Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's 2017 working out?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

devonp wrote: »
    so i'll attempt to post the Veloviewer summary again

I had downloaded mine as an image and then uploaded it on TinyPic to get the BB code. Copying and pasting the code onto a Boards post always works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't do Strava, but my stats for the year are:

Distance: 15,102kms
    Elevation: 100,429metres.
    Ave. speed: 28.3kph
    No falls and three punctures(two discovered after spin)
    and most importantly my mb number is 996,732, even though another 50k would have put me over a million.

Today's Sportive in Duleek pushed me over 15,000kms for distance and over 100,000 metres for climbing.
    My highlights were the Orwell Randonnee and Gran Fondo in Belfast, where I improved last year's time by almost an hour.

And I enjoyed every kilometre, whether alone or in company.
    Looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

One more good spin in Wicklow or the Blooms would have got me over 12,000km and 100,000M but still happy with 2017, the ****ty weather around harvest time meant I had a bad Aug/Sept but got going again later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ended up 145km short of 10k target due to a horrible illness over Xmas, pretty disappointed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

dahat wrote: »
    Ended up 145km short of 10k target due to a horrible illness over Xmas, pretty disappointed tbh.

Yerra, Jaysus. Be proud of the 9855 & don't sweat the 145!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

One question: what do those for living who can do 10-15k a year?? I can't even get near to 5k a year, thanks to bloody 12hr shift work. Or it's just me? Time for change then!
    Kudos to everyone pushing their their pedals regularly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Remember, in less than 2 hours, we all go back to zero. Fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Just over 2000km, happy out as the year before it was Zero. Hoping to double it for 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yerra, Jaysus. Be proud of the 9855 & don't sweat the 145!:)

Actually I just checked my own totals out of curiosity and I'm about 100km short of ten grand as well!!!

Curses!! :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tonight's commute home has brought another great year to a close. A bit less than last year but better than I anticipated. :)

C3nkfw1h.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

dahat wrote: »

That’s a pity but you did the right thing by listening to your bod. 145km is nothing. You had a good year and pushing for more when I’ll could impact on your fitness more than its worth! (Been there, and your bod always has the last say) You can get 11k in next year!

Back on the bike this year after a few years away , and riding for fun but still did 2 sportives or 100 and 160km. Total for the year was just under 7000km I'm not really one for strava and only recently got a phone it would work on so maybe that will push me further next year.

Got some health issues myself at the minute in the form of a pain in the arse so off the the bike for a week or two till that heals.

Highlight for me this years we my wee one coming off her stabilisers and her being old enough now to watch the cycling on TV and call me if the commentators get excited while I'm off tending to chores, she got super animated when the big crash in the Giro happened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

padyjoe wrote: »
    One question: what do those for living who can do 10-15k a year?? I can't even get near to 5k a year, thanks to bloody 12hr shift work. Or it's just me? Time for change then!
    Kudos to everyone pushing their their pedals regularly!!
    I cycle 60km each day to and from work. Doesn’t take much longer than driving or bussing.

With a 12 hour shift I’m guessing that you work something like 3 on and 4 off and vice versa. That’s loads of time to clock up miles

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

My January got off to a flying start. At one point I was 800km ahead of target. Then I had a death to contend with. Then I went on holidays. Then I came back. Then I had another death to contend with. Then I got the dreaded 'saddle sores' (5 weeks off). Ended up throwing a dive from work one day in late December solely to get me over 5000km- so I ended up at 5100km. It was 900km short of the target but not bad all things considered.

On the plus side I felt no guilt throwing that wobbler to achieve my aim. Although I did crap myself I'd have an incident or a fall at the same time.

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards so roll on 2018 so I can leave this Annus Horribilus (or whatever it's called) behind me.

Kudos to all who achieved their aims and to those who tried but for whatever reason didn't manage to do so. See you on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Highlight for me this years we my wee one coming off her stabilisers and her being old enough now to watch the cycling on TV and call me if the commentators get excited while I'm off tending to chores, she got super animated when the big crash in the Giro happened :D
    My 'wee one' turned sweet sixteen today. You just reminded me that about 7 or 8 years ago we were watching the opening time trial of one of the grand tours. I can't recall which one it was now but the TT was 16.5kms. I was explaining to her that it was the exact same distance of my commute (at the time) yet the pro's were doing it in 20 odd minutes whereas it took me 32-35 minutes. She thought about it for a while and then said " Yes daddy, but they don't close the roads for you and you have to stop at the lights and take your clothes with you".

That's my girl! :D

My 'wee one' turned sweet sixteen today. You just reminded me that about 7 or 8 years ago we were watching the opening time trial of one of the grand tours. I can't recall which one it was now but the TT was 16.5kms. I was explaining to her that it was the exact same distance of my commute (at the time) yet the pro's were doing it in 20 odd minutes whereas it took me 32-35 minutes. She thought about it for a while and then said " Yes daddy, but they don't close the roads for you and you have to stop at the lights and take your clothes with you".

That's my girl! :D

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!! :D My one is at the raging we have to stop for lights stage when she's on the bike with me so I regularly hear "Oh , not again dad" from her seat on the school run bike.

EDIT: That was another highlight this year, a family friend passing on a child seat to us. Reminds me of that Clint Eastwood movie with the monkey, "right turn Clide Lily" and sticks her wee arm out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Despite going back to college part-time I still had a pretty good year - on the bike 333 days, 13,600kms, 165,000mts climbed and 565 hours! Commuting hail, rain or snow made a big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Had a busy year packed full of events and trips away, did the 146k required to get up to 3k in the last few days. It’s more but I rarely record my commute.

Anyway this years motto will be to always seize the opportunity to get out because tomorrow could be raining!

Aiming for 6k for 2018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Wasn't on the bike near as much this year compared to the previous 4 or 5; maybe 4.5k or so.

Got to organise my first event, and managed not to get anyone hurt on the byroads of South Tipp and West Waterford. Hopefully I'll be able to do more in future with Audax Ireland

We had twin boys due in early May but they came a little early; the first little boy died after 2 days. Since then his little brother, my wife, family along with the bike have got me out of bed in the morning.

The simple pleasure of a solo spin on country byroads, Sunday spin with club mates or a friend is a wonderful thing. Don't take it for granted.

Have entered 600 version tinat.cymru for June but we'll see how things go in meantime. 3 Rivers 300 is an as an event in April and will hopefully ride that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

So sorry to hear about your little boy ford, may he rest x
    I'm sure his brother is wearing you all out in his honour.

Best of luck with the event, which one is/was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Very sorry for your loss Ford2600, as a twin myself I know how much having your twin brother/sister means, its a unique bond unlike any other, losing them must be truly awful for both the sibling and parents, regardless of age.

For me I hit my 7500kms goal on Christmas eve, then didnt cycle until new years eve. Managed a shade over 7550 and just over 90k elevation. Very happy with this years cycling, seen lots of improvement and more importantly, i've enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

very sorry for your loss ford2600 but glad to hear that you have the combination of such support and an outside interest as well as what i'm sure is an amazing little boy to focus on. wishing you and your family the best.

on 2017, i came up 6km short of my 5,000km target! i'd hit 4,994km by dec 21st but decided that the best part of 2 weeks off the bike ahead of starting afresh this morning was more appealing than going out to hit a notional target for no other benefit.

this year am going to aim for 6,000km and do at least one sportive / long cycle with mates. let's see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just started cycling in Mid August on an old mountain bike I've had for years. Decided this was the year, so after 4 years of over indulgance and pure laziness (also hitting 14.5 stone didn't help, being 5'9) I started off with 6/7km runs. Nearly coughed up a lung after the first couple of runs, but it got easier. Sept took the plunge and bought an old 2nd hand Trek 7.3 hybrid. Managed to chalk up 1033km in the 6 months. Needless to say my goal now is 5000km this year, and a new road bike coming soon:-) Doing 25-35k runs but looking at doing some much longer ones....Also lost a stone so far....looking forward to 2018:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very sorry to hear that ford2600

Aimed for 6000km at about midway through the year and hit 5902km but the bad weather and ice of the last two weeks in December put paid to getting to the goal. Happy enough though with my total but sick as a dog at the moment so haven't started 2018 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sorry for your loss ford2600.

Final total (including turbo guestimates) 4961.36km. I would've bloody gone out for a 40km spin new years eve if I'd copped that, or gone road bike over mtb for my new years eve eve spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Sorry for your loss Ford2600

Was aiming for 12k just limped across the line of 10,020 for the year including 500 for the Rapha Festive 500.

Other milestones of 2 200k spins were just dreams to be put back on the list for this year.

Climbing was also nowhere close 76k out of the planned 100k. Its hard to get spins of 1000+ without just repeating hills.

Anyway heres to 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

So sorry for your loss ford2600. No words really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I could sense you were not full yourself in the few conversations we had in the meanwhile and your posting, but would never expect / imagine the real reason behind it...

So sad to hear Ford. You've lost one spark, may the other shine twice as bright for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just after browsing the forum and came upon your post. Condolences ford2600, sometimes in this hectic world we live in, the simple things get taken for granted. Hope this year is a better one for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

2017 worked out pretty OK for me.

Having managed to put up 8,000km in 2016, I decided to have a crack at reaching 10,000km for 2017. The year started off great as I was office bound for the first four months which allowed me to commute more than usual. I was heading for well over 6,500 by the end of June. Then I got a few set backs. About two weeks before I went on holiday, a nasty saddle sore cropped up followed by an equally nasty head cold. I headed off to Spain with the bike and antibiotics for my saddle sore. The head cold cleared a few days into the holiday but the saddle sore didn't quit. Still, I managed a few spins in Spain. The most I ever sweated was while climbing the short but steep Monte Igueldo in San Sebastian.

I was back with the GP for different antibiotics in August. Thankfully, the new antibiotics started to make a difference and I was back to normal mileage by October.

I passed the 10,000km mark in November and was hoping to get to 11,000 by year end. Then more crap got in the way. I was on the road with work, got another (not so nasty) head cold and bruised a rib in a bad way over Christmas.

I finished the year with a shade under 10,500km and a couple of hundred meters short of 70,000m.

The rib is starting to heal so I'm hoping to begin my 2018 cycling year in a week or so. I'm into month 4 of a 6 month course of antibiotics that will hopefully end the saddle sore saga - caused by a saddle that was too narrow on a bike I bought last year :rolleyes:

Advertisement