Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant woman made homeless before Christmas

Options
  • 28-11-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Article in the Times

Pregnant woman left homeless after making life ‘intolerable’ for neighbours

---
    I genuinely thought it was going to be a "poor me" article with a picture of a pregnant lady looking morose, i have to say I'm glad to see the other side of the story in the media for once.

Having said that, i do hope she has family or friends to take her in. Her name and picture are out there, no LL will take her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

With waiting lists so long etc. How did she manage to get a local authority house anyways? Considering she's young, single and no previous kids. I would have thought she'd be way down priority wise on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

van_beano wrote:
    With waiting lists so long etc. How did she manage to get a local authority house anyways? Considering she's young, single and no previous kids. I would have thought she'd be way down priority wise on the list.

She could have been on the list for years, I'm sure the pregnancy counted in her favor if she doesn't have family to take her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

van_beano wrote: »
    With waiting lists so long etc. How did she manage to get a local authority house anyways?

was an apartment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Utter scum.

It seems the courts have done something worthy of praise for a change.

Pelvis wrote:
    It seems the courts have done something worthy of praise for a change.

I'm surprised they got it done in 10 days. It's a shame it takes such extreme anti-social behavior to get a tenant removed that quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Riskymove wrote: »
    was an apartment

Either way its absolutely ridiculous a 23 year old gets a council property.

What hope has the kid got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

If her womb is anything to go by - this *** should never be given the responsibility of providing a safe healthy environment for a child. Smoking while pregnant should be a criminal offence... and A stretch in pokie would provide the likes of her with appropriate accommodation in the short term.

Zoe%20Byrne1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

rawn wrote: »
    I'm surprised they got it done in 10 days. It's a shame it takes such extreme anti-social behavior to get a tenant removed that quickly!

From reading the article, she was 10 days in when the council started getting complaints. I see a district court case, a second court case and a appeal denied leading to an eviction order. I would take a guess and say she has been there for well over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Around 5 years on the list ,given a cushy apartment and gets evicted serious case of self entitlement going on ,
    She has no one to blame but herself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Nice, so now the taxpayer have to pay for her to get housed in emergency accommodation. Absolute degenerate, sure how would you know the value of anything when you've never had to work for it. I really feel for her kid(s), what a role model they have.

• Advertisement

From reading the article, she was 10 days in when the council started getting complaints. I see a district court case, a second court case and a appeal denied leading to an eviction order. I would take a guess and say she has been there for well over a year.

Oh you're right, i don't know why I thought all that was possible in 10 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jon1981 wrote: »
    I really feel for her kid(s), what a role model they have.

probably the same type of role model she had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

A number of other contributing factors as well, there was a poor mother of 4 with MS who was living beside her and had to live with her like this. There was also the case of the rats she attracted with all the rubbish.

I assume the county council was looking at a lawsuit if they didnt sort it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's great to see a judge not allowing him/herself to be manipulated by this. The girl got her chance and blew it. There has to be some consequences to her actions, otherwise she will never learn.

It may well be the wake up call that she needs and she may get herself clean now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

pilly wrote: »
    It's great to see a judge not allowing him/herself to be manipulated by this. The girl got her chance and blew it. There has to be some consequences to her actions, otherwise she will never learn.

It may well be the wake up call that she needs and she may get herself clean now.

There are two other court cases outside of the one reported. She was given lee-way in both. I mean to arrive at the appeal of the second court order for eviction pleading "that you will learn your lesson" while the article indicates that between the last order and the appeal, she kept going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

There are two other court cases outside of the one reported. She was given lee-way in both. I mean to arrive at the appeal of the second court order for eviction pleading "that you will learn your lesson" while the article indicates that between the last order and the appeal, she kept going.

Yeah, she obviously thought she'd get away with it again because she was pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Poor kid she's about to have, what kind of life will she give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Finally ! I've had to move countless times to get away from people who threw all night parties and slept all day.

I'm relieved for the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor kid she's about to have, what kind of life will she give it.
    With her record her kids will probably be removed from her for their own safety. She does not seem a fit person to raise children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

loyatemu wrote: »
    probably the same type of role model she had.

Right so let's cut the cycle ... the kid has no hope otherwise, the mother clearly couldn't change despite all the support received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ArtyC wrote: »
    Finally ! I've had to move countless times to get away from people who threw all night parties and slept all day.

I'm relieved for the neighbours

My thoughts exactly. I'd imagine you would slowly go insane from it and knowing that there's very little you can go legally to get them to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

With regards to social housing, one subject that never seems to be broached is the low rents paid by social tenants. According to various reports in the press, if a working person is paying about 1/3 of their income in rent, that is considered to be the historical norm. Wnen it goes above this ratio you hear that rents are becoming dangerously unaffordable. However council rents are so low they couldnt even pay for basic maintenance and insurance of a property. Recently I read of someone in social housing paying €20 a week for accommodation, and thought it was maybe a mis-print. However a friend living in council housing, who is admittedly on a low wage (as his wife has a chronic condition so he couldnt afford to work full time and lose the medical card, which is another story!) pays a base rate of €37 for a 3 bed house with front and back garden. His two grown up children who live with him, one working and one on the dole, have to pay a contribution of around €37 each I think, bringing his total rent up to just over €100 a week. Even he thinks its crazy. He actually decided not to buy his council house because as a tenant the council takes care of maintanance and to a very high standard (a few years ago putting in new windows and kitchens in every house on the estate). He intends downsizing to a council apartment when they are too old to manage a house as there are some very nice blocks for older people in the area. He is the first to admit it is totally crazy, but what really drives him mad are those people who dont appreciate what a great deal they are getting, and some who don't even pay this ridiculously low rent.
    Now I wouldn't necessarily want to live where he lives, but a three bedroom house in the least desirable area of Dublin would rent at €1,500 or more per month, if you can even find one. No wonder local councils don't want to build houses.
    So a social welfare tenant with 2 adult children pays 1/3 or less of the commercial rent, and if the adult children move out would be paying less than €150 a mont or 10% of the commercial rent - which is no-where near enough to insure and maintain the property, never mind make enough to put aside money for future building. So not only is social housing a huge capital outlay for councils to provide, but it is a permanent drain on council budgets once built - and that's without taking into account anti-social tenants who trash their almost-free homes. Why is this never raised in the press or in the Dail when discussing the failure to build social housing?

Advertisement