Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's 2017 working out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I agree. time for a new bike?

Ha ha, trying to convince Mrs MTM on the merits of the n+1 formula. Lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Ha ha, trying to convince Mrs MTM on the merits of the n+1 formula. Lol:D

Just buy a new one the same colour as the old one - she'll probably not notice (mine didn't! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

Poor year for me overall. It started well after training camp in Gran Canaria but got a chest infection in march and was off the bike for the bones of 2 months, felt I wasn't fit to race so did a few sportives including the time megeve in France in June, which was a total sufferfest, also did an audax for the first time this year. Should hit 8000 km for the year, my worst total in 5 or 6 years. 2018 can't come quick enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

OK year. Aimed for 12,000 but am well short, prob finish with about 9600. Main aim was to get to A1 and managed that. Need to do a lot more next year though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Bambaata wrote: »
    OK year. Aimed for 12,000 but am well short, prob finish with about 9600. Main aim was to get to A1 and managed that. Need to do a lot more next year though

That’s a great achievement!

I got just over 8,000. Much less than the hoped for /planned 12,000km. I did get in 32 days skiing though.

My summer cycling plans and fitness were ruined by recurring urinary infections/symptoms. Had no energy/power. Just commuted /slogged 30km per day. Felt better early Sept and managed my longest cycle of the year — a 130km tour of Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife is crippled with the flu at the moment, and i think she's just passed it on to me, so i suspect my year is complete. thankfully just edged over the 4,000km mark yesterday (to 4,001km). i'd have been kicking myself had i not done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I did get in 32 days skiing though.

Jealous.com!!
    8k for such an affected year is good going. I'd no such excuse, just laziness

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hit my 12k Sat.
    Happy Christmas all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Only managed 3820km this year. I'd really bad year cycling wise. . But I'm going to do m2m solo this july , kinda a 40th birthday present to myself so hope to double/ triple my efforts come jan

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

<1K km on Strava, probably 6-7K KM if commuting were counted.

All gonna change in Jan with the new club membership #joiningTheSlowBrigade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

9,689kms done and coming out the other side of a hefty cold n cough, now do i try to get 10,000kms in for the year???

Hell yeah.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Just passed 5,000km today. Delighted with that for my first year of "proper" cycling. Didn't realise I was close to that until mid Dec so it's a nice round figure to finish off the year. Onwards to the Wicklow 200 next summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

6119km with 67417m climbing. Would like to have done more, especially the hills but been very lazy the last few weeks, a niggling back injury combined with end of year lack of motivation has seen me doing only a hundred km this month but I am going to hit 2018 with a vengeance.
    I set a few targets and hit most.
    Highlights were the Orwell randonee, MB200 and Reservoir Dog. I did some club league racing and got my ass handed to me. Had a fantastic few days in Northern Spain. Tackled the Angliru and Covadonga again taking 15 and 6 minutes respectively off my previous times and also climbing the Jitu Escarandi, Puerto San Glorio from both sides and La Cubilla.
    Really can't complain too much, roll on the new year :)

There you go Devon.

tfOG692KEB3wcGCEYYz2Af0A3hMYy3AGR5UYocXco5I?dl=0&size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

as above a summary

@ED E
    cheers
    what was i doing wrong?
    etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got in around 12km but I was out of the country for 12 weeks and couldn’t cycle while away.
    We also moved Office in Feb which doubled my commute.

Should get close to 18 or 20 next year.

Most look back and see how many parts I went through.

Several chains and casette, bottom brackets , wheels , tyres, rear mech, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭secman

Will fall shy of my target of 6k km by a measly 92km all due to a miserable December and a current back issue, was ahead of target all year until the last month, pain in the butt. First target of 2018 will be to try and the back issue resolved.

devonp wrote: »
    @ED E
    cheers
    what was i doing wrong?
    etc

Just dropbox being clever with the links really. You have to open the link they gave you (short ish) and then right click the image to get its full path (much longer link). That way it can be embed rather than try to send users to Dropbox.com. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

972km for the year. Another useless year on the bike

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

strava2017.png

Maybe another 1000-1500km in commuting, numbers aren't impressive but cycling has kept me healthy ,happy and sane once again this year so I consider 2017 a success!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just back in from the Duleek sportif where managed brisk ton to finish the year.
    12,210kms in the end an dloved almost every minute of it.
    Happy new year have a great cycling 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Managed just a tick under 7,000 with 75k of uphill, which is a very good year for me considering almost all of the first 3 months were blank. That includes c 900km of virtual rides which I'm not 100% convinced are legit for inclusion but it excludes commutes (too short). Targets were 6k, new bike, no crashes and successful trip to French Alps and all were achieved so overall I'm very happy and keen to get going on 2018 with a drastically increased target.

I don't count virtual rides but if you want to thats fine. Each to their own and the important thing is to enjoy it !

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    I don't count virtual rides but if you want to thats fine. Each to their own and the important thing is to enjoy it !

I'd have even less to report if I could not include my indoor training!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ended terribly for me. Nothing outside the commute to college a few times for November and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

2017 was all about elevation for me. Completed La Marmotte and La Purito back to back. Not sure what 2018 will hold for me. Getting a bit fed up with the road, so may take things off-road for 2018.
    437458.png

Targets for next year: La Purito and not hitting the CX season burnt out and losing interest on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Targets for next year: La Purito and not hitting the CX season burnt out and losing interest on the bike.

Odd that. The tax man losing interest. Yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

35d56z4.png

Pretty chuffed with this as it's my second year breaking the 10k mark. About 60% of it was on club spins (big thanks to Wardie & Frank), there were ten sportives and two trips abroad - the Hospice Cycle in Portugal and a Cycling Safari's trip in Croatia/Slovenia/Italy.

Must do's for 2018 include the Orwell Randonnee, MB200, Reservoir Dog, Causeway Coast, Hospice Cycle to Croatia/Slovenia and maybe some of the 4 Peaks Cycle Challenge. I think I also said somewhere that I would give the Evil a shot but I don't think that was a binding commitment ��.

Beasty wrote: »
    I'd have even less to report if I could not include my indoor training!

TBF I don't include it cos the only indoor bit I did this year was setting up the Turbo for Mrs Fowl to rehab her knee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

so i'll attempt to post the Veloviewer summary again below

highlight was doing the boards.ie Evil (solo) and hopefully with 1 more Audax this Jan get my first RRTY(but prob wont aim for a 2nd consec..unlike the mighty namelessPhil, who has 4 i believe on the trot!!)

FaPzdKVI4C1psLkvFGu19ZnMORBqq342IytjzDU_L9U?preserve_transparency=1&size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

happy new year

Advertisement