Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Tyrellstown

Options
  • 28-11-2017 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys,
    We've been looking for a house recently that meets our needs and is in our price range. We found one recently in Tyrellstown however we don't really know much about the area. When researching this ourselves we found a wide range of comments ranging from completely terrible/unsafe to it's absolutely fine. Does anybody live in this area or know anything about it?

We asked on reddit Ireland yesterday but all the comments we received were quite negative, kinda got the feeling they weren't taking the questions seriously, not too sure I trust them.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I wouldn't. I work with a girl who regrets it every day. When I bought ....elsewhere....it was cheap but plagued with empty shops and premises and closed down places.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Geck

amtc wrote: »
    I wouldn't. I work with a girl who regrets it every day. When I bought ....elsewhere....it was cheap but plagued with empty shops and premises and closed down places.

Hi, thanks for your reply. If you're referring to Tyrellstown as being the place with no shops etc. I've heard this as well however I believe it could be something said in the past for the place as when we drove around their was a fair few shops such as lidl, supervalue and takeaways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

I live there and have done since 2003.

Tyrrelstown has suffered on social media from a significant amount of negative commentary from those opposed to immigration.

From my point of view - its lively (four primary schools; one secondary school; community centre; GAA and cricket teams); decent (good not great) retail - Lidl, SuperValu plus four takeaways/restaurants; nice hotel with a bar and restaurant; the pub has opened-and closed - on a number of occasions. Its currently closed. Four petrol stations within easy reach.

Public transport is ok - 40d every 15 mins in rush hour into O'Connell St via Finglas; hourly bus to the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

Its on the n2-n3 link road so strongly connected to the road infrastructure.

In terms of security - there's been some issues around anti-social behaviour, but nothing you wouldn't see in any community of 2,000 houses/apartments.

We've a young family and find it a pleasant place to live.

richardjjd wrote: »

In terms of security - there's been some issues around anti-social behaviour, but nothing you wouldn't see in any community of 2,000 houses/apartments.

We've a young family and find it a pleasant place to live.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply! :) I understand what you mean about the negative comments, I've seen them in allot of places which is what prompted me to make this thread. I'm mainly worried about this anti social behaviour you've mentioned, more specifically these roaming gangs that I've heard about. Have you even seen anything like this yourself or experienced this first hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A friend of mine bought in the first phase of development there in 2006. I'll tell you now what I told him then, and what has been borne out by his experience. And he's a Garda. The fundamental design is appallingly bad. A rabbit warren of back lanes, dark corners, parking with no visibility from the home and blind bends are ripe for anti-social behaviour and road safety danger.

It was a model lifted from UK examples, and it was a badly done version and the planners that approved it should be struck off. I say that as one myself.

On top of that, and what my friend hadnt envisaged, was that a lot of the early stage buyers turned over their homes for a profit very quickly and they ended up with the Council and the HSE, resulting in a bad social mix, no positive integration and a lot of heads in the sand.

I have every respect for the people that live in Tyrrellstown who have worked tirelessly to build a community there, but I would commute 4 hours a day rather than live there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've found that the vast majority of comments about the area are by people who never lived there, don't know the area very well, of have been told by someone who was told by someone and so on.

All you have to do is read the second post in this thread to see that type of nonsense. A plague?

There's no point in denying there was a small group of teens causing an inordinate amount trouble given the relative size of the group but I believe they've been evicted.

I can't remember that map it is, either the AIRO or CSO one, that breaks down the county by socio economic class and the results will surprise a lot of people.

There is a bit of a difference between the 2 phases, first would not be as well thought out or maintained as the rest.

I would take issue with the comment about a warren of back lanes. There's very few back lanes at all. You may be grouping the roads behind the houses with the parking as lanes, or the roadway under the one bedroom type of houses as lanes, but there's few laneways in the traditional sense.

ThisRegard wrote: »

I can't remember that map it is, either the AIRO or CSO one, that breaks down the county by socio economic class and the results will surprise a lot of people.

I believes it's this link:
    http://airomaps.nuim.ie/id/AI_Atlas/?mobileBreakPoint=400/
    But I'm not too sure what I should be looking for? If you can offer any good pointers on what to look for? It say's the area is 'Affluent' at least which I think is good.

That's the one I was thinking of, you can check employment levels and employment type etc.

Some roads are better than others in the area, like everywhere I supposed, but good research before hand to see if you can get a gauge on the type of household, i.e. young families, shared housing, etc that live there will give you an idea over several visits.

Geck wrote: »
    I'm mainly worried about this anti social behaviour you've mentioned, more specifically these roaming gangs that I've heard about. Have you even seen anything like this yourself or experienced this first hand?

In 15 years living there, I've never seen or experienced this. I'm aware of the image which appeared on Twitter but have, thankfully, never seen it myself. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I don't think its as prevalent as those who don't live there make it out to be.

There's no point denying that there hasn't been problems. But the coverage has been completely disproportionate to the issues (and appears to be mainly promoted by those who know someone who once bought etc rather than by residents).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought in the first phase of development there in 2006. I'll tell you now what I told him then, and what has been borne out by his experience. And he's a Garda. The fundamental design is appallingly bad. A rabbit warren of back lanes, dark corners, parking with no visibility from the home and blind bends are ripe for anti-social behaviour and road safety danger.

It was a model lifted from UK examples, and it was a badly done version and the planners that approved it should be struck off. I say that as one myself.

On top of that, and what my friend hadnt envisaged, was that a lot of the early stage buyers turned over their homes for a profit very quickly and they ended up with the Council and the HSE, resulting in a bad social mix, no positive integration and a lot of heads in the sand.

I have every respect for the people that live in Tyrrellstown who have worked tirelessly to build a community there, but I would commute 4 hours a day rather than live there.

Refreshingly honest, OP Please heed this warning..

• Advertisement

not yet wrote: »
    Refreshingly honest, OP Please head this warning..

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm grateful for his reply but for example some people in the thread do not agree with his statements on the roads and everyhting. And from reviewing that airomaps.nuim.ie site, I do not believe many of the houses are council houses etc.

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm grateful for his reply but for example some people in the thread do not agree with his statements on the roads and everyhting. And from reviewing that airomaps.nuim.ie site, I do not believe many of the houses are council houses etc.

The mix of council bought houses, Buy to let, and people who have moved out and rented is about 50%.

The mix of council bought houses, Buy to let, and people who have moved out and rented is about 50%.

Is there a source for that?

When I check how many social rented properties are within the area it comes up with < 6%

http://airomaps.nuim.ie/id/AI_Atlas/?mobileBreakPoint=400/

This isn't really adding to my query however. I'm more curious from peoples opinion on how safe the area is. If I move their will my property be robbed etc, how safe is it for me to go on walks around the area etc.

Is there a source for that?

I'm sure there is somewhere, I'm going by the half dozen people I know who live there or have lived there.

Vulture fund Twinlite tried recently to sell off 200 homes, and that's only one fund. I'm guessing if vulture funds can move in and sell try sell 200 properties these properties are rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

I have lived in Tyrrelstown in the past. It is IMO by far the best value place to live in Dublin. It has lots of schools, shops and facilities. You will not get anything like the value for money anywhere else.
    I experienced very little anti social behavior and I certainly think it is no different to anywhere with a similar age profile. There is quite high employment in the area and lots of work around. The sports clubs are good and there is a real sense of community.
    My main issue was how long it takes to get to town on bus but that may have improved in recent years. As both my wife and I worked near Stephens Green this was the reason we moved out.
    The area gets some negative press on social media mostly based on the mix of nationalities in the area.

Look at the rent to sale price ratio in Tyrrelstown. Four bed houses renting for 2000 per month are normal enough in Tyrrelstonw - under standard ratios these should sell for around 380000 but you can pick one up in Tyrrelstown for about 240000. Worst come to worst you can rent out the house as there is loads of demand from people working in the technology and pharma companies around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Geck wrote:

I am out that way every few weeks on service calls. I never noticed a higher non ownership there. Private homes pay me directly and rented it usually deal with landlords. None of the residents have struck me as scumbags etc.

It's never come across as a bad area to me. Badly laid out with bad parking and buses running very close to some front doors. Anything bad I've ever read about the area is about the design and not the tone of the area.

As pointed out already its very close to main roads. If you are close to the m50 then you are minutes away from anywhere in Dublin. Not rush hour obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Geck wrote:
    This isn't really adding to my query however. I'm more curious from peoples opinion on how safe the area is. If I move their will my property be robbed etc, how safe is it for me to go on walks around the area etc.

I live in Raheny. A mature area. Most houses built in the 60s and a lot of the area would be considered middle class. We have break ins, car /van break ins and my 21 year old son got mugged at Howth Junction Dart Station.

You are going to get this in every area. Your question is, is it worse than other areas. I wonder would a local Garda be willing to give their judgement down the local station

There may be a few roads where this is the case but most of the roads and areas have a far higher level of owner occupier - as the official statistics show. Where I lived was about 50-50 as the houses were designed for renting but where my friends live in Tyrrelstown is a road of 16 houses and all but one are owner occupied. The overall area is a good mix.
    There are only 2 houses to rent in the area on daft at the moment so someone must like living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

AlanG wrote: »
    Look at the rent to sale price ratio in Tyrrelstown. Four bed houses renting for 2000 per month are normal enough in Tyrrelstonw - under standard ratios these should sell for around 380000 but you can pick one up in Tyrrelstown for about 240000.

There's a reason for that surely ?

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    There's a reason for that surely ?

Care to explain?

Vulture fund Twinlite tried recently to sell off 200 homes, and that's only one fund. I'm guessing if vulture funds can move in and sell try sell 200 properties these properties are rented.

You don't actually know who Twinlite are, they're not a fund, vulture or otherwise.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You don't actually know who Twinlite are, they're not a fund, vulture or otherwise.

Oh right so..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Care to explain?

If rental and property prices are generally lower then surrounding areas, there's a reason for that.

It may not be an issue but i'd want to know why before buying..

OSI wrote: »
    We lived in Tyrrelstown for 4 years.

We spent 1 year down the Bealing Village end, which we eventually moved out of because of persistent drug dealing in the wooded area in the the estate, and an infestation of bugs and vermin that hit a number of houses and apartments in the area due to the incredibly poor hygiene of a number of residents.
    We spent 3 years living in the Cruise Park area, where in those 3 years 3 separate houses were broken into and a car burnt out and because a large portion of the houses were rented the area was often in disrepair or had old furniture abandoned about the place.

Oh, and the Pharmacy has been held up more times by addicts than I could count.

But, But that narrative doesn't fit in with the mainstream media's version or people who need to believe it's a smashing place to live.

I have several factual stories that are not pleasant and a dozen more that I believe to be true but cannot validate that would make your hair stand on end..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

OP; the only thing to do is to go out there yourself. Go up on a Friday evening and take a walk around or just sit in your car and see what sort of a feeling you get for the place. You'll know pretty quickly if it's for you or not.

I'm sure there is somewhere, I'm going by the half dozen people I know who live there or have lived there.

For someone who never lived there you seem to have lots of "facts" but don't even know that twinlight are the builders who built most of the estate and village. The have been involved from the start and are not a Vulture fund.
    I have several problems with twinlight but like lots of people when the crash happened they had houses they could not sell off without going bankrupt as they would be materialising their losses. They rented the properties until they could get back to their core business of building and selling house. It was wrong the way they tired to sell them all together but if they were a vulture fund they would have been much smarter in their actions and not have ended up in the press.

It is an actual fact that they are not a Vulture fund, unlike the stories you
    seem keen to spread about a place you have never lived.

As has been said the OP should go to the area and spend some time there. If they can find a better area in Dublin for the price then I would be very surprised.

AlanG wrote: »
    For someone who never lived there you seem to have lots of "facts" but don't even know that twinlight are the builders who built most of the estate and village. The have been involved from the start and are not a Vulture fund.
    I have several problems with twinlight but like lots of people when the crash happened they had houses they could not sell off without going bankrupt as they would be materialising their losses. They rented the properties until they could get back to their core business of building and selling house. It was wrong the way they tired to sell them all together but if they were a vulture fund they would have been much smarter in their actions and not have ended up in the press.

It is an actual fact that they are not a Vulture fund, unlike the stories you
    seem keen to spread about a place you have never lived.

As has been said the OP should go to the area and spend some time there. If they can find a better area in Dublin for the price then I would be very surprised.

So you don't believe the area has a huge anti social problem that main stream media choose to ignore, some of the families involved have been moved to Clonee,but there are several wanna be gangsters waiting to take their place, FACT...

So you don't believe the area has a huge anti social problem that main stream media choose to ignore, some of the families involved have been moved to Clonee,but there are several wanna be gangsters waiting to take their place, FACT...
    As before, do you have a source for this?

• Advertisement

As before, do you have a source for this?

Are you honestly that blind that you don't know what going on...?

Type ant-social behaviour for the area you'll get all the sources you want.

Advertisement