Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Butchers - Dublin

Options
  • 28-11-2017 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to start ordering my meat online. I'm going through illness and don't have the energy for lugging heavy bags on the bus and home.

There's a number of companies in Dublin doing this. I'm just wondering does anyone here of any experience of any of them that they can recommend in terms of quality meat and decent value?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Maybe not what you want but you probably need all your groceries. I use Tesco a lot...generally the range is better online as the warehouse has more stock. Plus you can get delivery for as little as a euro but rarely more than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dublin Meat Company are meant to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

amtc wrote: »
    Maybe not what you want but you probably need all your groceries. I use Tesco a lot...generally the range is better online as the warehouse has more stock. Plus you can get delivery for as little as a euro but rarely more than 3.

Tesco don't deliver from their warehouse to homes they pick the shopping from your most local bigger store (so for instance Clearwater for Finglas, Roselawn for Blanchardstown etc) You see the guys going around picking the orders while doing your shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dublin Meat Company is crap.

James Whelan if you want decent meat and proper cuts for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

whelan be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I live in Blanchardstown and it comes from Clearwater. Because i can order clothes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

amtc wrote: »
    I live in Blanchardstown and it comes from Clearwater. Because i can order clothes etc.

Mine comes from Roselawn then, no clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

whelan be expensive.

Is expensive

(And owned by Dunnes Stores)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is expensive

(And owned by Dunnes Stores)

It looks to me like they have an agreement with dunnes as a supplier, but are not owned by them. Ive had meat from whelans at christmas years ago as it happens as my grandfolks are from Tipp. It is good. It is expensive as any quick perusal of the website would confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dunnes are the owners of "James Whelan Butchers", but Pat Whelan "retained the family farm and slaughterhouse under the deal."
    http://www.thejournal.ie/james-whelan-butchers-dunnes-stores-2-3713094-Nov2017/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It looks to me like they have an agreement with dunnes as a supplier, but are not owned by them. Ive had meat from whelans at christmas years ago as it happens as my grandfolks are from Tipp. It is good. It is expensive as any quick perusal of the website would confirm

Dunnes own them alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I'd rather brady's or FXB but they don't sell online.

Big fan of a 60 day dry aged steak from Higgins out in Sutton but that's a bi-yearly treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

RasTa wrote: »
    Dublin Meat Company is crap.

I went for them.

Got the delivery today, they were very swift. Threw in a complimentary extra because my order was large.

The meat looks good! I suppose the proof will be in the eating but first impressions are that the meat looks good quality.

I did have a gander at the James Whelan website and it looks good too though I think my issue was some of my usual butcher buys weren't there.

I'll be ordering meat online a lot so I'll probably try a few different places.

I'll report back here on my experiences just in case anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Havent used their online delivery option but the Village Butcher in Ranelagh is very good for quality, prices are not too bad either.

Have tried the Dublin Meat Company a couple of times and havent been overly impressed with the quality of meat. It is passable but nothing special imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement