Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trinity College to drop ‘freshman’ term over inclusivity concerns

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

It's nice they're trying to be more open and inclusive. However, if Trinity is serious about improving itself, it needs to set about doing a lot more than changing a few documents and sending a few missives.

I totally agree, but that requires funding and when you compare the amount of money available to other world leading University's you will see that UD is the poor relation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So is it freshperson now?

Ombudsperson
    Bogeyperson
    Huperson

Only a confirmed and certified moron would be worried that the suffix "-man" would be exclusitory to females.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I feel sorry for Prince Abdulla of Qatar who will be in 1st year at trinity next september. I hope he has a nice inner lining on his family crested blazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ombudsperson
    Bogeyperson
    Huperson

Only a confirmed and certified moron would be worried that the suffix "-man" would be exclusitory to females.

freshperson is offensive to those who self identify as Unicorns and Dragons

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

baylah17 wrote: »
    I totally agree, but that requires funding and when you compare the amount of money available to other world leading University's you will see that UD is the poor relation.

So how was it able to attain a place in the top 50 less than 10 years ago?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

So how was it able to attain a place in the top 50 less than 10 years ago?

Well Chuck Feeneys money was helping for a start and its budget has not really increased in the last 10 years as austerity cuts hit education like they hit everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Ombudsperson
    Bogeyperson
    Huperson

It's fresher. Has been in Cambridge for a loooong time. (that's where the word freshman started).

But hey I guess they are certified and confirmed morons? Unless your excellent analysis is somehow wrong.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well Chuck Feeneys money was helping for a start and its budget has not really increased in the last 10 years as austerity cuts hit education like they hit everything else.

The British have austerity as well. I'm not buying that as their Universities don't appear to have slipped at all.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The British have austerity as well. I'm not buying that as their Universities don't appear to have slipped at all.

Research it. look at the amount of private sector investment in Oxbridge and compare that to what UD receive, then look at the huge legacys that are bestowed on colleges by wealth individuals.
    It appears that you want UD to spin stray into gold.
    The fact that our Alma Mater has the ranking it has at all is in and of itself an achievement.
    The criteria used by the world rankings are heavily biased towards research work which cost enormous amounts of money, where do you suggest UD get such sums?

Research it. look at the amount of private sector investment in Oxbridge and compare that to what UD receive, then look at the huge legacys that are bestowed on colleges by wealth individuals.
    It appears that you want UD to spin stray into gold.
    The fact that our Alma Mater has the ranking it has at all is in and of itself an achievement.
    The criteria used by the world rankings are heavily biased towards research work which cost enormous amounts of money, where do you suggest UD get such sums?

And yet TCD was once 49th? It's funny how the likes of RTE and various government departments were kept in the lifestyles they could afford while research was cut. And then you have various high-tech multinationals in Ireland. Why didn't TCD try to engage with them, exactly?

That you consider TCD's current standing an achievement is emblematic of the problem to be honest. It's the "Ah sure, we're a great wee country tripe" usually spun to defend mediocrity.

• Advertisement

That you consider TCD's current standing an achievement is emblematic of the problem to be honest. It's the "Ah sure, we're a great wee country tripe" usually spun to defend mediocrity.

Well whats your solution, other than you playing the hurler in the ditch?
    Introduce full fees and student loans now that you have already availed of free fee?
    Order Multi-nationals to invest in their research in UD?
    Fact is we are a very small country competing against some very large and richer countries on an uneven playing field, so yes, UD is doing well considering the financial constraints it faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Well whats your solution, other than you playing the hurler in the ditch?
    Introduce full fees and student loans now that you have already availed of free fee?
    Order Multi-nationals to invest in their research in UD?
    Fact is we are a very small country competing against some very large and richer countries on an uneven playing field, so yes, UD is doing well considering the financial constraints it faces.

I don't have one but then, I'm not being lavishly paid to run the place.

I would suggest that they try to tailor their courses better to the requirements of industry while the state should try to be more supportive of startups. They could also allow students to take a minor vocational specialty like running a business or coding.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I don't think comparisons with Harvard are valid Universities like the Karolinska Instituet in Sweden which would be and the UK's Russell group also perform much better in the global rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

demfad wrote: »
    It's fresher. Has been in Cambridge for a loooong time. (that's where the word freshman started).

But hey I guess they are certified and confirmed morons? Unless your excellent analysis is somehow wrong.....
    Nope, think I hit the nail on the head (excuse the micro aggression)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Akrasia wrote: »
    freshperson is offensive to those who self identify as Unicorns and Dragons

Don't give the lunatics any ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

demfad wrote: »
    Its just housekeeping. There is gender equality in Universities now. It takes time for the rules, language, culture to catch up. Same with any change anywhere.

The revelation here is the amount of outrage and offense taken by some over this small inevitable change. Why?

The outrage over the term Freshmen is ridiculous. This isn't about Gender Equality. Its about a bunch of idiots with way too much time on their hands looking for stuff to be outraged over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

These surveys have a huge American - Anglo bias.

Does anybody think that the US is producing the best graduates in the world? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

biko wrote: »
    I don't give a **** about gender sensitivity, although I am for dropping it as it's an American term.

Apparently it's from the 1550s: freshman (n.)
    1550s, "newcomer, novice," from fresh (adj.1) in the sense "making one's first acquaintance, inexperienced" + man (n.). Sense of "university student in first year" is attested from 1590s. As an adjective by 1805. Freshwoman is from 1620s. Related: Freshmen; freshmanic, freshmanship, freshmanhood.

Will Smith is a plagiarist.

---

Seriously though, fresher sounds better, the fact it is less formal doesn't matter like it would 40-50 years ago, and if they want to go gender neutral it's a much easier way to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

N00bz for IT, freshers for everyone else. Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The US has by far the highest number of the top universities in the world, regardless of whether you measure the top 25, the top 100, the top 200 . . .

However, the US is a big country with a huge university system. The country with the greatest proportion of its students attending a top 100 university is not the US, but the UK (followed by France, I think). If you're a 17-year old in the UK, your chances of being admitted to a top 100 university are between 5 and 8 times better than they would be if you were in the US. I can't remember where I read that, but that's a good enough cite for after hours. :)

I haven't seen corresponding figures for Ireland, but it wouldn't amaze me to find that if you took, say, the top-ranked 250 universities (of which 4 are Irish) then the proportion of Irish students in a top 250 university is not as high as in the UK, but quite possibly higher than in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I am really starting to belive that there is a fantasy land out there. Not sure what to call it.

Say a dozen delusioned people go on twitter and complain about something that is not an issue. Then it becomes a thing as others who hear it don't want to appear as racist / sexist / whatever so they accept it as an issue.. Suddenly it's now a thing.

But it's balls. Because at no point do you hear from the people who original had an issue with it. Vast majority just get upset on behalf of others and go with it.

It's fantasy. It's like a Chinese whisper. It gains traction.

Actually as a social experiment we should come up with something push it a bit and see how much traction it gets.
    Hell in these days we could actually get funding to do it.
    Doltanian wrote: »
    Black Midget Transvestites who are transage FTW WTF

Fixed that for you, I think. ;)
    These surveys have a huge American - Anglo bias.

Does anybody think that the US is producing the best graduates in the world? Really?

Yes, but they are not necessarily yanks.

The likes of MIT is full of non Americans.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yeh. China. Europe. South America.

The US does badly in PISA, is losing its technical edge to China, has universities that seem to be on the verge of continuous cultural wars, so why does it have the best universities.

These are popularity or familiarity contests.

If the US or the U.K. is producing people with enormous vision I have yet to see it, outside perhaps of technology.

Unless enormous vision means more wars in the Middle East and the clown show that is Brexit.

Boris Johnson is a clown and is yet a graduate of Oxford and Eton. Britain’s finest mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

South America? Are you taking the piss?

• Advertisement

Because smarter better educated people are going in. Because China has a higher IQ, if you take that seriously. There’s no Pisa for graduates. The Times list is a list of famous universities dominated by Anglo universities.

The US does poorly in PISA because it has lots of very bad schools. Public schools in inner cities are especially awful. Only 4 percent of eighth graders in Detroit's public school system are proficient in math, for example. But on the other hand, you have excellent schools whose graduates go on to Stanford, Harvard, and Princeton. So the average scores (which PISA reports) may be worse, but there are more pronounced extremes in the US as well, on both the low and high ends.

In the US, unlike some other countries, there's a clear concept of "elite universities," which are usually private, skilled at fund-raising, have multi-billion-dollar endowments and excellent facilities, charge tuition (my girlfriend's university charges over $51,000 a year), and attract the top academics in the world. That's why they're the best.

This tells you nothing about how bright the undergraduates are. Maybe grad students are bright though.

You stayed away from the Boris Johnson question. Oxford and Cambridge top these lists so how come Johnson is so dumb - and how come the U.K. so increasingly badly run.

Why? Johnson got a 2.1 in classics. A university is a filter so how come he didn’t, you know, fail

Maybe he's great with classics but dumb as a puddle of spilt oil on everything else? I don't think Oxfords reputation is damaged by having Johnston as a Government minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The outrage over the term Freshmen is ridiculous. This isn't about Gender Equality. Its about a bunch of idiots with way too much time on their hands looking for stuff to be outraged over.

That's not based on reason so by definition is prejudice.
    Gender equality in college starts with ticking the box where all genders are equal in college. It continues with the ethos, customs and norms catching up. i.e all the subsequent small changes.
    That's reasonable.
    Isolating one incident and implying 'PC gone mad' or whatever it is your implying speaks of prejudices you must have brought into your thinking on this.
    What are you getting offended about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

MATHS.
    When you are spakin on a Merican forum call it what you want, but around these parts it's MATHS/

Between yer math and yer home skoolin you are turning into a right yank. ;)
    If the US or the U.K. is producing people with enormous vision I have yet to see it, outside perhaps of technology.

Unless enormous vision means more wars in the Middle East and the clown show that is Brexit.

Boris Johnson is a clown and is yet a graduate of Oxford and Eton. Britain’s finest mind.

Stop using boris johnson as example of a failure or success of an educational establishment.
    Trump has a degree of some sort, so does GW Bush.
    Money buys you lots of things, including a good education and a degree of some sort.

And why do people assume a good education, and by extension a third level degree means someone is actually smart and in particular savvy in some way be it business, politics or whatever.

Some of the highest achievers in some academic fields are not fit to be let out on their own.
    And some of the most successful people in the world can come across like illiterate gobdaws.

Oh and very smart intelligent people often make not so good politicians.
    Jimmy Carter was probably one of the intelligent US presidents, especially when compared to some of the morons that followed him, but he wasn't a great president.
    Garrett Fitzgerald by all accounts was very smart, but he had major problems running a government.

The US has led the way in terms of technology and part of that is down to it's educational institutions, the money they (the government and wealthy coporations/indviduals) can throw into research and the calibre of people they can attract.
    As I said earlier MIT attracts some of the brightest from around the world.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

You stayed away from the Boris Johnson question. Oxford and Cambridge top these lists so how come Johnson is so dumb - and how come the U.K. so increasingly badly run.
    I see you've taken logic at the University of Navan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Because smarter better educated people are going in. Because China has a higher IQ, if you take that seriously. There’s no Pisa for graduates. The Times list is a list of famous universities dominated by Anglo universities.

This tells you nothing about how bright the undergraduates are. Maybe grad students are bright though.

The idea that Boris Johnson is “dumb” has just made me snort my hot chocolate down my nose .
    He looks “dumb” doesn’t he? But he’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

The US does badly in PISA, is losing its technical edge to China, has universities that seem to be on the verge of continuous cultural wars, so why does it have the best universities.

These are popularity or familiarity contests.

From my knowledge on Chinese graduates that I did my masters with. Chinese universities are overall very poor, if you've got the money you send your kids to study in Europe or the US. I would tend to agree that the US houses some of the best universities however education in the US is based on inequity. So I'd prefer European systems overall for that reason.

Advertisement