Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook delivery time?

Options
  • 28-11-2017 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

ordered a Macbook Pro from the refurb store on Saturday, just wondering how long it might take to be delivered, from other people's experience? It dispatched yesterday, and has been sitting in Tamworth since then. The delivery is with UPS, and I'm in Dublin.

Any idea when I might see it? The email is quoting something mad like January 3rd as an outside delivery date. I could walk to Birmingham and back several times before then!

Last thing I ordered from Apple was my Watch a few weeks ago, though I ordered through the UK store with it, and had it delivered to Parcel Motel. It was with me less than twenty-four hours later. I'm guessing I shouldn't expect the same this time? Should have ordered via the UK store— it was cheaper, too, I was just concerned that it would cause issues for me if I had trouble with it in the long-term. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I would contact Apple. If the MacBook was in stock, there should be no delay. As an example, I ordered a refurb iPad at 12.45am on Wed night/Thurs morning and it was delivered Friday lunchtime from the UK, some 36 hours later. Unbelievably efficient.

Stock on refurb store is the exact same for UK and Ireland as it comes from the same warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Stock on refurb store is the exact same for UK and Ireland as it comes from the same warehouse.

I'm aware of that, which is why I'm annoyed with myself for not ordering from the UK site! Would have worked out a little cheaper and I think it would have been faster, I just didn't want to get tangled up with Parcel Motel on an expensive purchase at their busiest time of the year, plus warranty issues with Brexit, etc.

That said, I ended up calling UPS. They say it'll ship from England tonight and should be with me tomorrow. I'll update then, if only for people following along or searching for delivery times in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, which is why I'm annoyed with myself for not ordering from the UK site! Would have worked out a little cheaper and I think it would have been faster, I just didn't want to get tangled up with Parcel Motel on an expensive purchase at their busiest time of the year, plus warranty issues with Brexit, etc.

That said, I ended up calling UPS. They say it'll ship from England tonight and should be with me tomorrow. I'll update then, if only for people following along or searching for delivery times in the future.

Best of luck with the Macbook Pro DivingDuck. Just as a matter of interest and if you dont mind answering, did you opt for the Touch Bar version or the version withthe Standard Function Keys. Some debate as to whether the touch bar is worth the bother?

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the Macbook Pro DivingDuck. Just as a matter of interest and if you dont mind answering, did you opt for the Touch Bar version or the version withthe Standard Function Keys. Some debate as to whether the touch bar is worth the bother?

Thanks for the good wishes, apparently I'm going to need them— Just got off the phone with UPS and they've said the scheduled delivery date is today, but there have been no updates since it was scanned on Monday. So, it could be lost, or the tracking system might not be working, or it might just show up today! I have to wait to see if they deliver it by 7pm, and if not, I have to call Apple and tell them there's an issue. I'm rightly effed off about it: with such a high-ticket item, I really feel Apple should be using a more reliable courier service?

Anyway, regards my choice: I actually opted for one of the 2015 models, so the Touch Bar wasn't an option for me. My workflow involves a ton of peripherals (monitors, keyboards, projectors, external HDs, graphics tablets, SD cards, etc.), so the new version without the standard ports would have meant I would have had to drop a few hundred on adapters (which may or may not work as advertised), and then carry them around with me. That doesn't really suit me, so I've been waiting for ages for one of the older models to become available on the refurb store. As soon as I saw one, I hopped on it!

I actually would have loved the TB, because I've played with it a few times and it's neat for shortcuts, but what I actually needed was a machine that could connect to my current peripherals easily— maybe next time I'm in the market for a laptop it won't be so important, but at present I needed another few years of compatibility with my older stuff, so no TB for me. :(

I love Apple, I really do, but their relentless drive to move to the next generation's standard of equipment at the expense of backwards compatibility is exhausting sometimes.

Thanks for the good wishes, apparently I'm going to need them— Just got off the phone with UPS and they've said the scheduled delivery date is today, but there have been no updates since it was scanned on Monday. So, it could be lost, or the tracking system might not be working, or it might just show up today! I have to wait to see if they deliver it by 7pm, and if not, I have to call Apple and tell them there's an issue. I'm rightly effed off about it: with such a high-ticket item, I really feel Apple should be using a more reliable courier service?

Anyway, regards my choice: I actually opted for one of the 2015 models, so the Touch Bar wasn't an option for me. My workflow involves a ton of peripherals (monitors, keyboards, projectors, external HDs, graphics tablets, SD cards, etc.), so the new version without the standard ports would have meant I would have had to drop a few hundred on adapters (which may or may not work as advertised), and then carry them around with me. That doesn't really suit me, so I've been waiting for ages for one of the older models to become available on the refurb store. As soon as I saw one, I hopped on it!

I actually would have loved the TB, because I've played with it a few times and it's neat for shortcuts, but what I actually needed was a machine that could connect to my current peripherals easily— maybe next time I'm in the market for a laptop it won't be so important, but at present I needed another few years of compatibility with my older stuff, so no TB for me. :(

I love Apple, I really do, but their relentless drive to move to the next generation's standard of equipment at the expense of backwards compatibility is exhausting sometimes.

That doesn't sound like Apple at all to have that kind of delay. I was considering ordering and having it delivered to the Apple Store, Belfast! Two hours up the road but guaranteed to be there at a particular day and time!

I hear what you are saying about the ports. Apple do like to push thier loyal customer with change but it usually works out in the end:) Enjoy you machine when it finally arrives!

• Advertisement

That doesn't sound like Apple at all to have that kind of delay. I was considering ordering and having it delivered to the Apple Store, Belfast! Two hours up the road but guaranteed to be there at a particular day and time!

Typing on it now! Arrived this afternoon. Love it so far, and the Migration Assistant transferred over absolutely everything from my old computer. Can't believe how well it worked!

The delivery process was not smooth, and I have some number of complaints which I will be raising with Apple at some point soon, but for tonight I'm just going to enjoy my new computer.

Getting yours sent to Belfast might be the smartest option at this time of year, to be honest. I don't know if it would be wise to use a forwarder with the season that's in it, and my experience with the delivery company in the South is not something I would recommend. Enjoy the trip, do a bit of shopping, pick up some cheap booze, and save yourself the hassle I've had the last few days... :pac:

Did you decide on a model yet?

Typing on it now! Arrived this afternoon. Love it so far, and the Migration Assistant transferred over absolutely everything from my old computer. Can't believe how well it worked!

The delivery process was not smooth, and I have some number of complaints which I will be raising with Apple at some point soon, but for tonight I'm just going to enjoy my new computer.

Getting yours sent to Belfast might be the smartest option at this time of year, to be honest. I don't know if it would be wise to use a forwarder with the season that's in it, and my experience with the delivery company in the South is not something I would recommend. Enjoy the trip, do a bit of shopping, pick up some cheap booze, and save yourself the hassle I've had the last few days... :pac:

Did you decide on a model yet?

Glad all worked out for you mate. Have to wait to the New Year now. :( Spent more on a few presents that I had budgeted for. Will be in Canada in the summer so not too sure what I might do yet.Enjoy:)

Glad all worked out for you mate. Have to wait to the New Year now. :( Spent more on a few presents that I had budgeted for. Will be in Canada in the summer so not too sure what I might do yet.Enjoy:)

Really loving it so far, thanks! The speed is a good step up on the Air I was using previous to this, and the keyboard is a joy. I'm also deeply appreciative of the Retina screen, because I'm used to working attached to large monitors and going back to the tiny screen when I was off them was a huge pain. I'm not finding the lack of a Touch Bar a drawback currently, though perhaps it will bother me more in years to come when there are more apps designed around it versus the odd one utilizing it a wee bit.

I personally would be hesitant to buy outside the EU for warranty reasons, but the price difference in the US can be very attractive for Apple products, all right. (Not sure about Canada, though; aren't things usually fairly pricey there?)

The only suggestion I can make is to keep an eye on MacRumors Buyer's Guide when you're getting ready to pull the trigger, unless you're considering a refurb like I got. I would also recommend the refurb store if you're wanting the discount and are prepared to take slightly older stock! Hope your gift recipients are properly grateful for the sacrifice you've made this festive season... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Anyway, regards my choice: I actually opted for one of the 2015 models, so the Touch Bar wasn't an option for me.

Great choice :)https://marco.org/2017/11/14/best-laptop-ever

I used one for years in work and they "upgraded" me to a new Touchbar mac. It's maxed out but I still have so many issues. Touch Bar is a gimmick. I've been considering a refurb model for home use too, still just slightly outside the budget at this time of year.

Danbo! wrote: »

I used one for years in work and they "upgraded" me to a new Touchbar mac. It's maxed out but I still have so many issues. Touch Bar is a gimmick. I've been considering a refurb model for home use too, still just slightly outside the budget at this time of year.

That article has me trawling the www for one now:mad: Don't you just love Apple:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that— might soothe the sting a bit when my card bill comes! :pac:

The timing wasn't the best for me, either, but it had been quite a while since I'd seen one on the refurb store, so I couldn't let it pass, as the further we get from their release date, the more scarce they'll become, I suspect.

The article says Apple is still selling them, though? Only in the refurb store that I can see, and even that's a rarity. They do have two left there currently— my advice is to buy through the UK store if you're not bothered by future Brexit-related warranty concerns. It's a good bit cheaper, they all come from England anyway, and I think the delivery within the UK is more reliable.

They're not wrong in that article about the Magsafe connection, though! I understand the appeal of not needing a distinct cable for only charging, but the Magsafe has saved my bacon so many times over the years that I can't fathom saying goodbye to it.

That article is clearly a love letter to classic Apple design, but this really stood out for me:
    It feels like a professional tool, made by people who love and need computers, at the top of their game.

So far, at least, I definitely agree.

Thanks for that— might soothe the sting a bit when my card bill comes! :pac:

The timing wasn't the best for me, either, but it had been quite a while since I'd seen one on the refurb store, so I couldn't let it pass, as the further we get from their release date, the more scarce they'll become, I suspect.

The article says Apple is still selling them, though? Only in the refurb store that I can see, and even that's a rarity. They do have two left there currently— my advice is to buy through the UK store if you're not bothered by future Brexit-related warranty concerns. It's a good bit cheaper, they all come from England anyway, and I think the delivery within the UK is more reliable.

They're not wrong in that article about the Magsafe connection, though! I understand the appeal of not needing a distinct cable for only charging, but the Magsafe has saved my bacon so many times over the years that I can't fathom saying goodbye to it.

That article is clearly a love letter to classic Apple design, but this really stood out for me:

So far, at least, I definitely agree.

They do still sell them new with upgraded internals but they're still pricey at north of 2k for 2.2Ghz / 16gb /256gb HD :(

Scroll down below the two TouchBar ones
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch

They do still sell them new with upgraded internals but they're still pricey at north of 2k for 2.2Ghz / 16gb /256gb HD :(

Scroll down below the two TouchBar ones
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch

Ah, for the love of—! :eek:

If I'd known that... Actually, if I'd known that, I might not have waited for one to come up on the refurb store, and would have ended up spending a lot more than I did. Maybe ignorance worked out for me for once?

Ah, for the love of—! :eek:

If I'd known that... Actually, if I'd known that, I might not have waited for one to come up on the refurb store, and would have ended up spending a lot more than I did. Maybe ignorance worked out for me for once?

Absolutely - I've been waiting for the new iMacs to show up on the refurb store. They're just as good as brand new, probably went through a tougher quality check, and so much cheaper

Absolutely - I've been waiting for the new iMacs to show up on the refurb store. They're just as good as brand new, probably went through a tougher quality check, and so much cheaper

Got my previous Air from there in 2014 and it has treated me very kindly since then. I'm only replacing it because I'm fed up of the small screen and would like a bit more grunt for multi-tasking. I would likewise recommend the refurb store: if you can be patient and/or don't need a new machine immediately, it's worth stalking for the better deal! I saved about €400 on this machine, which is well worth it to me.

It's interesting to note the percentage difference in the UK and IE stores, though. On the Irish store, this model is marked down as something like 22% reduction, and on the UK store it was something like 10%? I'm guessing it's to do with currency fluctuations, but I don't know for sure. It's still cheaper on the UK store anyway, of course...

Also, heads up on Parcel motel, you can switch your account to direct delivery, and they'll send to an address instead of to a locker, for I think €7 instead of €3.95. I'd still worry that max liability available is €1,500 tho.

Also, heads up on Parcel motel, you can switch your account to direct delivery, and they'll send to an address instead of to a locker, for I think €7 instead of €3.95. I'd still worry that max liability available is €1,500 tho.

That was the other part of the reason I ended up going via the Irish store.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I just checked there, and ordering a MacBook today will give you a delivery date of Thursday, so no fault of UPS. Apple shouldn’t call it express shipping if it takes 4 days, especially when UPS have an overnight service

whiterebel wrote: »
    I just checked there, and ordering a MacBook today will give you a delivery date of Thursday, so no fault of UPS. Apple shouldn’t call it express shipping if it takes 4 days, especially when UPS have an overnight service

Beyond the overall shipping time, there were so, so many issues with my delivery.

The driver ignored requests on the file despite stating he was aware of them, every time I called I was given contradictory information, and in the end the actual delivery date and Apple's delivery date didn't match, so if I had arranged to be home only on the official delivery date, it would have come the day before instead— this despite UPS assuring me it would in fact be delivered on the two previous days, so I had stayed home and waited by the bell on those days, too.

I wasted two and a half days waiting with absent or inaccurate information. In this day and age, and for such an expensive item, I should have been given a specific and guaranteed delivery date and time window. I don't mind paying Apple's prices, but I do expect the overall purchasing experience to be a lot less frustrating in light of them.

By comparison, my Watch purchase a few weeks ago was seamless and painless, which is what I expect from Apple— the only ouch I'm prepared to tolerate from them is in my wallet.

Ordered a refurb yesterday at about 11am, estimated delivery at checkout was 21st Dec. Estimated delivery on email confirmation was 27th Dec. Just checked tracking and it's in the DHL hub in Dublin airport already, delivery today :D

• Advertisement

Ordered a refurb yesterday at about 11am, estimated delivery at checkout was 21st Dec. Estimated delivery on email confirmation was 27th Dec. Just checked tracking and it's in the DHL hub in Dublin airport already, delivery today :D

That's the difference in DHL and UPS for you. :mad: Let me know if it actually gets there in time! I'd be interested in the comparison. I did order mine on the weekend, though, so I'm sure that's a factor also.

Hope it works out for you— I'm really loving mine. My only complaint is that the new Firefox just seems to screw Macs completely; I'm having to make do with a crappy mix of Safari and Chrome these days, neither of which I like.

Good luck with it! Glad you decided to pull the trigger after all. :pac:

That's the difference in DHL and UPS for you. :mad: Let me know if it actually gets there in time! I'd be interested in the comparison. I did order mine on the weekend, though, so I'm sure that's a factor also.

Hope it works out for you— I'm really loving mine. My only complaint is that the new Firefox just seems to screw Macs completely; I'm having to make do with a crappy mix of Safari and Chrome these days, neither of which I like.

Good luck with it! Glad you decided to pull the trigger after all. :pac:

Work pulled the trigger in the end. I need to carry it in and out on the bike and the 15" is a bit heavy on the back doing 12km each way. Went for a new (refurb) 13 Pro, so a bit lighter. Will be interesting to see if the June 2017 models have ironed out any of the issues I'm having with the 2016 one

Work pulled the trigger in the end. I need to carry it in and out on the bike and the 15" is a bit heavy on the back doing 12km each way. Went for a new (refurb) 13 Pro, so a bit lighter. Will be interesting to see if the June 2017 models have ironed out any of the issues I'm having with the 2016 one

Even better! The 15" is definitely a hefty machine; I love mine, but I'm a sucker for screen real estate (and there's no way my lazy ass would cycle 24km per day), so the high res capability was first priority for me over portability, etc.

I'll be interested to know how you get on with it, though— What was your primary issue with your current machine?

Even better! The 15" is definitely a hefty machine; I love mine, but I'm a sucker for screen real estate (and there's no way my lazy ass would cycle 24km per day), so the high res capability was first priority for me over portability, etc.

I'll be interested to know how you get on with it, though— What was your primary issue with your current machine?

Still "with delivery courier" :o

I use a 5k monitor in work with it so plenty of screen real estate! And I had been using a 12" MacBook at home so a bit of a bump will help.

Issues with the 15" (newer USB-C Touch Bar model) are just related to performance. It's at max spec available and it just seems to struggle with some things like video rendering that I would expect it to be better at. My MacBook at home has been 'up' for over 90 days without issue, but I have to restart the Pro almost daily due to crashes or locking up. It'll probably be sent back to Apple by IT guys here once I've changed over, just couldn't afford to lose a few days to do that before I had a replacement. The 13" is a June 2017 model so here's hoping. I'm taking a hit on overall spec in favour of size and weight, but if it's less buggy it'll be well worth it.

I use a 5k monitor in work with it so plenty of screen real estate! And I had been using a 12" MacBook at home so a bit of a bump will help.

Issues with the 15" (newer USB-C Touch Bar model) are just related to performance. It's at max spec available and it just seems to struggle with some things like video rendering that I would expect it to be better at. My MacBook at home has been 'up' for over 90 days without issue, but I have to restart the Pro almost daily due to crashes or locking up. It'll probably be sent back to Apple by IT guys here once I've changed over, just couldn't afford to lose a few days to do that before I had a replacement. The 13" is a June 2017 model so here's hoping. I'm taking a hit on overall spec in favour of size and weight, but if it's less buggy it'll be well worth it.

Daily reboots to prevent crashing?! Ah, here, that's nonsense— I expect better from Apple. No wonder you were irritated. I haven't actually done any video editing on my new machine to try it out, but I definitely notice issues with video playing depending on the browser. Must play around with Final Cut tonight and see if I have any issues! It's not the hugest issue for me since it's something I only do occasionally, but if it's central to your work that would drive you dotty. I think the graphics cards on the newer models might be better for video stuff, but hopefully you'll get to experience that for yourself?

Out of curiosity: what adapter will you be using to connect the new machine to your big monitor? I have a Cinema Display and a Dell here that I use (not together; desk's not big enough!), but nothing on that scale. I will say that I don't feel the need to connect them as badly as I did on the Air, though. I've been at here at my desk for thirty minutes now just using the machine as-is because I adore the keyboard that came on it. Best keyboard I've ever had the pleasure of using— why they saw fit to change it on the new machines I will never know.

Will keep my fingers crossed that your computer makes it to you before close of business today.

Daily reboots to prevent crashing?! Ah, here, that's nonsense— I expect better from Apple. No wonder you were irritated. I haven't actually done any video editing on my new machine to try it out, but I definitely notice issues with video playing depending on the browser. Must play around with Final Cut tonight and see if I have any issues! It's not the hugest issue for me since it's something I only do occasionally, but if it's central to your work that would drive you dotty. I think the graphics cards on the newer models might be better for video stuff, but hopefully you'll get to experience that for yourself?

Out of curiosity: what adapter will you be using to connect the new machine to your big monitor? I have a Cinema Display and a Dell here that I use (not together; desk's not big enough!), but nothing on that scale. I will say that I don't feel the need to connect them as badly as I did on the Air, though. I've been at here at my desk for thirty minutes now just using the machine as-is because I adore the keyboard that came on it. Best keyboard I've ever had the pleasure of using— why they saw fit to change it on the new machines I will never know.

Will keep my fingers crossed that your computer makes it to you before close of business today.

Just arrived and setting up now, impressive service, just over 28 hours from purchase to delivery

The LG 5K monitor used a thunderbolt 3 cable into the machine, which also powers it which keeps the desk lovely and neat! One cable sending info to display while also pulling power from it. Pretty cool.

And yeah, video editing isn't the only thing I do but do work on video about 40% of the time so it's driving me nuts!

Just arrived and setting up now, impressive service, just over 28 hours from purchase to delivery

The LG 5K monitor used a thunderbolt 3 cable into the machine, which also powers it which keeps the desk lovely and neat! One cable sending info to display while also pulling power from it. Pretty cool.

And yeah, video editing isn't the only thing I do but do work on video about 40% of the time so it's driving me nuts!

Delighted for you! That was exactly the experience I had with my recent Watch order, so I was expecting something similar with the computer and was hugely disappointed. I'm trying to check if my Watch came by UPS or DHL, but apparently because I got it to PM, it came by "UK Mail"? Anyway, I think we already know which service is more reliable, not that it matters much since I don't think you can request a specific carrier, unfortunately. I would contact Apple in advance of any future orders to ask, though!

The Cinema Display has a cable which splits into Magsafe 1 and Thunderbolt 1 (2?) which is really neat also, but you still need a Magsafe 1 > 2 converter. The 5k display must be a fairly recent item? Sounds amazing, anyway— I'm well jealous! Hopefully Apple will be able to sort something out with the other machine; bugs on that level just aren't acceptable when dealing with machines at this price.

Delighted for you! That was exactly the experience I had with my recent Watch order, so I was expecting something similar with the computer and was hugely disappointed. I'm trying to check if my Watch came by UPS or DHL, but apparently because I got it to PM, it came by "UK Mail"? Anyway, I think we already know which service is more reliable, not that it matters much since I don't think you can request a specific carrier, unfortunately. I would contact Apple in advance of any future orders to ask, though!

The Cinema Display has a cable which splits into Magsafe 1 and Thunderbolt 1 (2?) which is really neat also, but you still need a Magsafe 1 > 2 converter. The 5k display must be a fairly recent item? Sounds amazing, anyway— I'm well jealous! Hopefully Apple will be able to sort something out with the other machine; bugs on that level just aren't acceptable when dealing with machines at this price.

Yeah the 5K LG display came out around the same time as the newer MacBooks last year.

I know I'm still firmly in the honeymoon period and it's a brand new machine, but the 15" was almost definitely a dud I've put up with for 9 months now :o This thing is blazing fast. It's not just a bit better here and there, it's significantly faster with measurable tasks, such as video rendering (3min vs 9min) etc.

Also, what I've been waiting for, which of course this happens today, the newer 2017 iMacs are now on the refurb store just today. And there's loads of them. Wallet just jumped out of my pocket and hid behind the couch :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is there a big difference in performance between the 2017 MBP and the MacBook? Torn between a 16Gb/512GB 2017 macbook i5,or a 2016 13” 8/512 Touchbar. Not doing anything too strenuous, but I like .the idea of the Touch ID
    Both around the same money in the refurb store. Coming from a 2012 MBA 13” 8/256

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Is there a big difference in performance between the 2017 MBP and the MacBook? Torn between a 16Gb/512GB 2017 macbook i5,or a 2016 13” 8/512 Touchbar. Not doing anything too strenuous, but I like .the idea of the Touch ID
    Both around the same money in the refurb store.

You mean the 12" MacBook, right?

I know the processor is far superior in the Pro anyway, but if there's a 16gb model in the refurb store that extra ram will help - it really boils down to what you'll be using it for. I've had the MacBook (1.1Ghz/8gb/256gb) for 2 years and it's been pretty solid with the expectation I won't be rendering video in a hurry. It handles 24mp photos in RAW format in light room with a little bit of patience, but my god the absolute size of it is unbelievable. It's so light and portable.

EDIT: Also, TouchID is grand, but I wouldn't let it be the dealbreaker IMO.

Advertisement