Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought (online) Tesco UK - Return to Tesco IRL?

Options
  • 28-11-2017 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a Huawei tablet from Tesco UK online.

Took it out of the box - keyboard is all over the place. Not recognising inputs, random characters appearing, when I try to enter WiFi code, for example, when I press one character, it inputs about 5 random.

Needs to be returned.

Any chance of returning it to a Tesco IRL store? Or will it have to go back to the online UK shop?

Not expecting miracles here, just want to return it.

There goes my lunchtime fun :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

No it needs to go back to where you bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Tesco in the North possibilty, maybe a software upgrade would solve it. It sounds like a software rather than a hardware issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Id contact Tesco directly, not sure how anyone who doesn't represent them could advise one way or the other.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Id contact Tesco directly, not sure how anyone who doesn't represent them could advise one way or the other.

Tesco Ireland is a subsidiary of Tesco UK as are quite a few other companies.

I think the point of asking on here is for advice tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

From experience Tesco Irl will refund/replace a tesco badged product bought from tesco.com but not something else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Tesco Ireland is a subsidiary of Tesco UK as are quite a few other companies.

I think the point of asking on here is for advice tbh.

I get that, my advice was to call Tesco directly and get a definitive answer. Everyone has an opinion and an experience, company policies change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Call them and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Well, this has escalated quickly!

The long and short of it: They will only accept a return if their courier can collect from a UK address. We repeatedly stated we don't have a UK address (we asked Parcel Motel etc. if they'd offer the service and they won't). We offered to pay for it to be posted (registered) back to them in the UK but they won't provide us with the UK address of their warehouse for 'security' reasons. We found a UK address on their website, but they said that it's only for milatary personnel so if we send it there we're basically down the money AND a (non functioning) tablet.

We e-mailed Tesco CEO, who to be fair, got back to us within 24 hours! But, it was the same line.

So yesterday we filled out the forms for chargeback. I suspect we'll get it as we have provided loads of evidence / correspondence of attempts to return the item, but Tesco are having none of it.

I can't believe Tesco haven't just refunded us (not a huge amount), given the amount of administration time we're costing them.

Fingers crossed for the chargeback.

PS. Anyone wanna buy a tablet? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

If you are going to do a chargeback and want it to be succesful then post the item to tesco at the address you found, it will be signed for and you will be able to prove the item is now back with Tesco, their own administration after that is none of your concern. You wont get a chargeback if you keep the item and I would imagine it's technically fraud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you are going to do a chargeback and want it to be succesful then post the item to tesco at the address you found, it will be signed for and you will be able to prove the item is now back with Tesco, their own administration after that is none of your concern. You wont get a chargeback if you keep the item and I would imagine it's technically fraud

I'll await a response from the bank, but thanks for the info. We have an email from the CEO stating not to send to that address.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

TBH couldn't give 2 flying fcuks at this rate. Not worth getting upset over. However, lesson learned, never order from Tesco again (even in Ireland, Out of principle / stubbornness)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'll await a response from the bank, but thanks for the info. We have an email from the CEO stating not to send to that address.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

TBH couldn't give 2 flying fcuks at this rate. Not worth getting upset over. However, lesson learned, never order from Tesco again (even in Ireland, Out of principle / stubbornness)

Perhaps suggest getting it fixed and asking for a refund of that amount.
    I can't see how you're entitled to a chargeback and I agree it could be fraudulent - you still have the item. Tesco don't offer international delivery at all so you breached their terms of service by using parcel motel tbh.

The bank will investigate but the above could be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Perhaps suggest getting it fixed and asking for a refund of that amount.
    I can't see how you're entitled to a chargeback and I agree it could be fraudulent - you still have the item. Tesco don't offer international delivery at all so you breached their terms of service by using parcel motel tbh.

The bank will investigate but the above could be the problem.

I’ve returned to stuff I got from Tesco Direct to a store in Ireland before. There was a bit of push back but eventually they agreed to take it back and refund me. Interestingly they refunded me the euro price and so I actually made money

Advertisement