Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractor accident, site says it's nothing to do with them

Options
  • 27-11-2017 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi, just looking for advice

My company works on various sites as 'embedded' contractors . we usually go in to manufacturing plants and control the spare parts for production lines.

We always have an on-site contact who is our liaison.

Basically , two weeks ago my colleague had an accident, and has broken a bone in his leg.
    He is only a young man with a small child and is going to be out of work at least until Christmas.

The task he was performing was unloading a trailer, the trailer was backed up to a temporary ramp, the ramp gave way causing the forklift to be jammed between the ramp and the trailer.
    The thing is , I had identified the task as unsafe, had reported to our employer on at least three occasions , and a couple of weeks before this had refused to carry out the task on the grounds of Health and Safety.
    The young lad (licensed) was continuously pressured to unload these trailers, even though our employer had sent a risk assessment to the site contact listing recommendations, nothing was done

Our company has completed accident reports but I am unsure if it has been reported to the HSA , but the site has washed it's hands saying 'he wasn't working for us'

It is my understanding that if any equipment gives way or collapses on site , then it should be reported, also that the site does have a duty of care to anybody working on the site

Am I right in this belief? I think that both our employer and the site have a responsibility to ensure conditions that are safe for us to work in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

over 3 days off is a mandatory notification to the HAS. I assume his employer would do that, but there is HSA guidance on their website.
    Hope the young lad has a solicitor

Advertisement