Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's 2017 working out?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    although I don't record my commutes
    i record mine - if it was just 4km each way i'd not bother, but it's a good 45 minutes each way so i decided why the hell not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

i record mine - if it was just 4km each way i'd not bother, but it's a good 45 minutes each way so i decided why the hell not.

How do you record this, is it through an app?

I imagine I'm around the 4K mark. Solely commuting.

I doff my cap to the folk who get up on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i use strava - you can download it to your phone and get most features you'd need without paying subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'm the same and it's really the main driver of my mileage ytd. 31km return journey on my commute. i use my garmin for it and occasionally feel like a bit of a plank having it out front on my hybrid which also has a pannier rack and a weeride mounting bar but for the most part couldn't give a sh1te how it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm the same ... 140kms a week on the single speed is worthy of recording in my book!!:)

• Advertisement

i use my garmin for it
    i usually just use my phone to record the commute - but interestingly, my garmin records a lower average speed than the phone does. i guess the strava android app has a different threshold for moving vs. stopped, so records you as moving for longer, but your total distance is still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

C3PO wrote: »
    Wow!!

I made a bit of a lifestyle choice a few years ago to get off the bus and dart for commuting into Dublin city centre. The seemingly never-ending year on year increases in the annual tax saver pass combined with the lack of bus/dart integration, and a move of house all made me question whether it was worth my while at all given that I was already on the bike part-time, fair weather. Made the jump to full time commuting by bike and haven't looked back.

So today is 202 days this year that I'll have commuted a 45km round trip, Bray to Dublin 2. Trains on strike? Added 3 minutes to my commute. Crazy traffic last week because of heavy rain? I think that added 4 minutes. The days that the weather is worst makes you appreciate the bike all the more - once you get out the door in the morning.

Mileage split this year about 50/50 commuting/leisure. Between 225km a week on the commute, regularly extending Tuesdays and Thursdays to be 100km days all-in with training or club league, and either a long spin or race at the weekend of anywhere between 100-200km I would regularly clock up 400km weeks and not so regularly (but often enough) 500km weeks.

Racing A2, I've thought about paring it back a bit to try and be more competitive against the A1 field, but at my age mid-30's I'm facing diminishing returns and I know I'm not going to be getting over the Elliott with these 18-25 year old superstars. I couldn't do it though, I couldn't curtail the lifestyle choice of the bike to focus on it simply being a racing tool given what that would entail in other areas.

The mileage doesn't be long racking up though when you're trying to juggle all the balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What I meant is, my "actual" total would be higher if I added on the ~200km a month! Plus, the indoor cycling (another 2 hrs a week) would double that total if it were on the road.

Plastik wrote: »
    at my age mid-30's I'm facing diminishing returns and I know I'm not going to be getting over the Elliott with these 18-25 year old superstars.
    here's a thought - call it the mb number.
    your km x your age.
    i.e. a 60 year old cycling 10k per year is more deserving of praise than a 25 year old doing the same*

my mb number is 154k. still not going to win any awards...

citation required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

07Lapierre wrote: »
    My 15,000k is looking more likely tonight! Drunk driver crashed into my parked car this evening! Looks like I'll be cycling everyday now! :(

And I thought I was bad breaking the front suspension from simply sitting into the car yesterday morning. I clearly need to eat less cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

your km x your age.
    i.e. a 60 year old cycling 10k per year is more deserving of praise than a 25 year old doing the same*

citation required.

I like that.
    My mb number is 930,600

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

40 years old and started racing as an A4, won one and a 4th place saw me upgraded to A3, a successful year.

I will hopefully notch up 10k Road kms with many turbo hours added as well. Wicklow 200 was another highlight even though I suffered greatly.

another permutation - the beasty number. (km cycled) x (number of weeks that crashes have kept you off the bike)
    a thankful 0 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

your km x your age.

citation required.
    896,000 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Just passed the 12,000k mark today, so my goal of 15,000k is not going to happen.

So how's everyone's plans working out?

I'm doing awesomely this year.. A whopping 55km..

I think i took my time off the bike too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

4250km of my 5000km target done, had a quiet oct/nov

4 weeks to hit the target

Happy out for the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Well - there goes 2017.

I expect to end up at 6,800km - lowest in a good few years. Got a right dose at the start of the year that really cut down on the kms though Jan and Feb. 'thought I'd top off the year with another bout coughing and sneezing this month. I don't expect to be back on the bike until the new year. Legs didn't really feel right for a lot of the year. Having said that 2017 was pretty ok - managed to get to the Tourmalet and Mont Ventoux and did a few slow sportifs. Distance is mainly down due to reduced commuting rather than weekends. Roll on 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Won't quite get to 5000km. I got fed up with motorists September/ October time so did more off road/ more turbo which has probably cost me distance wise. Although enjoyed the off road, so waiting to see what the post christmas sales may bring!

curently at 3.9k for the year, haven't been out in ten days due to various things. hope to round off the 4k in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Set a target of 6,000 km for the year as I was hitting 60 this year. Currently standing at 5,688 so should hit the target, Strava has me just ahead of target for most of the year.
    No commuting, or racing for that matter just Billy no mates spins :)

Currently stuck on 5,863.... hurt my back 2 weekend's ago :( hoping to get out next weekend, have joined up to do the festive 500 km.... right now unlikely to happen, may have to settle for limping over the line to get 6,000 km target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Distance wise I will have covered around 9,700km

Good parts
    Decent distance with plenty of climbing
    In July I did a 58:51 in Connacht 40km TT. First solo TT at that distance

Not so good parts
    Had hoped to pick up more A4 points but was lacking in sprints. Race tactics need to improve more

As robfowl said earlier it was a privilege to go cycling with great people every week and enjoy it immensely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

157km needed to get my goal of 7500kms.
    Hope to get it done this week as tomoro is my last day at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

12'000km in a year: expected
    150'000m elevation: expected

Everesting: done
    Wicklow Way in 1 day: done
    Organizing an epic gravel ride: done
    Midsummer's night mountain spin: not done.

More than I bargained for in fairness. Feel mentally tired but happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Managed to hit 10 000 last week. Also somehow managed to convince wife I need a new bike. So just looking at these sweet and shiny Trek carbon bikes atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Don't remember setting any targets for the year, but just passed 4000Km, which isn't too bad for me seeing as I only did 300Km in all of Feb and March and zero in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hit the 5k mark the other day so happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Having not cycled in 30 years, I bought the bike 2nd hand in the last week of March this year. Should break 8500km by year end (all recreational, no commuting). Well pleased.:)

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Having not cycled in 30 years, I bought the bike 2nd hand in the last week of March this year. Should break 8500km by year end (all recreational, no commuting). Well pleased.:)

1,000 kms a month, well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Impressive

I think you win his thread

• Advertisement

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Impressive

I think you win his thread

I agree. time for a new bike?

Advertisement