Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - 1440p

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£158.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£146.62 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£149.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Palit - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Dual Video Card (£409.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Silverstone - Redline RL06WS-PRO ATX Mid Tower Case (£72.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1167.50
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-28 11:27 GMT+0000

Cheapest 1070 Ti found on OCUK.

Drop the motherboard down to ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 or AB350 Pro4 if you won't be doing big overclocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Thanks for that. I had a similar build at the start, but ended up with an 8700k and a 1080ti at the end. I knew I needed to reel that spending in :)

Budget is €1400-1450, so that build is spot on price wise.

I've swapped around a couple of parts (found the MB cheaper on Amazon) and I might be able to squeeze a 1080 in.

Updated list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£158.78 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£146.34 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£149.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£144.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (£509.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£61.41 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1250.27
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-28 21:58 GMT+0000

I can't seem to find that 1080, but I might change to the Zotac 1070ti Amp Extreme.
    Otherwise, I think this build is finished. Just need to order now before RAM prices go up again.

I'd avoid Zotac after reading reviews; their PCBs & coolers aren't great.

Stick to Palit/MSI/EVGA/Gigabyte/Asus.

You can use Skinflint to check for current prices:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&xf=9810_7+7816+-+GTX+1070+Ti%7E9810_7+8228+-+GTX+1080%7E9810_7+8228+-+GTX+1080+11Gbps

Thanks. Updated to https://skinflint.co.uk/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-ftw2-gaming-08g-p4-6775-kr-a1717574.html?hloc=uk&v=e

Processor shipped from OC this morning, amazon will ship most of the rest sometime in the next year, hopefully.

• Advertisement

Quick update. Glacial order preparation is meaning there are long delays shipping the various components. Then the 1070ti order gets cancelled because Mastercard's computers said no.

So I went to order again and saw the Evga 1080 SC at a €30 premium. Is it worth it for GDDR5X and lower power draw or should I stick with the 1070ti FTW and possible better overclocking ability down the line?

I now see a 1080 FTW for an extra €25 over the SC. I really had to back down the rabbit hole again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If it was me I would go for the 1080 over a 1070Ti well not really me as I would never buy a Nvidia card in the first place.,

scanlant wrote: »
    Quick update. Glacial order preparation is meaning there are long delays shipping the various components. Then the 1070ti order gets cancelled because Mastercard's computers said no.

So I went to order again and saw the Evga 1080 SC at a €30 premium. Is it worth it for GDDR5X and lower power draw or should I stick with the 1070ti FTW and possible better overclocking ability down the line?

I now see a 1080 FTW for an extra €25 over the SC. I really had to back down the rabbit hole again.

Get the 1080 over the 1070 Ti if it's a small premium.

I wouldn't get a FTW over an SC; the FTW has an extra PCI-e power connector but doesn't seem to get better overclocking results.
    From what I read the FTW does have a custom PCB though (more power-phases vs the SC's stock board).

Grand. 1080 SC ordered. Thanks.
    Amazon's dispatch times have really gone downhill since I last ordered from them.
    Hopefully it's the last change or problem and the next thing is assembly, which I'm really not looking forward to as a first time builder.

So, I finally got the parts and the time to build this, looked at as many build guides as possible, started then discovered I didn't read up enough on the motherboard setup and I had to remove the cooler after the initial installation. I have no extra thermal paste. Bugger.

Is there anyone around Wicklow that can help me out? Or even help me out with build so I don't brick the system before the first post.

• Advertisement

scanlant wrote: »
    So, I finally got the parts and the time to build this, looked at as many build guides as possible, started then discovered I didn't read up enough on the motherboard setup and I had to remove the cooler after the initial installation. I have no extra thermal paste. Bugger.

Is there anyone around Wicklow that can help me out? Or even help me out with build so I don't brick the system before the first post.

How do you mean you have no extra? Or do you mean you have none at all. If you have some you only need to use a small bit.

It's preapplied to the cooler, never thought I'd need a spare tube.

I cannot tell you if it is ok as I did not see the cooler or how much was on there. Also what cooler is it? Is it the stock cooler?

It's the stock cooler.

I had cleaned off the paste and went looking for a tube of paste in the CPU box and discovered there was none.

Oh right. You will have to get some so. I see you are in Wicklow. I'm sure a computer shop in Dublin will have some if you didn't want to wait for delivery.

Yeah, that's the plan.

I know I'll get the rest of it done, but I've killed my confidence with the start I had. Noob mistake :)
    Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can actualy use a little spot of toothpaste in a fix, it'll last a few weeks I think until you've a chance to get proper stuff.

Went up to Carrickmines and picked up a tube of thermal paste in the end.
    I realised where I went wrong initially (the backplate was not attached to the back of the motherboard and was being pushed away every time I went to screw it in). All other components were easy to install.

Computer posted and it's now in the case, I also installed a couple of Noctua 140mm fans for extra cooling. I'll probably install Windows 10 later tonight.

Pics will follow soon.

Advertisement