Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch RF Jam

Options
  • 28-11-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I have phonewatch system for years so think it's the Simon xt one.
    Anyway just bought some smart wireless radiator thermostats from tado.

I'm getting RF Jam intermittently on the phonewatch now so assuming there is interference.
    The spec on the thermostats is..

Radio communication (between devices):
    868 MHz, Mesh (6LoWPAN)

So is the RF Jam refer to comms between panel and the wireless detectors and is there anything I can do here to resolve apart from getting rid of the thermostats?

The thermostats work by connecting to gateway device and turned that off and thought was ok then. But in the middle of the night panel started beeping again with the error so thermostat must try send data occasionally causing interference even without bridge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Nothing you can do unfortunately except change the thermostat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nothing you can do unfortunately except change the thermostat.

Or change to a wired alarm system.

Interesting issue, I suspect we will see a lot more of these sort of issues with the increase in smart home devices. Systems will need to learn to play nice with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

bk wrote: »
    Or change to a wired alarm system.

Interesting issue, I suspect we will see a lot more of these sort of issues with the increase in smart home devices. Systems will need to learn to play nice with one another.

I've been thinking about changing alarms for while now. Monthly payments to phonewatch isn't cheap and wouldnt be much different to system that just called direct to phones!

Wired not really an option right now but wonder would newer systems use better RF tech/protocols to better handle interference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm no expert on security systems, but I suspect that most wireless systems use the same 868Mhz frequency or maybe 433Mhz.

It is an unlicensed frequency, similar to wifi, but designed for lower power devices. Lots of different devices can operate on it and might cause interference.

Newer wireless systems might use Zigbee on the 2.4GHz frequency in a mesh network, which might help. But I'm not sure which, if any in Ireland are using this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I've been thinking about changing alarms for while now. Monthly payments to phonewatch isn't cheap and wouldnt be much different to system that just called direct to phones!

Wired not really an option right now but wonder would newer systems use better RF tech/protocols to better handle interference.

The HCK hybrid systems are very popular, they can accept a combination of wired and wireless devices. A quick call to HKC and they would be able to confirm whether your stats will cause an issue or not.

There are other systems out there that will meet your needs too, I just like the HKC.
    By the way I am not commercially aligned with any manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Speaking as someone who is not ' aligned to any manufacturer', who just uses the stuff i know that works and saves me call backs, I have come across this with a very early released 10/70 panel.
    If memory serves me correctly a software upgrade solved it.

With regard to frequencies, as per EN50131, then it has to be 868.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. Did this ever get resolved? I’m having the exact same issue now :/

Advertisement