Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec and source of cable for fibre broadband.

Options
  • 28-11-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Hope someone can give me a dig out.
    Need to source 30m of fibte cable which will be conforming to what Eir/KN would run from pole to rural dwelling, so they can connect.
    Spec and source would be great.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hi.
    Hope someone can give me a dig out.
    Need to source 30m of fibte cable which will be conforming to what Eir/KN would run from pole to rural dwelling, so they can connect.
    Spec and source would be great.
    Many thanks.

Why do you need to source the cable and not Eir/KN that you will presumably have a contract with for services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

They find the existing wavin route blocked and could not find the pole.
    Not much effort put in by guy and very defeatist.
    I have found and can get reasonable pull on existing.
    I would like to draw in the cable and allow them take from there.
    If this does not happen, I risk them losing the route under road and me left with costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Not sure what the spec is tbh
    I would stop a van and ask them for some
    Had a fibre installed by kn myself 2 weeks ago and opened up both ends of duct before he arrived. I installed new 2inch hydrodare from duct to pole and told them I would bury it later myself. Put frexible copex the other end across the path and chased/buried it.
    Kn installer was very helpful and accommodating even though the main box was 6 poles away

It has to be one piece from box to box and care has to be taken that it's not damaged or bent sharply

Thanks so much. Approx how thick was cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd be shocked if they would agree to splice into something you've supplied yourself, have you heard of this being done before? Who would own the cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Thanks so much. Approx how thick was cable?

Only a couple I'm mm. like the flat flex on a bedside table lamp. It's 2 core optical with a strengthening wire in centre . Perhaps if you are there during the installation you could assist him.(but don't get too close as I hate anyone overbearing myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if they would agree to splice into something you've supplied yourself, have you heard of this being done before? Who would own the cable?

I agree, can't see them doing that. The demarcation point for open-eir's FTTH network is the ODP which includes the single run of cable from the splice box.

2 core Drop-cable spec and datasheet here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105218323

n0DaNC5.jpg

Thanks to all for replies and info.
    Plan in place with KN. They are satisfied if I have a draw wire in, even though their rods can not be pushed thru.

Advertisement