Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter cap, gloves and socks

Options
  • 28-11-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for recommendations for winter cycling cap, gloves and socks for daily commute. Would like to stay warm on cold/wet days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for recommendations for winter cycling cap, gloves and socks for daily commute. Would like to stay warm on cold/wet days.

If you are familiar with using Parcel motel or DPD parcel wizard then its hard to beat planetx for value on gloves and beanie hats.
    They've always great deals on but some people don't like the shipping costs, thats why we use parcel motel.
    I use Planetx hats and i have their overshoes,socks and crab gloves and all are great for commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

socks called DeFeet Woolie Boolie's
    gloves: https://galibier.cc/product/barrier-black/
    hat: wear one of these with a cycling peaked cap: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dhb-cycling-headband/rp-prod163610

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

the Velorevolution Belgian winter cap is the business. I cant recommend it more. They are out of stock now but I sent the dude a message and he said they should be back in stock for Nov 30th so just another few days.

Gloves - Gore Bike Wear are expensive but really recommend.

Gloves - merino ones are nice but a good pair of overshoes are great to keep out the wet. BBB waterflex are good for wet, the neoprene ones think they are ultra are good for the cold, but maybe not as good for water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I have the galibier barrier gloves and they are brilliant, you sweat it them but them really do keep you warm, and I'd suffer a bit with cold hands.
    Theyre so good I'd to take them off going up shay elliot on sunday!
    I use an icebreaker thin beanie under my helmet, they arent cheap by the standards of hats (around 25-30) but I find them brilliant, and I'm a hat addict, I've hundreds!
    As for socks, I just wear heavy hiking socks like bridgedale, again not dirt cheap but really good quality and last for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

terrydel wrote: »
    ... I just wear heavy hiking socks like bridgedale, again not dirt cheap but really good quality and last for years.
    I use wool hiking socks also (fine when hidden under leg warmers/overshoes).

Get the ones with the highest wool percentage - e.g. 60-80%. They are normally around €25 but you can often get them at half price..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

terrydel wrote: »
    I have the galibier barrier gloves and they are brilliant, you sweat it them but them really do keep you warm, and I'd suffer a bit with cold hands.
    Theyre so good I'd to take them off going up shay elliot on sunday!
    I use an icebreaker thin beanie under my helmet, they arent cheap by the standards of hats (around 25-30) but I find them brilliant, and I'm a hat addict, I've hundreds!
    As for socks, I just wear heavy hiking socks like bridgedale, again not dirt cheap but really good quality and last for years.

First day in the galibier gloves and they kept my usually very very cold fingers warm enough in the Northerly wind. Impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

flatface wrote: »
    First day in the galibier gloves and they kept my usually very very cold fingers warm enough in the Northerly wind. Impressed.

they are nearly too warm at times! :eek: great complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming.

Will take a look into these recommendations.

My current lightish cap has the ear covers, which is great. I like the idea of the peak to stop the rain dripping onto the glasses.

I do suffer from cold hands and feet in general so it all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

galibier gloves will take some beating imo..i was out in -2 today and my hands never felt it.my only moan about them is if your out and it gets wet the water does get through so they are not water proof.but for cold weather they do the job very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭gooner99

Will check out those galibier gloves.

I believe you have to order direct with them?

Do they run sales at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Ordered a set of gloves from Galibier today with a skullcap

Advertisement