Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books for toddlers

Options
  • 28-11-2017 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Anybody got some recommendations for good books to get 17 month old toddler.

Obviously its probably more about the pictures at this age.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

The Gruffalo and most of the other Julia Donaldson books. These are fantastic books and will grow with them as they will still love them when they're 5 or 6, or even later.

Any of the "That's not my ..." books with the tactile bits to touch and feel. There are millions of them so you can almost definitely find one about something your toddler is into.

The Usborne Peep Inside books. Some of them are better than others. We love Peep inside the Garden and Peep inside Animal Homes. These are another set that will grow with them as they'll love the flaps + holes etc when very young but then get a lot of educational value from reading the facts as they get older.

A lot of the pop up books by Jack Tickle are very good if you're into the pictures. The pop ups are really well done and the text rhymes so they're nice to read.

Mr Men and Little Miss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

'Toddle Waddle' is a big hit in our house.It's a julia donaldson one and both kids have read it a million times.As is 'Animal Music', same author.
    Another is 'One Little Baby'- I can't remember the author but it's absolutely perfect for that age because it goes through a toddler's day and they really relate to it.'Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes' is loved too and 'Dear Zoo' lift the flap by Rod Campbell.'Each Peach Pear Plum' is one we are starting on lately, she likes the rhymes.
    They do lift the flap books of 'what the ladybird heard' and 'the gruffalo' and the like. Our elder has those actual books, but the lift the flap is good for our younger.
    'That's not my....' books go down well too.

We have a lot of books in our house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our favourites:

-"thats not my" series.
    -Tales from Acorn wood series. (Had to buy a second set of these after he happily destroyed them and really wanted them
    -Christmas comes with Rudolphs nose (got this last year in the book people and he adores it). Its squishy/feel board book but lots of pages
    -I love my daddy (adores this)
    -I love my mummy My little world board book (can say every word of this)
    -Giraffes can't dance
    -10 little pirates (had this every night for about a month, loves it)
    -Julia Donaldson can be a bit hit and miss, I think they can be quite long for him. He doesn't like the gruffalo at all but he does like the ghost one

In the last six months (he's nearly three now) it has moved to his interests, so potty books (which we read for a good six months before training), anything involving construction, thomas the tank engine and fireman sam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Have you tried the Oliver Jeffers ones too Mirrorwall?They are quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

shesty wrote: »
    Have you tried the Oliver Jeffers ones too Mirrorwall?They are quite good.

I'll look them up now thanks! We are over run with books with grandparents on both sides teachers :D

• Advertisement

Yes, grandmother is a teacher here too!
    They are quite good, although I think I enjoy them more than she does sometimes, the humour in them appeals to me!!Your little guy might like 'The way back home', it"s about a boy and an alien (Literally). She likes 'Zog' aswell and we are currently deep in a dinosaur phase (the library has supplied some good ones for that!)
    They actually have several shelves of books and I am struggling to remember names of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I'm a teacher, too. I used to complain about the lack of funding in schools because I've had to spend so much of my own money on books over the years but, now that I have my daughter, I'm delighted because I've a huge stash of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I second the Julia Donaldson books - they are very good. My lad likes them

..Just want to add that there are currently some great bargains to be gotten on thebookpeople.co.uk including the Julia Donaldson collections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Agree with those ideas. Reading to little ones is a real pleasure and
    they love the repetition.

The "It's not my" books are suitable from a few months and are a great introduction. The tiger who came to tea is a great favourite and an introduction for the slightly longer ones. Go into any good book shop and take time to browse the book.

The reader who puts character and sounds into the reading will add to the child's enjoyment. Best gift you can give to any child.

My child was a voracious reader and friends passed on books to him. But he hated ones which were too old and smelt. So I passed his books on to other friends and now enjoy the new ones to read to my grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Great ideas here. I’ve the santa toys got already, but buying the Christmas books is one of my favourite Christmas jobs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

My little fella is 18 months and loves his books. Pip and Posy & Charlie & Lola are big hits in our house. He loved the 'That's not my....' when he was younger and still picks them up occasionally. Julia Donaldson is becoming more popular as his attention span gets longer. A squash and a squeeze and gruffalo. He also loves the hungry caterpillar, not so into other eric carle books for some reason. He as a few usborne flap/touch and feel books that he still likes. We have a few goodnight books aswell, good night tractor etc... We got a load 2nd hand and they have been brilliant. He'll often make a pile of books and drag one of us to the sofa to read to him its the only time he sits still. Its such a lovely thing to see them interested in books and stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

My suggestion would be to have a look on Amazon for the books you like and the see the relates books that are highly rated. You can order them online from the library who will deliver to your local for free.

Agree on the Julia Donaldson books. We're going on a bear hunt is also very popular.

Advertisement