Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly savings from Boi account to Credit union direct debit

• 28-11-2017 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

I recently set up a direct debit from my Boi account to my credit union account for an amount every wk . My question is can I regulate this amount from my Boi app ? I set the direct debit up in the credit union and the first loedgment is due to be paid across on Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If it's actually a direct debit (as opposed to a standing order), no, you can not change the amount from the BOI side. The CU create a request for a specific amount and send it to BOI.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Colash wrote: »
    I recently set up a direct debit from my Boi account to my credit union account for an amount every wk.

If it's for a fixed amount each month then the way to do it is via standing order. If it's a variable amount then the CU will ask you to sign a DD mandate which allows them to request different amounts from your bank, same as with utility bills.
    My question is can I regulate this amount from my Boi app ?

No, you cannot sign a DD mandate and then 'regulate' it from your side. All you can do is cancel it, they don't allow you to tweak it. You may be allowed to place a cap on the amount but I don't remember ever seeing this on the DD mandate form that you sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

It was a dd form.i signed in credit unit for an amount every Friday ..
    Only reason I wanted to regulate it was to maybe increase the amount if possible when extra cash was floating around .
    Thanks all for help

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

It was a dd form.i signed in credit unit for an amount every Friday ..
    Only reason I wanted to regulate it was to maybe increase the amount if possible when extra cash was floating around .
    Thanks all for help

If you want to transfer variable amounts (over and above the Direct Debit), then set the Credit Union account up as a 'Payee" in your BOI, then you will be able to make extra transfers whenever you like

365Online->Manage Accounts->Manage Payees->SEPA Payees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

coylemj wrote: »
    If it's for a fixed amount each month then the way to do it is via standing order. If it's a variable amount then the CU will ask you to sign a DD mandate which allows them to request different amounts from your bank, same as with utility bills.

No, you cannot sign a DD mandate and then 'regulate' it from your side. All you can do is cancel it, they don't allow you to tweak it. You may be allowed to place a cap on the amount but I don't remember ever seeing this on the DD mandate form that you sign.

You can of course regulate it, it's one of your rights under SEPA. You can temporarily block it or put a maximum amount on the direct debit.

It's not easily done though, in Boi you need to login to b365 on pc and fill out online form. Option for doing this is not on the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coylemj wrote: »
    No, you cannot sign a DD mandate and then 'regulate' it from your side.
    368100 wrote: »
    You can of course regulate it, it's one of your rights under SEPA. You can temporarily block it or put a maximum amount on the direct debit.

I put quotes around the word 'regulate' to indicate that I was using it in the narrow context described by the OP..... 'can I regulate this amount?' and the answer is the same, he can not adjust/regulate/vary the amount because it's set by the payee (not the payer) each time.

Per Spocker's post (#6), the OP can transfer one-off amounts to the account when he has spare cash he wants to apply to the outstanding balance.

Advertisement