Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook delivery time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Danbo! wrote: »
    You mean the 12" MacBook, right?

I know the processor is far superior in the Pro anyway, but if there's a 16gb model in the refurb store that extra ram will help - it really boils down to what you'll be using it for. I've had the MacBook (1.1Ghz/8gb/256gb) for 2 years and it's been pretty solid with the expectation I won't be rendering video in a hurry. It handles 24mp photos in RAW format in light room with a little bit of patience, but my god the absolute size of it is unbelievable. It's so light and portable.

EDIT: Also, TouchID is grand, but I wouldn't let it be the dealbreaker IMO.

Yes, 2017 12” Macbook v 2016 13” Pro. No video rendering. Well maybe just a little bit. Word, Safari, Keynote/PowerPoint. Have a hub on the desk now which will connect either to HD monitor, 5 USB ports, SD card etc. Keyboard on new MacBook is supposed to be much nicer than it was too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yes, 2017 12” Macbook v 2016 13” Pro. No video rendering. Well maybe just a little bit. Word, Safari, Keynote/PowerPoint. Have a hub on the desk now which will connect either to HD monitor, 5 USB ports, SD card etc. Keyboard on new MacBook is supposed to be much nicer than it was too.

Yeah I was coming from a 13 Air too, which my wife now uses. The keyboard on it feels so mushy these days compared to the new butterfly mechanism one. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's great. I'd say go with the 12" for portability if that's a factor. Screen size not as important as you have an external monitor.

The one thing to consider is ports - if you are going 12" it only has one, so make sure your hub supports "pass-through" power as a minimum. I originally got a cheap hub from china where you could only have either the hub or power cable in. Had to buy a more expensive one that doesn't actually charge the battery, but will keep it on mains so battery does not deplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

whiterebel wrote: »

The newest MB keyboard is superior to the original tiny MB keyboard, but it is still very different to what you have on the Air (or on the MBP). I personally despise it, but that's because I'm writing sometimes tens of thousands of words daily. If you're not in the same boat, it might not bother you to the same extent. You likely won't find a person more fussy about keyboards than I am— a high screen resolution and a good keyboard are my two priorities for a machine, and I'll even take hits on speed/performance to have them.

Glad the new machine is working out for you, Danbo— can't believe you put up with the other one for so long when it seems so clear that it's defective in some way! The iMac Pros make me genuinely drool, but the god's honest truth is that I have no call for such a machine. :(

...Which actually is probably for the best, considering I just got this one and I do still need other things, like food and electricity...!

Advertisement