Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRS03653 Children's Nurse HSE competency based interviews

Options
  • 28-11-2017 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I have this interview coming up next week. I have done it before two years ago when I was working in the NHS and did horribly and couldn't understand where i was going wrong so I'm doing a lot more prep for this one and am trying to forget about that one. Has anybody done this interview and if so is there any advice or tips you can give me? I have and am preparing the answers to the supplementary questions but am going blank with the pressure! Does anybody have ideas of examples of planning and organising in nursing that might triggor a reflection in my practice? I know we do this all the time but I need a good detailed example so any ideas would be so much appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

The thing with competency interviews is to give examples. It's not enough to say the steps you take with demanding parents or a destabilising patient. they're looking for examples of when you have, the story of what you did.
    Your degree says you know the theory, the competency interview tells the hospital that you can apply the theory.

For planning and organising have you ever been short staffed on a shift? Did you ask for help? Delegate to a student? Synchronize obs meds or labs to save time? Gone the extra mile to ensure patients were discharged quickly?
    Think of it as if it were a student asking you instead of an interview panel.

Advertisement