loss of power.

Did nationals in January with a massive lump in my neck. What I thought was something benign turned out to be lymphoma. Fast forward and after a few rounds of chemo I was back on the bike in June. Last man up Cruagh, then got towed around Kerry on the Orwell summer weekend away.

If you had told me 6 months ago that I would be back racing cross this year, I would have smirked and said "I doubt that". But thanks to some great doctors and treatment, I'm lucky enough to be packfill in the B races. Nowhere near the results this time around, but just to be back riding a bike for fun is an amazing feeling I will try not to take for granted in 2018.

To everyone above: Those aren't targets missed. Every single kilometer on the bike is a moment that could have been wasted doing something far less enjoyable or healthy.

EDIT: 3598.6km for the year (although I don't record my commutes and do a lot of wattbike cycles...excuses!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's basically my first year of having a bike, I bought it for commuting on the bike to work scheme just after last Xmas, and it's worked out great. I've probably cycled to work 70% of the time this year, have enjoyed it a lot, have got some exercise in. Haven't tracked how many KMs I've done but it would be in the region of 2500 which I'm fine with.

Advertisement