Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a Job in Boston ( J1 graduate Visa)

Options
  • 27-11-2017 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I've been in Boston for almost two months, applying for jobs in pharmaceutical / biotech companies.
    Have a degree in chemistry and about a year of experience in a large (american) pharmaceutical company in Ireland.
    The visa is restrictive in the types of jobs you can get, been searching everyday for jobs in several different states and have had no success so far.
    At the same time I'm hemorrhaging money staying in different Airbnbs every week, not wanting to commit to a lease in case I manage to land a job somewhere else.
    Just wondering if anyone else has been on this visa and how they got on applying for jobs etc. if they have any advice.
    It's really starting to seem like an extremely expensive mistake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Duffman K wrote: »
    I've been in Boston for almost two months, applying for jobs in pharmaceutical / biotech companies.
    Have a degree in chemistry and about a year of experience in a large (american) pharmaceutical company in Ireland.
    The visa is restrictive in the types of jobs you can get, been searching everyday for jobs in several different states and have had no success so far.
    At the same time I'm hemorrhaging money staying in different Airbnbs every week, not wanting to commit to a lease in case I manage to land a job somewhere else.
    Just wondering if anyone else has been on this visa and how they got on applying for jobs etc. if they have any advice.
    It's really starting to seem like an extremely expensive mistake.

Are you on linkedIn? The absolute best way to network with recruiters and search for jobs. Get on it now and start networking. Adding every single recruiter in the area.

Edit: Does your old company have an office in Boston? Maybe try with them?

Can you pick up basic student work to keep the money coming in?

Stay in a hostal instead of airbnb's. Or a motel if you need a little more comfort than hostal. Look at moving a little outside the city where rent might be cheaper while you job hunt....airbnb prices will also be cheaper.

Don't give up

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gg1993

Hi Duffman K,
    I feel really sorry for you and understand exactly what you are going through as I was in the exact same situation as you.The first  piece of advice I can offer you is to you contact USIT and ask them which company's other interns with your degree worked for,at least this way when you contact these companies you can be confident that they have a general idea about how the visa works at it takes away the lengthy and tedious task of having to explain and promote the visa to them.If you have any further questions I would be more then happy to help,I know how awful this whole process is.

Advertisement