Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P8 Lite 2017 89.99 @Carphone Warehouse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Let's say you take advantage of the Vodafone offer and you port your number and get the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 for 119.99 - is there anything to stop you from unlocking the phone in say one months time and porting your number to some other provider?
    "asking for a friend" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Let's say you take advantage of the Vodafone offer and you port your number and get the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 for 119.99 - is there anything to stop you from unlocking the phone in say one months time and porting your number to some other provider?
    "asking for a friend" ;)

That's what I plan on doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

"asking for a friend" ;)

Order a free sim from another provider and port that one, not the actual number you use.
    It's 4 quid to unlock with DC Unlocker which is a 5 minute process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Not meaning to turn this thread into an advert but I've got a dual sim, network unlocked huawei p8 lite (ale-l21) which i bought and barely used that I'm considering selling. I follow the bargain alerts and chinese phone threads and I'm steady changing phones for no logical reason.

If anyone is interested in buying it they they can pm me for price or more info

yabadabado wrote: »
    Order a free sim from another provider and port that one, not the actual number you use.
    It's 4 quid to unlock with DC Unlocker which is a 5 minute process.

Any particular reason why you don't use your "real" number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭laros

Because your own real number will be ported over to Vodafone.... I would rather stay with a provider who gives better deals

Because you are ported to Vodafone and if you don't want to be with them you have to go porting again.
    If you have an old sim or get a free one its less hassle.
    Of course plenty will probably stay with Vodafone especially with their X deal.

Because you are ported to Vodafone and if you don't want to be with them you have to go porting again.
    If you have an old sim or get a free one its less hassle.
    Of course plenty will probably stay with Vodafone especially with their X deal.

Thanks, just so I am clear, there is nothing really stopping you from porting again away from Vodafone if you want to?

Thanks, just so I am clear, there is nothing really stopping you from porting again away from Vodafone if you want to?

Not that I'm aware of.

Hi...
    Trying to unlock this with DC Unlocker and it can't find the phone even though the phone is showing up in "My Computer" and in HI Suite ... can anybody suggest a solution... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

laros wrote: »
    Hi...
    Trying to unlock this with DC Unlocker and it can't find the phone even though the phone is showing up in "My Computer" and in HI Suite ... can anybody suggest a solution... ?

maybe try manually adding the drivers
    https://www.dc-unlocker.com/huawei-android-hisilicon-unlock-guide

maybe try manually adding the drivers

Nope ....just tried that .... still no luck :-( .... Have wasted nearly 2 hours with DC Unlocker.... Has anybody ever tried to unlock a phone with Movical... ?

https://www.movical.net/ie-en/unlock/huawei/pra-lx1-p8-lite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Hi...

Run dc unlocker as administrator

Run dc unlocker as administrator

Nope ... didn't seem to make a difference.I'm trying to unlock a vodafone phone to accept a 48 sim... would it make any difference as to what sim should be in the phone when trying to detect it in DC unlocker..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nope ... didn't seem to make a difference.I'm trying to unlock a vodafone phone to accept a 48 sim... would it make any difference as to what sim should be in the phone when trying to detect it in DC unlocker..?

Nope. It won't matter what sim is in it or if you have one in it at all. Did you download the adb drivers they recommend on their website?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/huawei-p8-lite-2017-pay-as-you-go-black

anyone confirmed unlocking this from vodafone?
    also would a free 48months sim work?
    thanks
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

seanin4711 wrote: »

thanks
    John
    Can be unlocked for a few euro online. Have a search of the thread for DC unlocker.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

seanin4711 wrote: »

thanks
    John

I unlocked mine from Vodafone. DC Unlocker did the job for 4 quid.
    Any sim will work I have tried 48,Eir and 3 all work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

Does this phone have an infrared booster?
    I've googled and it seems not but I saw this then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

loopymum wrote: »

That specifically mentions it being a wifi controller for your 'Android TV'.
    A flagship application to transform your Huawei P8 Lite into a remote control is to use the ‘Android TV Remote Control’ application. This option is available only on a limited number of televisions however, because you need Android TV on your television. If you do not have Android TV installed on your TV, we recommend read the other chapters of this article.

Normally not installed on your Huawei P8 Lite, you should be able to easily get Android TV Remote Control on the Play Store by typing that name into the search bar. Once installed, just open this application and check that the Android TV and your Huawei P8 Lite are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Open the application on your Huawei P8 Lite and you should see ‘Android TV’ appear. To associate your phone and your TV, simply enter the code that appears on the TV. Here you have a remote control for your Android TV via your Huawei P8 Lite!

loopymum wrote: »

Anyone know how to unlock it without a laptop or a computer? Are the codes on ebay legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Amouar

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Anyone know how to unlock it without a laptop or a computer? Are the codes on ebay legit?
    If you're in Dublin, go to the mobiles shops on Parnel street and they'll unlock it for 15 euros.

Amouar wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, go to the mobiles shops on Parnel street and they'll unlock it for 15 euros.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The phone is back down to 99.99 if you switch your number to Vodafone .

A bargain at that price I've been using it since December and at the price I doubt you will get better in BnM.

One or two apps can be a bit laggy on it from time to time but nothing major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If you just pay the 140 for it can you use any sim in it or do you still have to get it unlocked?

Edit: never mind. I see it's on carphonewarehouse for 140 and available for eir, vodafone and three so I presume it's unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

DeepBlue wrote: »
    If you just pay the 140 for it can you use any sim in it or do you still have to get it unlocked?

Edit: never mind. I see it's on carphonewarehouse for 140 and available for eir, vodafone and three so I presume it's unlocked.

It will be locked to the network you choose.

DeepBlue wrote: »

Get an old/free sim and use that to join Vodafone then unlock the phone for €4 on DC Unlocker. Its fairly straightforward process.

dan786 wrote: »
    It will be locked to the network you choose.

Yes,Carphone Warehouse Ireland phones are always locked, Carphone Warehouse UK are unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Unlock is cheap and deadsimple with dcunlocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Get an old/free sim and use that to join Vodafone then unlock the phone for €4 on DC Unlocker. Its fairly straightforward process.

Who does free sims any more ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Who does free sims any more ?

You can get Lyca mobile sims for free. I have seen them on a stand in many stores.

dan786 wrote: »
    You can get Lyca mobile sims for free. I have seen them on a stand in many stores.

Thought you had to top them up to activate them ?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thought you had to top them up to activate them ?

Eir post out free SIMs and they work straight off, without needing a top-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Stiro05

Zardoz wrote:
    Yes,Carphone Warehouse Ireland phones are always locked, Carphone Warehouse UK are unlocked.

Well not always, I got my p8 at Xmas when they were €69.99 and was unlocked

Stiro05 wrote: »
    Well not always, I got my p8 at Xmas when they were €69.99 and was unlocked

Not always so ,but most of the time the Irish phones are locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Tesco are selling off a half decent case for €7.50, reduced from €15. Whether it was ever worth €15 is debatable but not bad for €7.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

My p8 lite bent round my monster thighs in my pocket (front) while lifting a bath. Not a tough phone if it helps anyone.

Quackster wrote: »
    Eir post out free SIMs and they work straight off, without needing a top-up.

Not according to the guy in the eir Shop, they do not work till you top them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Not according to the guy in the eir Shop, they do not work till you top them up.

I recently got an Eir sim to port over to Vodafone,to buy the P8 Lite for €99.99.
    The system would not allow the number to be ported as it had never been topped up.
    I had to leave the Vodafone shop and go and top up the Eir sim with €5..Made a quick call to a Three number.
    Called back to the Vodafone shop and was able to get number ported no bother.
    So yes,you do need to top up before port over is allowed.

• Advertisement

Frank_1969 wrote: »
    I recently got an Eir sim to port over to Vodafone,to buy the P8 Lite for €99.99.
    The system would not allow the number to be ported as it had never been topped up.
    I had to leave the Vodafone shop and go and top up the Eir sim with €5..Made a quick call to a Three number.

With Vodafone, maybe. With the original deal at Carphone Warehouse, I used a free Eir SIM to port over without ever topping up.

Basil3 wrote: »
    With Vodafone, maybe. With the original deal at Carphone Warehouse, I used a free Eir SIM to port over without ever topping up.

Maybe with so many people using the free Eir sim card to port over, they have put a block on them until they are topped up!!

I ordered a free Eir SIM online a few weeks ago to buy a mobile in a Vodafone store using the recent Dunnes voucher.

As soon as I popped the SIM into the phone, it was able to receive calls on it so the agent in the Vodafone store was able to call it to confirm I was eligible for the offer.

A few hours after buying the phone, the Eir number successfully ported over to Vodafone even though it had never been topped up.

That doesn't seem to make sense as porting takes a few hours to process and they hardly made you wait around until the port succeeded before giving you the phone?

Their system wouldn't know in advance whether a port is going to succeed or not until it actually succeeds or they get a message that they port couldn't be completed. The only thing they can do is ring your number in your presence and you show them your phone ringing to prove it's your number.

Quackster wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to make sense as porting takes a few hours to process and they hardly made you wait around until the port succeeded before giving you the phone?

Their system wouldn't know in advance whether a port is going to succeed or not until it actually succeeds or they get a message that they port couldn't be completed. The only thing they can do is ring your number in your presence and you show them your phone ringing to prove it's your number.

Lady in Vodafone shop attempted 3 times in my presence and each time port was rejected.
    She could see on the system thar there was no credit on the Eir sim.
    I told her it was an old sim and hadn't been topped up for a few months.
    So, eventually I was left with no choice but to top it up with a fiver,after which the port was accepted and was transferred the following day (Sunday) at 10am.
    That's the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth,so help me God :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Lady in Vodafone shop attempted 3 times in my presence and each time port was rejected.
    She could see on the system thar there was no credit on the Eir sim.
    I told her it was an old sim and hadn't been topped up for a few months.
    So, eventually I was left with no choice but to top it up with a fiver,after which the port was accepted and was transferred the following day (Sunday) at 10am.
    That's the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth,so help me God :-)

its a cracking phone and well worth the effort, the 3gb of ram makes quite a surprising difference over 2gb

A bargain at the price. Easy to unlock and can add a SD card to use as internal memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

where can I get an sd card fro this phone? one at a reasonable cost. thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Memoryc.ie or mymemory.co.uk
    Cheap and reliable sites I have bought from regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A bargain at the price. Easy to unlock and can add a SD card to use as internal memory.

just to note - you can't use SD as direct internal memory - i.e. you can't store apps on the SD. I got rid of this phone as 16GB wasn't enough space for apps (you only have about 9GB in reality as 7GB is used for Android). I kept running out of space.

There is a feature (Adoptable Storage) that allows you to merge the SD with the internal storage; it's difficult to do on this phone as Huawei have it disabled in the setting and you have to enable it using a PC. Even if you do enable it, apps can only be moved to the SD card if the app developer has allowed it, which most don't.

If you don't use a lot of apps, this isn't a problem. But particularly if you like to install a lot of games, you will find this restrictive.

Advertisement