Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank draft for Department of Justice and Equality

Options
  • 28-11-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm a customer of Bank of Ireland for many years. I have both current and savings accounts with Bank of Ireland.

I must pay a fee of €175 to the Department of Justice and Equality (a government body) in form of a bank draft ONLY. By the new rules since August 2016, they cannot accept any other forms of payment such as personal cheques, postal orders, debit or credit cards, SEPA transfers or cash.

I know Bank of Ireland no longer issues bank drafts for amounts under €500. In the current situation, I only see a way to open an account in a different bank, but this option doesn't sound right!

In the circumstances that government body only accepts bank drafts, would the bank be in a position to make an exception and issue a bank draft for the amount under €500?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

This might help: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057698658

Alternatively, get a bank draft for €500 and ask the department to give you change. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

irsy wrote: »
    I'm a customer of Bank of Ireland for many years. I have both current and savings accounts with Bank of Ireland.

I must pay a fee of €175 to the Department of Justice and Equality (a government body) in form of a bank draft ONLY. By the new rules since August 2016, they cannot accept any other forms of payment such as personal cheques, postal orders, debit or credit cards, SEPA transfers or cash.

I know Bank of Ireland no longer issues bank drafts for amounts under €500. In the current situation, I only see a way to open an account in a different bank, but this option doesn't sound right!

In the circumstances that government body only accepts bank drafts, would the bank be in a position to make an exception and issue a bank draft for the amount under €500?

Hi irsy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Any of our cashiers will give a draft for less then €500.00 once you explain it's for a governmental payment where they will only except a draft. Please be make sure that the funds are available in your current account rather then your savings account as a draft would need to be drawn on a current account rather then a savings account.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irsy

irsy wrote: »

Hi irsy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Any of our cashiers will give a draft for less then €500.00 once you explain it's for a governmental payment where they will only except a draft. Please be make sure that the funds are available in your current account rather then your savings account as a draft would need to be drawn on a current account rather then a savings account.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Thanks Darren for the quick and constructive reply!

Advertisement