Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is insanity- why did I come back?

Options
  • 28-11-2017 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭

Went to a viewing of a nice enough 2 bedroom apartment in Clare Hall at the weekend. It was advertised for €190k and bidding as of lunchtime yesterday was €224k. :(

It's just so difficult to stay positive. I am on decent enough money but single- I feel I will never be able to even buy an apartment, much less settle down in a house with children, unless I give up on the idea of living in my home city.

I am in no way picky- that was only the first place I looked at and I would consider nearly all areas to live in. Ballymun and Finglas would be next on my list, I doubt I could afford Santry at this stage, which is where I was considering a couple of months ago.

Is it like this at every viewing? I knew it would go for more than the asking price but €224k for that place is madness.

Just needed to vent. Doesn't sound like there will be any improvement in the next 3-5 years- should I just resign myself to a house share until I'm 35? Why are these our options? Why were our parents able to buy 3 bed semi ds with relative ease 30 years ago? Why is society so much more fractured?

Ok I'm being dramatic- I'll just stop whingeing and keep up the search for a 40m2 one bed box in Ballymun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Shelga wrote: »
    should I just resign myself to a house share until I'm 35?

35 is an aggressive timeline to move out of house share. The average age for moving out of house share into your own shoe box is 47 years old here in Dublin.

In all seriousness. This is not the right time to be buying property. You will almost always find yourself outbid on property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's Fxcked up. But I wouldn't wait, if you can afford it now do it, you will have longer to pay it back so can better afford it. The property market is rigged buy every political party. It won't improve.

The government want people to look at life long renting but would you trust the government to make that work? You'd be staking you old age security on it.

If you can put up with house sharing, why not buy a two or 3 bed and rent rooms out. Use the extra money to build up saving or pay down the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Shelga wrote:
    Why were our parents able to buy 3 bed semi ds with relative ease 30 years ago? Why is society so much more fractured?

I'm older so I understand the reason as was for me that as women became more active in the workforce, people bought properties based on two incomes.

In my parents generation, there were generally only single income families competing to buy.

Now you are competing with dual income buyers which is why it is so difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly my experience was to add 10% to 15% to asking prices to find what I could afford before even going to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

They were able to buy because 30 years ago there was
    Unemployment 17%
    Emigration -more people leaving than arriving
    Strict credit controls one income taken into account.
    Lower lti
    Shorter terms
    30 years ago you wouldn't have been able to come back to Dublin if you left

It's tough buying.
    Ten years ago you had the possibility of affordable housing as an option.

Clare hall would be a good rental. Look for somewhere that is not as easy a rental. Keep saving. hopefully government won't continue to meddle. Leave the lti limits alone and if building happens things might even out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP. To afford a 200k home, you must have a deposit of at least 20k and an income over 50k. So congratulations for reaching that kind of position.

The market in Dublin is definitely still on the hot side, especially in the lower end of the market. There are a lot of first time buyers who have put together the required deposit and are desperately looking to move out of home or the even more insane rental market. I think a lot of agents are also listing houses below expected sale price to generate interest and start bidding wars.

Have you looked at moving out a bit, to say Swords, where 200k will still give you more to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Shelga

Thanks for the replies. I knew things were grim but it’s only now I’m going to viewings that I’m understanding just how much above asking prices that places are going for.

Yes I’d definitely consider Swords. As I said, I’ve only been to one viewing and am already freaking out! :p I’m keeping all options open.

What would be an area that wouldn’t be so viable, rental-wise, where I might get more value for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What would be an area that wouldn’t be so viable, rental-wise, where I might get more value for money?

There isn't much value for money in the greater Dublin region at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

If I were in your position I would seriously consider waiting this one out...houses and apartments are going up by crazy money week on week, which in turn is causing people to panic and over bid, pushing the price up and up, this as we all know cannot last and when prices start to tumble they will crash hard, that's when the smart people buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

House prices are only set to increase over the next 3 years - so how long should you wait?

I'm currently on the bench, waiting, but as I too am single and over my mid 30s I'm not going to get a 35 year mortgage. I've not been in the right place to buy until recently - and even then I'm worried my job could go kaput in the morning as it has for me in the past.

http://www.newstalk.com/New-report-predicts-house-prices-could-rise-by-20-over-next-two-years

Theres little or no security for people in this country I feel and I regret not leaving when some of my family and friends have in the past.

So I hear your pain OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Kamili wrote: »
    House prices are only set to increase over the next 3 years - so how long should you wait?

4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Went to a viewing of a nice enough 2 bedroom apartment in Clare Hall at the weekend. It was advertised for €190k and bidding as of lunchtime yesterday was €224k. :(

It's just so difficult to stay positive. I am on decent enough money but single- I feel I will never be able to even buy an apartment, much less settle down in a house with children, unless I give up on the idea of living in my home city.

I am in no way picky- that was only the first place I looked at and I would consider nearly all areas to live in. Ballymun and Finglas would be next on my list, I doubt I could afford Santry at this stage, which is where I was considering a couple of months ago.

Is it like this at every viewing? I knew it would go for more than the asking price but €224k for that place is madness.

Just needed to vent. Doesn't sound like there will be any improvement in the next 3-5 years- should I just resign myself to a house share until I'm 35? Why are these our options? Why were our parents able to buy 3 bed semi ds with relative ease 30 years ago? Why is society so much more fractured?

Ok I'm being dramatic- I'll just stop whingeing and keep up the search for a 40m2 one bed box in Ballymun.

Yes, you are being over dramatic. What age are you now?

There's no point in looking back and saying why is it not like that anymore, it's just not. So deal with the reality.

If you're willing to live in Ballymun/Finglas there's plenty of places that you can afford.

You said yourself it's on the 1st place you looked at so you haven't made a huge effort now have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

This is not the right time to be buying property. You will almost always find yourself outbid on property.

There is never an ideal time to buy property.

Back in the boom prices were going up by the day.Like now. But people could borrow whatever they wanted.

In the recession prices were dropping....because there were no buyers...because people could not get financing.

If you don't buy now (vs in 5 years time), think of how much you will pay in rent over that period. How much of that would be off your mortgage?

You might need to be more realistic in where you go to buy. You might need to search further away from where you ideally would like to live...but thats reality.

Its tough market...good times & bad. Don't pay more than you can afford and look at the long term picture rather than just now (ie dont buy a small sh1tty 1 bed in middle of nowhere wanting a family later on -you might not be able to sell it later).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yep, pretty much just estate sales. Best option is to wait 20 years, for the baby boomers to start dropping off like flys and a serious population decline starts happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes it is tough. But it is do - able. I'm in the same situation as you. I felt overwhelmed at the beginning too.
    Very overwhelmed.
    What did I do?
    I worked really hard and got a Pay rise.
    I saved like crazy.
    I searched and searched and searched. Like maybe 70 - 100 properties.
    Now today I'm unpacking my boxes.

You have to draw up a plan. Get sound financial advise. Draw up.a budget

In your situation I would consider east wall??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Or else get dating!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

In all seriousness. This is not the right time to be buying property. You will almost always find yourself outbid on property.

I'm looking at buying at the moment with my partner. We'd probably be paying €1500 p/m rent, meaning every year we wait will cost is €18,000 in rent. 3 years of that is over €50,000.

How long would we have to wait to save €50k+ on current prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

35 is an aggressive timeline to move out of house share. The average age for moving out of house share into your own shoe box is 47 years old here in Dublin.

so when will the right time be?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bigguns2

Just curious, approx how much would the repayments be on a mortage of 300,000 over 40 years?

• Advertisement

bigguns2 wrote: »
    Just curious, approx how much would the repayments be on a mortage of 300,000 over 40 years?

Well that depends on your interest rate. One thing that's sure though is over 40 years you'll pay massive amounts of interest as a proportion of the loan.

Have a look here: https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/ie/

At AIBs variable rate (3.15) the payments would be €1100
    At BOIs variable rate (4.5) the payments would be €1350

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bleary wrote:
    They were able to buy because 30 years ago there was Unemployment 17% Emigration -more people leaving than arriving Strict credit controls one income taken into account. Lower lti Shorter terms 30 years ago you wouldn't have been able to come back to Dublin if you left

You left out high interest rates 10% would have been cheap. I paid 19.5% during the currency crisis. Fortunately we devalued the punt by 10% and everything settled down

I don't know what the answer is with buying a home in Dublin. They are still due to increase in price for the next few years. Even when they level out I can't see them coming down unless Trump or Brexit throw up something mad.

Were looking at possibly 6 to 8 years before supply catches up with demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Kamili wrote: »

I'm currently on the bench, waiting, but as I too am single and over my mid 30s I'm not going to get a 35 year mortgage. I've not been in the right place to buy until recently - and even then I'm worried my job could go kaput in the morning as it has for me in the past.

http://www.newstalk.com/New-report-predicts-house-prices-could-rise-by-20-over-next-two-years

Theres little or no security for people in this country I feel and I regret not leaving when some of my family and friends have in the past.

So I hear your pain OP!

Hang on one minute! you can say with certainty that they will increase over the next 3 years. If I had to be bet one way or the other, yes I would say its more likely they will be higher, but you can say nothing with absolute certainty!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm looking at buying at the moment with my partner. We'd probably be paying €1500 p/m rent, meaning every year we wait will cost is €18,000 in rent. 3 years of that is over €50,000.

How long would we have to wait to save €50k+ on current prices?

ok, lets say you spend 18k on rent over 3 years. Then property prices increase by lets say 10% per year, compound. Then you also have to pay all extra interest back from the increased price *assuming of course that they do increase, although it does seem more likely to me than not, that they will over the short term...

you are talking about saving a large amount of money! unless prices A) collapse and B) you are actually in a position to buy if they do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

We really need to get out of this notion that houses are for speculation. It's sucking a vast amount of money out of the economy that could be flowing around. When it's spent on property, it's typically going to service a large mortgage and that money's effectively going right out of the system as the banks are borrowing on the international markets.

Imagine how much nicer the place would be if 50% more disposable income were sloshing around in the real economy... Or, being invested in real businesses ...

Wesser wrote: »
    Or else get dating!!!!!

You might be saying it in jest but that’s a huge factor. Someone on a good wage of €50k a year can get a mortgage of €175k, and with a deposit of €25k, you’re looking at €200k properties. As a couple you can double that and suddenly there’s so much more open to you.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    ok, lets say you spend 18k on rent over 3 years. Then property prices increase by lets say 10% per year, compound. Then you also have to pay all extra interest back from the increased price *assuming of course that they do increase, although it does seem more likely to me than not, that they will over the short term...

you are talking about saving a large amount of money! unless prices A) collapse and B) you are actually in a position to buy if they do!

1) I'm talking about buying now, not waiting three years when prices have compounded themselves by 10% per year

2) It's €18k rent per year not over three years as stated. If renting cost €6k per year I'd probably never buy a house

The right time to buy is when you find a house you like and can afford. If those things line up then waiting is not a sensible or rational decision.

Mortgage repayments on a €450k loan over 30 years will be just under €2k a month. You can’t rent a three-bedroom house for that in most areas in Dublin at this stage. It's mental that it's cheaper to have a mortgage than to rent.

It's mental that it's cheaper to have a mortgage than to rent.

Errr... huh?

If the mortgage was more expensive than the rent then the landlord would be losing money every month. I mean almost by definition should the rent not be higher than the mortgage on an equivalent property?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You might be saying it in jest but that’s a huge factor. Someone on a good wage of €50k a year can get a mortgage of €175k, and with a deposit of €25k, you’re looking at €200k properties. As a couple you can double that and suddenly there’s so much more open to you.

This is another thing people aren't taking into account when saying things were way better back in the day. I don't know anyone of my parents generation or older who bought a house as a single person, it was always a married couple.

Advertisement