Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend best study skills ?

Options
  • 28-11-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Talk to me about study skills please?

What works best for most pupils in your opinion. I know they are all different and have different learning styles but there must be some basic common study skills that will work for even the most reluctant pupils! Any advice appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Look up Barry J. Zimmerman, Self-Regulated Learning. These are a series of traits that research has shown successful learners have. The great thing about them is that they can be taught, so you can teach students how to become self-regulated learners.

Now, I'm not sure how well they would work for younger children, but I think it would be suitable for secondary level.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Children learn best in different ways, so no one study style will suit most children.The most successful study skills will be those that best match that child's learning style.If it's not possible for you to teach skills according to style, then at least go for some multi-sensory approaches, like mind maps etc.
    https://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

The concept of 'learning styles' has been well and truly debunked at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Children learn best in different ways, so no one study style will suit most children.The most successful study skills will be those that best match that child's learning style.If it's not possible for you to teach skills according to style, then at least go for some multi-sensory approaches, like mind maps etc.
    https://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/

There is no evidence to back up learning styles. They simply don't exist.
    I got torn apart by a college lecturer for even mentioning them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The concept of 'learning styles' has been well and truly debunked at this stage.
    Well someone needs to talk to the DES and NEPS and the children I have who are strongly visual or strongly auditory learners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Well someone needs to talk to the DES and NEPS and the children I have who are strongly visual or strongly auditory learners.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/mar/12/no-evidence-to-back-idea-of-learning-styles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm sure they can pull reports out of all places, but I certainly had children in my classes who could barely read who were very definitely auditory learners. Only for their mp3 players full of revision they would not have had a chance in the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think in terms of lifelong learning there's a risk it creates a self fulfilling prophecy. If you've categorised a student as being an 'x' type of learner then there's a risk that that's what you think they should be exposed to the majority of the time,
    Also students might shut themselves off to potential learning opportunities... e.g. "these handouts are no good to me, I'm and auditory learner".

That's the theory.... But hey, whatever the heck works for them is fine by me.

I think in terms of lifelong learning there's a risk it creates a self fulfilling prophecy. If you've categorised a student as being an 'x' type of learner then there's a risk that that's what you think they should be exposed to the majority of the time,
    Also students might shut themselves off to potential learning opportunities... e.g. "these handouts are no good to me, I'm and auditory learner".

That's the theory.... But hey, whatever the heck works for them is fine by me.
    Handouts can be read aloud!Some of my seniors read things out loud to themselves and learn that way. Others prefer coloured highlighters, mind maps etc.I certainly don't tell a child that they can only learn through one style and that they are bound to stick to it. Hence the need for multi-sensory approaches. Programmes like Accelread are multi-sensory, which is why it can be so successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Learning styles have been tested for the best part of twenty years and have not showed any positive effect on learning. Dual coding, interleaving, spacing, concrete examples, elaboration and retrieval practice are the tried and tested ways which have proven successful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement