Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P8 Lite 2017 89.99 @Carphone Warehouse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Mikewalsh wrote: »
    not on the website

Eventually found it:
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/switch-save-sale-january18

Asking a possibly stupid question - already on VF PAYG with a standard sim. If I register with Tesco to then get the VF switch offer, will I have difficulty porting the original VF number and call credit over on to the new phone nano sim if I take it to a VF shop? and the paid €20 top up can then be added ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 carbon74

jeffk wrote: »
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/switch-save-sale-january18

But sure you'll have to go instore to get the deal

This looks like the original P8 lite and not the 2017 model which is much better. Also says Android 6 when the 2017 model is 7.Just a heads up!

carbon74 wrote: »
    This looks like the original P8 lite and not the 2017 model which is much better. Also says Android 6 when the 2017 model is 7.Just a heads up!

When you click on 'buy now', it says it's the 2017 model.

Basil3 wrote: »
    When you click on 'buy now', it says it's the 2017 model.

Ah that's fine then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Stiro05 wrote: »
    Now only 69.99 on carphone warehouse waebsite when you switch to vodafone

Thats an insane price .
    I'm going to get a second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

I don't see how you can get it for 70? When I say buy it's 110 and then 20 euro vodafone top up? I want this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

chipfox wrote: »
    I don't see how you can get it for 70? When I say buy it's 110 and then 20 euro vodafone top up? I want this!

I was thinking the same at first. The small print indicates the discount will only be applied instore when you have switched to Vodafone, can book phone online though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I went through all the steps, indicating the number I was bringing to Vodafone etc. and the order still ended up at €129.99. Think I'll just have to drop in to a store with a screen capture of the ad page saying €69.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

peckerhead wrote: »
    I went through all the steps, indicating the number I was bringing to Vodafone etc. and the order still ended up at €129.99. Think I'll just have to drop in to a store with a screen capture of the ad page saying €69.99.

"SWITCH TO VODAFONE PAY AS YOU GO AND SAVE UP TO €60.*"

"IN-STORE EXCLUSIVE."

Heads up; you can't port a 48 number (089). They're not among the available networks you can come from to get the Vodafone or Eir bonuses. When did carphonewarehouse start that lark?

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

Was told this is not available today when I tried to get it in Liffey Valley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Heads up; you can't port a 48 number (089). They're not among the available networks you can come from to get the Vodafone or Eir bonuses. When did carphonewarehouse start that lark?

Had to port a number recently online and 48 was not amongst the available networks to port from.
    Support told me to choose Tesco as apparently that was the network 48 were using. Do you have the option to choose Tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Call into a Eir store and get a free sim. That's what I did never used the sim bar the 5 minutes I was in CPW.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Had to port a number recently online and 48 was not amongst the available networks to port from.
    Support told me to choose Tesco as apparently that was the network 48 were using. Do you have the option to choose Tesco?
    Tesco was indeed there.

Jaysus, wouldn't you think those fecking gob****es in the store would have sussed this, instead of sending me off phoneless and pissed off? :mad:

Tesco was indeed there.

Jaysus, wouldn't you think those fecking gob****es in the store would have sussed this, instead of sending me off phoneless and pissed off? :mad:

A deal feels like more of a deal when you have to work for it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone had issues with ghosting on the status bar? Got one for the Mrs for Xmas and she has noticed this today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone had issues with ghosting on the status bar? Got one for the Mrs for Xmas and she has noticed this today.

What do you mean by ghosting

kala85 wrote: »
    What do you mean by ghosting

It's like an overlay of different status text, we were in a no service area today and it is still there even after a restart. Writing over writing id you like.

dahat wrote: »

No ghosting issues here. Maybe bring it back for a replacement?

• Advertisement

carbon74 wrote: »
    No ghosting issues here. Maybe bring it back for a replacement?

Yeah, thats exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow. Hopefully there isn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Folks anyone who is using this on Eir can you confirm the message center number?
    I seem to have a few failed messages the last few days but can receive them OK.
    I'm thinking I may not have the correct settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Just picked up one for 70 euros in the Greystones branch. Still had a few handsets left in stock. Was transferring over from Three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Stiro05

I got my phone today from Longford. Very impressed with the phone and for the money there's nothing like it. I bought a Tesco Sim and transferred across. They never called the number and the phone is unlocked (red sticker on box) and working away sound on my Tesco bill pay Sim. I had to buy the e10 topup though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Absolute bargain at €69.99 and unlocking is only €4 online if yours is network locked like mine. Cheap phones are getting a lot better the last year or so. Buying a gel case for mine though, it's the slippiest phone I ever came across.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Absolute bargain at €69.99 and unlocking is only €4 online if yours is network locked like mine. Cheap phones are getting a lot better the last year or so. Buying a gel case for mine though, it's the slippiest phone I ever came across.
    :D that is so true! I put mine on a chest of drawers in my bedroom this morning, sat on my bed to put my socks on an watched it slide off it onto the carpet. Need to head to amazon to get a case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Be careful with scratches on the back, you don't want a scratch over the Camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

dennispenn wrote: »
    :D that is so true! I put mine on a chest of drawers in my bedroom this morning, sat on my bed to put my socks on an watched it slide off it onto the carpet. Need to head to amazon to get a case!

+1 Back of mine is cracked already, slid right off my office desk with vibration from typing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Got me and the wife one for Christmas. Battery life incredible. Ease of use unbelievable. Very fast processed. It really is an amazing bargain. I came from an iPhone 5s. I wouldn't go back

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Basil3 wrote: »
    Google says you might be using a school associated account that has Google apps disabled? Have you tried a different Google account in the play store?

Cheers for that Basil3. My account was actually linked to a college email so just made a new Google account and it worked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭geriatric

+1 Back of mine is cracked already, slid right off my office desk with vibration from typing.

Any suggestions for a good site to get phone covers for this phone please?

• Advertisement

geriatric wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a good site to get phone covers for this phone please?

I just bought, literally 2 mins ago, a screen protector and wallet case from Wish. €10:00 delivered

https://www.wish.com/

I got ones from French crowd on ebay, 2 euro and arrived in 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Does anyone know if you can use an ID mobile sim card to port over to Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Frank_1969 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can use an ID mobile sim card to port over to Vodafone?
    Yeah. I did. Had a rolling 30 day Contract

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

brightkane wrote: »
    Yeah. I did. Had a rolling 30 day Contract

Great stuff.Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I bought the j3 2017 model but can you point me in the direction of how to unlock it for cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

Picked one up in CPW Clondalkin today. €69.99 + €10 Top-Up.

Great bargain. Cannot for the life of me get the Apps onto the SD card or get it to use the SD card as internal storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just for clarification, is the deal in CPW for €69.99, for the latest (2017) model or the original P8 Lite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Stiro05

P8 lite 2017 model

Gone back up to 89.99 now. Might chance my arm this morning and ask for it at 69.99. buying a second one for the gf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Picky owner

keizer wrote:
    Great bargain. Cannot for the life of me get the Apps onto the SD card or get it to use the SD card as internal storage.

I read that it is not possible to do this on this phone, bit of a downside, went ahead and bought one anyway really is a top class phone for the price. By the way any good recommendations for a cover, what type is the best?

keizer wrote: »
    Picked one up in CPW Clondalkin today. €69.99 + €10 Top-Up.

Unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I read that it is not possible to do this on this phone, bit of a downside, went ahead and bought one anyway really is a top class phone for the price. By the way any good recommendations for a cover, what type is the best?

I haven't got this phone. But with the latest versions of Android you can't move apps to the SD card. You either format the SD card as

1) external storage, music, media, photos only no apps or

2)you format it as internal storage which you can use it for apps. But you can't take out the SD card and read it on another device like a PC for transferring photos.

I wouldn't do it unless you need a massive amount of apps. I felt they run slower from the SD card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Bought one from Blanch CPW in Currys/PCWorld yesterday. Wouldn't accept a 48 card (and advised me they wouldn't accept any sim that hadn't been active for at least three months ). The assistant showed me a list of ports that had been attempted but all failed within three hours of the port process being initiated in the shop, and this had raised a flag with them regarding future ports, hence the rejection of my efforts to go and get a Three sim instead etc. In the end I ported from my own Tesco sim just to get the phone. I am stuck with vodafone for at least 6 months at an extra fiver a month, but the phone was for my daughter so I took the hit! I then unlocked the phone on dc unlocker and installed my daughters old tesco sim into the phone and everything worked a charm.
    So.... a convoluted process for me but the phone was worth it - my other daughter bought a p8 lite from CPW in Aug for €185! This cost me €89.99 +€20 credit which I am now using on my new vodafone account. They would not entertain the 69.99 price at all either.
    Thanks BA!

just be careful with your data, TM gave you 10Gb whereas VF only gives 1Gb a month which can go very quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

Is the Y6 a better buy at 59.99 ? It's the 2017 model with 2gb ram

TheDriver wrote: »
    just be careful with your data, TM gave you 10Gb whereas VF only gives 1Gb a month which can go very quickly

An unlock for this phone is €4. Think most people are unlocking and using on other networks. If you want a generous data allowance on Vodafone you need to be on Vodafone x. Check out my thread in BA about it. It's for students but anyone can sign up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does anyone find it stuttering/lagging on certain apps for example the guardian app. I think what’s causing it is the ads that show up through the page. It seems to make the phone stutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TheDriver wrote: »

Very quickly? Some people go through that in a day easily enough!

I switched to VF and even with the 6GB option, and having WiFi on always and availing of it, and trying not to use my phone too much when without - I'm already 2 out of 6GB in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

Got one for 69.99 plus 10 top up by porting over an old Eir sim yesterday in Tullamore before the price on website went back up. Used the DC unlocker software as per one of the previous posts . Had been eyeing it for a while but the low price caused me to pull the trigger. I am happy out, cheers guys :)

Advertisement