Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once great brands ...... now junk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Has sky televison been mentioned? It was once the thing to have, especially when sky digital came out but nowadays it seems to be repeat after repeat and over dramatised staged Americanized documentaries and programmes which discovery is especially guilty of.

channels have also been removed too such as music choice and the magazine that used to be posted out once a month is no longer yet the price of the subscription continues to rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Has sky televison been mentioned? I

Now that you mention it...the History Channel which seems to have developed a bit of an aversion to...er...history. A bit like MTV, which last time I saw it some years ago seemed to want nothing to do with music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Venom wrote: »
    Was talking about this very subject with a mate of mine who works in marketing and she reckons the profits on Cadburys stuff nowadays is much higher now due to vastly lower costs of ingredients and more than makes up for for much lower sales of the product :(

If we'd all stop buying it, they might have to so something about the quality! We never buy it now, we just get stuff in Lidl— or, my personal favourite, Malteasers (the chocolate isn't much better, but the overall package is still tasty).

Got given a box of Heroes by someone the other day, and I haven't even opened it yet. Ten years ago, I'd have ripped the hand off them to get in there, but now I can't even be arsed to open it until some night I'm desperate. Sad state of affairs!

By contrast, I also got given a box of those Lindt balls the same day.

They were gone in two days. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The History Channel hasn't shown anything Historical in around 10 years. National Geographic also gone to total ****e both are just pathetic reality TV mind-numbing junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We had Sky for 4 or 5 years until the mid-00s and even in the time we had it, it had gone to shit. After 18 months or so you realise Discovery and HitlerHistory channels just show the same stuff over and over. An hour slot for a 'documentary' that would barely have enough material to fit into a half hour slot. Constant ads - must have been about 15 mins per hour.

Channels like Bravo and Men and Motors were good at first, then went to crap, then disappeared.

Even 'Booze Britain' got a bit repetitive after about the 30th time you've seen some bunch of tossers get paid to puke into the gutter :pac:

Chucked it and got Freesat and haven't looked back, the one channel I'd really miss if I had to give up TV is BBC Four - but even that isn't as good as it was a few years ago, lots more repeats now due to budget cuts. Still though there's more decent free TV available than I have time to watch.

Channel 4 - now there's a brand which has really gone downhill and been dumbed down beyond all recognition.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

We had Sky for 4 or 5 years until the mid-00s and even in the time we had it, it had gone to shit. After 18 months or so you realise Discovery and HitlerHistory channels just show the same stuff over and over. An hour slot for a 'documentary' that would barely have enough material to fit into a half hour slot. Constant ads - must have been about 15 mins per hour.

It's the repeated facts five minutes after first mentioning for, presumably, human goldfish that does my head in.

Very American TV that. I think it's so the channel flippers who chance upon a programme halfway through don't miss out :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Most people I know who have Sky only have it for the sports particularly the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Most people I know who have Sky only have it for the sports particularly the football.

Which...

Actually, I've said too much :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Super Channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

DivingDuck wrote: »

By contrast, I also got given a box of those Lindt balls the same day.

They were gone in two days. :pac:

mmm, nom nom

Kuva wrote: »
    mmm, nom nom

I was almost afraid to click that link.

Really should have said "spheres"... ;)

Stephen15 wrote: »

There's an amazing number of people paying for Sky to watch TV they can see for free.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Series 5 of The A-Team, what in the absolute fooking jaysus what were they thinking, absolute pure thrash from start to finish thrash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

There's an amazing number of people paying for Sky to watch TV they can see for free.

I genuinely believe there should be a public service announcement campaign to raise awareness of this fact. Think the majority of people don't actually realise that the channels they mainly watch are literally free to air channels and having a once off dish installation could eliminate their tv subscription bills for the rest of their lives.

Unless you are into sport, it is literally like burning hundreds of euro every single year for nothing other than ignorance of the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

ahh god don't get me started on nat geo or the history channel

those reality programmes where they have an ad break then when it comes back we have to face a ten min recap of hashed rediting that's portrayed as a catch up

ffs its been 3 mins since you told us the plane ran out of fuel or was on fire and was about to crash we don't need to go back to the boarding gate to see who got the fcuk on the plane again!!
    same with that pawn stars I want to go to la to burn there shop down so we don't have to put up with there rip off antics or re caps
    I fcuking hate recaps I have a memory it was only a few moments ago you told me the story stop trying to drag a 10 min story out to an hour

jesus grrrrrr I'm an angry man now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

oh oh oh
    telecom eireann
    there was a brand that was good in 1982
    now its useless

not just useless but utterly weve taken our company thrown it in the skip set the skip on fire and the left over twisted metal
    we have taken to Hammond lane to be reprocessed into eir.

whats that sir you want 2017 broadband on 1970 technology
    no problem let me take your bank details and we will get back yu in 17 weeks with your ultra fast 2mb next gen broadband.

whats that you say this isn't next gen sure this is 1972 on the calender in my office and screw anyone who thinks other wise
    for that the fibre line will skip your house and go to the man 8 doors down from you.

it would be funny if that wasn't so true.

Series 5 of The A-Team, what in the absolute fooking jaysus what were they thinking, absolute pure thrash from start to finish thrash.

That's just jibba jabba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

ESB is another one. I'm entirely happy to have just the one electricity provider, choice when it come to public utilities is complete fiction, the choice is only which middle man takes a cut.

Or maybe I'm just getting old, like the older generations who still refer to eircom as T.E. or the P&T even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

CNN

They've made absolute tits of themselves in the past year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Neighsayer

I genuinely believe there should be a public service announcement campaign to raise awareness of this fact. Think the majority of people don't actually realise that the channels they mainly watch are literally free to air channels and having a once off dish installation could eliminate their tv subscription bills for the rest of their lives.

Unless you are into sport, it is literally like burning hundreds of euro every single year for nothing other than ignorance of the facts.
    This is absolutely true.  Even those of us stupid enough to pay Sky crazy money to watch sports are reaching our breaking point.  It's no longer enough to have Sky Sports.  You now need BT Sport as well to watch Premier League, Champions league Football and Champions Cup Rugby.  Soon you'll need Netflix and Amazon as well.  It's cheaper to go to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    And then they expect you to pay on top again for Sky Box Office etc. Yet people do so the charges keep escalating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

TV they can see for free.

It just rolls of the tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Could anyone put up the ingredients of Cadbury Dairy Milk just as a comparison to Lidl version.
    Fin Carre 100g bar 0.69c. I'm stone mad for this. Haven't eaten Cadburys in yonks.

As a friend of mine once said..

"That's great, keep a German in a job!" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Can people not find something worth watching among this lot? Of course most of it is repeats. It would be weird if every TV programme or film was only ever shown once.

http://www.flysat.com/skyuk.php

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide

Unless someone can watch thousands of hours of TV every day, it is wrong to say that Sky is not as good as it was 5 or 10 years ago.

It is certainly not as good from a value point of view.  10 years ago SKY had almost every televised sporting event not on FTA channels all in one fairly reasonably priced package.  Now you need multiple subs.

It is certainly not as good from a value point of view.  10 years ago SKY had almost every televised sporting event not on FTA channels all in one fairly reasonably priced package.  Now you need multiple subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I will say Apple as well. I heard from the BBC that Apple are making another purchase relating to Music which relates to Shazam. It is an online music recognition service from the UK. I don't actually understand the full reason why they are buying it because it could be sought by them to improve their music offerings for customers on either on Apple Music or iTunes or something. They also gone into making Reality TV show crap for Apple TV that is meant to compete with Netflix & Amazon. It boggles our minds what they can do with themselves tbh. Apple do have a lot of money at their disposal which is starting to become unnerving for their fanbase & for the rest of us. We're probably talking about hundreds of billions of dollars in cash & reserves right now. And tbh; I don't know how they can say they will make even more money until it makes them more dangerous with their money & then ultimately burnt out as a brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

Volkswagen. My oul lad swears by them but had nothing but trouble with my Golf-EGR valve, flywheel, half expecting the flux capacitor to go next.

Then all the sh*te about the emissions came out. Apparently Americans are getting compensated while Europeans get a piece of rubber tubing and a letter of apology.

Complete and utter b*stards.

Will never buy another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I will say Apple as well. I heard from the BBC that Apple are making another purchase relating to Music which relates to Shazam. It is an online music recognition service from the UK. I don't actually understand the full reason why they are buying it because it could be sought by them to improve their music offerings for customers on either on Apple Music or iTunes or something. They also gone into making Reality TV show crap for Apple TV that is meant to compete with Netflix & Amazon. It boggles our minds what they can do with themselves tbh. Apple do have a lot of money at their disposal which is starting to become unnerving for their fanbase & for the rest of us. We're probably talking about hundreds of billions of dollars in cash & reserves right now. And tbh; I don't know how they can say they will make even more money until it makes them more dangerous with their money & then ultimately burnt out as a brand.

Unlike a bar of chocolate or a pair of jeans which were once great but are now junk, there is a solution for this one. Just enjoy the content from when it was good, and leave the new rubbish stuff to the young people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Formula 1. Not necessarily "junk", but becoming less and less visible as they hide it behind a paywall, thus making it much harder for potential new fans to casually stumble across it. Also, I love how it has so many high-end sponsors like Rolex, when its dwindling fanbase seems to consist mostly of lads who've worn the same unwashed anorak since 1996 and enjoy counting things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

CNN

They've made absolute tits of themselves in the past year

Their adverts are embarrassing. Together with sticking broadcasters in the middle of storms. They are basically emulating Fox from the Obama years.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Argos

Used to be a big thing to get the latest catalogue.

Argos

In fairness their website is probably the reason for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ESB is another one. I'm entirely happy to have just the one electricity provider, choice when it come to public utilities is complete fiction, the choice is only which middle man takes a cut.
    ain't that the truth

Look at how much profit the water companies in the UK make.
    At the same time, the companies have built up a growing pile of debt to finance investments over the 28 years since the industry was privatised.

Investors paid £7.6bn for the water and sewerage companies in 1989 but the UK government took on the sector’s entire £4.9bn in debts and gave the new private corporations £1.5bn of public funds.
    So they paid 7.6Bn to the guberment, who then spent 6.5Bn back on them - high finance is not my strong point but jaysus

Or maybe I'm just getting old, like the older generations who still refer to eircom as T.E. or the P&T even.
    So the €16m they spent on this was well spent ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/eircom-becomes-eir-in-16m-rebranding-exercise-1.2354234

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Argos

Until the most recent take over they were brilliant at the not quibbling on reservations made at an earlier price. Yes the ring and reserve was great, but everyone does that now so it doesn't stand out as much.

https://pricescanner.ie/ and checkargos.com are dead brill if their vouchers are burning a hole in your pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Triple A Golden Maverick

Can people not find something worth watching among this lot? Of course most of it is repeats. It would be weird if every TV programme or film was only ever shown once.

http://www.flysat.com/skyuk.php

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide

Unless someone can watch thousands of hours of TV every day, it is wrong to say that Sky is not as good as it was 5 or 10 years ago.

It's not though. Of course nothing is going to be shown once and id expect the odd repeat now and again but it's gone to the extreme these days, especially on discovery. For example I seen an old episode of wheeler dealers on one morning at 5am. It was repeated again at 11 am the same morning. This was not a new episode this was one from years back. I see the same happening all the time on it.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Has sky televison been mentioned? It was once the thing to have, especially when sky digital came out but nowadays it seems to be repeat after repeat and over dramatised staged Americanized documentaries and programmes which discovery is especially guilty of.

channels have also been removed too such as music choice and the magazine that used to be posted out once a month is no longer yet the price of the subscription continues to rise.
    I actually believe that Sky Digital was the start of the decline. Too many channels resulting in a dilution of the audience, to the point that nobody can spend money on good programming anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

RayM wrote: »
    Formula 1. Not necessarily "junk", but becoming less and less visible as they hide it behind a paywall, thus making it much harder for potential new fans to casually stumble across it. Also, I love how it has so many high-end sponsors like Rolex, when its dwindling fanbase seems to consist mostly of lads who've worn the same unwashed anorak since 1996 and enjoy counting things.

As soon as Jordan F1 stopped racing back in 2005, F1 was pretty much "junk" in my mind. I couldn't give a flying fig-leaf about how Ferrari, or McClaren were doing, for me it was all about hoping for a win for Eddie Jordan's team, which were as close to a "Team Ireland" we had in the sport.

When they were gone, so was I. What's that? Lexis Hamilton is going for another race record? Well...behold the amount damns I have for that...for there are none!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Cadburys is pretty rubbish nowadays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yeah. Motorola mobility was also briefly owned by Google for intellectual property stripping mostly, then sold on and bought by Lenovo.

Motorola invented the very first mobile phone back in 1973. It must have seemed amazing at the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Cadburys is pretty rubbish nowadays.

Yep, the bars have become much smaller, and the formula has changed so the taste isn’t as good. But most chocolate has gotten smaller (look at how mean Toblerone has got with the widely spaced out triangles) - I wonder if it’s to to with the global price of cocoa?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yep, the bars have become much smaller, and the formula has changed so the taste isn’t as good. But most chocolate has gotten smaller (look at how mean Toblerone has got with the widely spaced out triangles) - I wonder if it’s to to with the global price of cocoa?

Brexit, apparently— google "Brexit Toblerone" for a laugh, if you want. The new Toblerone looks hilarious, and I am irritated by the reduction, but to be fair it actually is a lot easier to separate the chunks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Piat D'OR and Ernest Julio Gallo. Very popular wine in the 80's and 90's now regarded as swill.

(Think they named E&J to Gallo Family)

• Advertisement

Piat D'OR and Ernest Julio Gallo. Very popular wine in the 80's and 90's now regarded as swill.

Did it actually change?

Or just attitude to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Kuva wrote: »
    Did it actually change?

Or just attitude to it?

I think as people began tasting different wines from all over the world they realised how poor it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Haven't had the Piat D'OR, but definitely wouldn't say that Gallo is regarded as swill... it's nothing special, nobody is going to rave about how amazing it is, it's a mass produced wine, not bad.
    I'd be disappointed if I got it as a present, but I wouldn't be pouring it down the drain!
    And was it ever really considered 'great'?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Haven't had the Piat D'OR, but definitely wouldn't say that Gallo is regarded as swill... it's nothing special, nobody is going to rave about how amazing it is, it's a mass produced wine, not bad.
    I'd be disappointed if I got it as a present, but I wouldn't be pouring it down the drain!
    And was it ever really considered 'great'?

Wines are funny, my ould fella likes a Blue Nun sometimes with sunday dinner, could give him some wines 5 times the price and they'd be left there for ages.

Expert wine tasters on tv have shown how much of a joke it all is.

It's what you like, notes of this and scents of that, well, thats just rubbish talk....to try and justify the extra money it costs.

"I can actually taste the €100 this cost over that blue nun swill".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Remember Black Tower? It was either that or Blue Nun back in the 90's!

Blossom Hill appears to be going down the same route in people's minds now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement