Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P8 Lite 2017 89.99 @Carphone Warehouse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

FML. I was visiting my sister in Dublin until yesterday and said shur I'll hang on 'til I get home, just in case I need to return it to the store or something. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone else notice that WhatsApp and Viber messages don't show up until you open the app?
    It's happened to me a lot and wondering does anyone know what I need to do to get it working correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that WhatsApp and Viber messages don't show up until you open the app?
    It's happened to me a lot and wondering does anyone know what I need to do to get it working correctly.

Do you have notifications for those apps disabled?

I read that it is not possible to do this on this phone, bit of a downside, went ahead and bought one anyway really is a top class phone for the price. By the way any good recommendations for a cover, what type is the best?

Ordered a silicone cover on ebay, it was arounf €3 I think

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Unlocked?

No it was locked. I used movical to unlock it after an unsuccessful attempt with DC Unlocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

keizer wrote: »
    No it was locked. I used movical to unlock it after an unsuccessful attempt with DC Unlocker.

Used DC unlocker today on my own and my girlfriends, both worked straight away once I managed to get the software to detect the phones.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

If you're not a patient person don't read this post ðŸ˜

I'm with Vodafone and out of contract next week,I'm clueless about phones and use mine mainly for boards,fb,whatsapp,Viber but I do get caught for storage.

Would this phone be suitable,I'd prefer to buy a phone rather than lock into another 2 year contract.If I'm already with Vodafone can I just buy it rather than getting another sim/porting/unlocking etc because I know that will be a problem for me.

I have followed the thread but as a technophobe can anyone suggest this or would something else be easier to change to.tia.

Colser wrote: »
    If you're not a patient person don't read this post ðŸ˜

I'm with Vodafone and out of contract next week,I'm clueless about phones and use mine mainly for boards,fb,whatsapp,Viber but I do get caught for storage.

Would this phone be suitable,I'd prefer to buy a phone rather than lock into another 2 year contract.If I'm already with Vodafone can I just buy it rather than getting another sim/porting/unlocking etc because I know that will be a problem for me.

I have followed the thread but as a technophobe can anyone suggest this or would something else be easier to change to.tia.

What phone have you at the moment? You'll need a sim from another network. Eir post out free sims, you can get one on their website. Google will bring you straight there.

What phone have you at the moment? You'll need a sim from another network. Eir post out free sims, you can get one on their website. Google will bring you straight there.

HTC..

keizer wrote: »
    Do you have notifications for those apps disabled?

Double checked there and notifications are enabled.

• Advertisement

Colser wrote: »
    HTC..

What htc?

@colser
    If you are happy with the phone you are using would you not just move to another supplier as payg when your contract is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Do you have power saver on? That will restrict background data while the screen is off.

What htc?

One M8s

@colser
    If you are happy with the phone you are using would you not just move to another supplier as payg when your contract is up.

I could do..the phone is fine apart from the storage ,I'm in chrome for boards,fb etc because I can't download anymore apps ,I can't delete most of the ones on it as they're attached to the actual phone but I never use them..that's my understanding of it as I went into Vodafone recently to enquire.

This phone only has 16gb storage and I'm guessing you have the 16gb version of M8s so will encounter similar issues.
    Maybe add a SD card to your current phone.

Could you root the phone to remove the bloatware? I know you mentioned you are a bit of a technophobe but a friend might sort you out or one of the phone repair shops.

This phone only has 16gb storage and I'm guessing you have the 16gb version of M8s so will encounter similar issues.
    Maybe add a SD card to your current phone.

Thank you..I will look into that.

Just a FYI for anyone porting into Vodafone that is already on Vodafone or knows someone who is. You can the register the number for MyVodafone. This will give you €10 credit (it didn't apply automatically on mine but chat had it sorted in seconds) Then you can send this as an iou to another Vodafone number.

Just text "SEND" followed by your friend's number and the amount to 50223. So texting "Send 0871234567 10" will send your friend €10 credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

Is the offer for 69 still going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

chipfox wrote: »
    Is the offer for 69 still going?

No, it's up to €89.99 with a switch to VF

• Advertisement

IS the DC Unlocker software free? I just downloaded it and can't find the P8 Lite setting but it says P8 series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

Bought it in Three with Tesco sim Port. using pixel 2 launcher and live wallpapers from pixel. Loving it. No lag at all using this launcher

https://ibb.co/mnFgMb
    https://ibb.co/bsLFgb

chipfox wrote: »
    IS the DC Unlocker software free? I just downloaded it and can't find the P8 Lite setting but it says P8 series?

It's €4/4 credits to unlock using DC.

rebelbmx wrote: »
    Took me awhile to get it too work but do theses steps in this order.

On your phone dial pad code *#*#2846579#*#*, select "Project Menu", "Background settings", "USB ports settings", "Manufacture mode

Then connect the phone to PC by USB

Then download and install this http://consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/

Connect your mobile to HiSuite once installed

Check 'Ports' in device manager and see if 'Android Adapter PCUI' and 'DBAdapter Reserved Interface' are there.

Launch DC-unlocker software

Select Huawei phones under manufacturer

Select Auto detect under model and click search

Your phone should be detected. Note: mine didn't show the IMEI number when detected, just the serial number.

Open Server tab, enter your username and password that you received after credits purchase. Click "Check login''

Open Unlocking tab, click “Unlock” button, Wait for device to be unlocked, mine took about 30 secs to unlock

After you see that phone was successfully unlocked, restart it to complete procedure. Now you can use it with any SIM card. You can restore phone now to it's previous mode
    Bump.

I followed this guide and it worked fine bar near the end of the set up it reset to manufacture mode instead of Huawei mode.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm very close to heading to CPW now.

My only concern is that I only have 1 sim card. Do I have to port to Vodafone in front of them? Or how does that work. I don't want to lose my Eir offer or be stuck in a 6 month vodafone contract like another user here was saying

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Picky owner

Bought it in Three with Tesco sim Port. using pixel 2 launcher and live wallpapers from pixel. Loving it. No lag at all using this launcher

How do you get pixel launcher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

How do you get pixel launcher?

From xda developers site. A Google search will link you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

anything else come close to this for circa 100€?
    app storage is a worry for me.
    thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

I don't think so John but that is just my opinion . It really great price for that spec. Also be aware the inability to transfer apps to SD card is not limited to Huawei but is a feature of Android Marshmallow and up on all devices. So the best advice I can give you is to pay a little more and get a phone with extra internal storage if you are really worried. I am open to correction though. Shout out to Sir Dosser for the how to transfer credit guide. Cheers dude

• Advertisement

sapphade wrote: »
    I don't think so John but that is just my opinion . It really great price for that spec. Also be aware the inability to transfer apps to SD card is not limited to Huawei but is a feature of Android Marshmallow and up on all devices. So the best advice I can give you is to pay a little more and get a phone with extra internal storage if you are really worried. I am open to correction though. Shout out to Sir Dosser for the how to transfer credit guide. Cheers dude

which one so would you go for?
    thanks
    John

Buying a phone generally comes down to user preference and budget. I find the screen on the P8 lite 2017 great and the fingerprint very responsive and handy myself and is a steal at that price. I have only done limited research but apparently samsung J3 2017 can transfer apps. I don't have one so can't test but maybe someone who reads this will know if it can be done . I use phonearena.com to do comparisons on phones when i am unsure. samsung are a more established brand so will charge a little more than the huawei but it is better to be happy with what your getting if that suits you better. It is 170 up on the phone websites so there is quite the price difference. Sim-unlock with provide unlocking code for 18 euro. A single or dual sim can be purchased from shops in city centre with receipt unlocked for 190. Adverts has them up. Be aware that not all apps can be transferred . Hope that helps

https://howto-android.com/move-apps-to-sd-card-on-samsung-galaxy-j3-2017/
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00047585
    https://sim-unlock.net/simlock/Samsung/Galaxy_J3_(2017)/

Also CPW were doing sony XA1 for 180 if you switched. If that is still the case the internal storage is supposed to be 32GB. Basic spec as per argos website :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7361601/Trail/searchtext%3EXA1.htm

There's a guide on XDA about how to make the P8 lite use the SD card as adoptable storage. Looks easy enough.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/p8lite/help/how-to-extend-storage-using-sd-card-t3614396

I know it's not really a BA type of question but has anyone flashed a custom rom on this yet? Tempted to but after seeing lots of posts of people soft bricking their phones on xda I think I'll wait until one is recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

What??? This is a thread about a phone for less than e100 & unlocked for a fiver. Why someone would buy one for double price for the sake of easy app to SD? That's a very expensive method of doing it! Huawei is as good as any other brands today. ;-) Samsung can sell anything because people think it's SAMSUNG. They're wrong.
    (Sorry, no offence but not getting the point!)

padyjoe wrote: »
    What??? This is a thread about a phone for less than e100 & unlocked for a fiver. Why someone would buy one for double price for the sake of easy app to SD? That's a very expensive method of doing it! Huawei is as good as any other brands today. ;-) Samsung can sell anything because people think it's SAMSUNG. They're wrong.
    (Sorry, no offence but not getting the point!)

Agreed . As i said I like the phone and agree its an absolute steal at that price . Id recommend it and agree about the comment on samsung being overpriced as are the cost of their parts. But they do work as advertised. was just answering a question and laying out options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Basil3 wrote: »
    There's a guide on XDA about how to make the P8 lite use the SD card as adoptable storage. Looks easy enough.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/p8lite/help/how-to-extend-storage-using-sd-card-t3614396

I've done this and it works fine with a couple of caveats
    • the phone will no longer report the correct amount of storage remaining
    • if there's a software update, it breaks this mod and you'll have to do it again (I also had to do a factory reset to get it working again properly).

The lack of onboard storage is the main disadvantage of this phone - 16GB just isn't enough any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

For most people who have sd for photos and not big app users, 16gb is sufficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

padyjoe wrote:
    What??? This is a thread about a phone for less than e100 & unlocked for a fiver. Why someone would buy one for double price for the sake of easy app to SD? That's a very expensive method of doing it! Huawei is as good as any other brands today. ;-) Samsung can sell anything because people think it's SAMSUNG. They're wrong. (Sorry, no offence but not getting the point!)

Yeah, Samsung are considered to be hot stuff, well at least their batteries are.😀

• Advertisement

still @ 89?€ might need one for myself as my trusty lenovo k3 note just took a bang!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    still @ 89?€ might need one for myself as my trusty lenovo k3 note just took a bang!

Still on.

https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/switch-save-sale-january18

Phone only 2 weeks old and the screen is scratched already. :(

They must have skimpt on the glass to keep costs down. I don't even keep in in the same pocket as my keys so I've no idea what scratched it. Would probably be wasting my time bringing it back to get replaced, swapped as it's on the outside they will just say it was caused my me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Phone only 2 weeks old and the screen is scratched already. :(

They must have skimpt on the glass to keep costs down. I don't even keep in in the same pocket as my keys so I've no idea what scratched it. Would probably be wasting my time bringing it back to get replaced, swapped as it's on the outside they will just say it was caused my me.

there is a screen protector on mine, was on there when I got it.

dennispenn wrote: »
    there is a screen protector on mine, was on there when I got it.

I thought that was only a temporary piece of plastic. Regretting removing it now. Saying that I never needed a screen protector on any phone before and the glass always stood up to normal use.

I thought that was only a temporary piece of plastic. Regretting removing it now. Saying that I never needed a screen protector on any phone before and the glass always stood up to normal use.

AFAIK it uses GG3, which is as scratch resistant as any glass out there. From GG3 > GG4 > GG5 they have only improved shatter resistance, the scratch resistance is still the same.

If you look at forums for any phone, you always get people saying "I've stratched my new S8/iPhone/whatver, I've never scratched a phone before. It must be bad glass".

It's just bad luck.

Basil3 wrote: »
    AFAIK it uses GG3, which is as scratch resistant as any glass out there. From GG3 > GG4 > GG5 they have only improved shatter resistance, the scratch resistance is still the same.

If you look at forums for any phone, you always get people saying "I've stratched my new S8/iPhone/whatver, I've never scratched a phone before. It must be bad glass".

It's just bad luck.
    Maybe, I can live with one 1 scratch but I just hope it's not ruined in a few months time.

eBay do tempered glass and cases for the phone if its any use to you. below is a link to one example but there are many sellers . I have ordered from him before and item was as described. but I am not sure he is based in dublin as advertised . does take the 6-8 days delivery and shouldn't if he were using an post .

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2x-Tempered-Glass-Film-Screen-Protector-For-Huawei-P8-Lite-2017/282510667185?hash=item41c6f2adb1:g:cW4AAOSw0hlZMBCJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

What network is best to get credit for to port over to Vodafone to get discount for this phone? Do Tesco give some card without buying credit or what's minimum credit you have to buy for all networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭A1404

Price went up to €139 now

• Advertisement
Advertisement