Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard upgrade question

Options
  • 28-11-2017 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

I need a bit of advice please. My aging pc has an i73770 cpu and 16gb of ddr3 (667mhz) ram . recently i bought a gtx1050ti and found it would not work on my machine. My motherboard is too old. Can anybody here please point me in the direction of a motherboard that would be compatible with my processor and ram. ive returned the gtx1050ti and will probably opt for the 1060.

I've looked online and am just very unsure of what to get so please any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What's the motherboard model?
    It's strange that the 1050 Ti didn't work; LGA 1155 all had PCI-Express 2.0/3.0 slots AFAIK and they're not that old (i7-3770 is still a good gaming CPU).

Have you updated the motherboard BIOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some manufacturers lock out card upgrades. HP home are notorious for it. Generally doesn't happen with HP business or Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Thanks for the replies

It was an advent pc i got in pc world a few years back. after my mishap with gfx card i bought i checked online and my motherboard is not compatible. im not at home now so i cant tell you off hand what the motherboard is. as for updating the bios it was flashed to the latest as far as I know.

I'm in contact with a guy from limerick on adverts.ie who does pc upgrades and seems quite reputable. A new motherboard, gtx 1060 and a blu ray burner for 450. sound good?

An advent should be fine, they use normal off the shelf parts. Are you sure the GTX1050Ti wasn't just faulty? What's supposedly not compatiable about the motherboard?

As for how good value that is, impossible to say without knowing model of motherboard, GTX1060 and burner.

I have no idea why the mobo wont take the card, unfortunately i cant try another gtx 10 series card as i dont know anybody local that can let me test it.
    when i installed the new card fans would spin but then no display on screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you move the display cable from the onboard to the offboard port I wonder....

update on this, turns out the gtx1050 i got was faulty, going for an r9 280 or 380 depending on how much i can get it for. thanks for all the replies and suggestions, much appreciated

Both those cards are around the same as the GTX1050Ti 4GB performance wise, and considering they guzzle double the power or more, I'd say unless you get a really cheap one there's little point.

Also both cards would require a PSU with dual six pin pci-e connectors, which I doubt an Advent machine has unless it was originally sold as an Advent gaming machine or the PSU was upgraded at some point.

GTX1050Ti 4GB is the easiest option as it's only €150 or so and doesn't need an upgrade.

upgraded to a 500w corsair 2 years back, will that be sufficent? guy thats fixing my machine swears by the r9s

Yes, that would be OK. There's nothing special about the R9s though, they use a ton more power than a GTX1050Ti and performance is similar - not to mention they are old now and you'd have no warranty as they'd be 2nd hand.

Unless you got one for something like €80 I would not really see the point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement