Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud

Options
  • 28-11-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi, Last week someone signed up for Eircom services and used my account number for their Direct Debit. This is going through your Fraud department. Your Customer Services asked for my details for the Fraud department to get in touch, but never gave me anyway of contacting them for an update. Since I don't have any Eircom services or accounts, it isn't easy to get through by phone. How do I keep check on this and find out what is going on with this matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    Hi, Last week someone signed up for Eircom services and used my account number for their Direct Debit. This is going through your Fraud department. Your Customer Services asked for my details for the Fraud department to get in touch, but never gave me anyway of contacting them for an update. Since I don't have any Eircom services or accounts, it isn't easy to get through by phone. How do I keep check on this and find out what is going on with this matter?
    Hi MFlack2012, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I'm afraid we have no contact number for them directly, they will contact you when they have the issue investigated. The customer care team on 1901 will be able to offer you any updates on this too. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Hi MFlack2012, 

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I'm afraid we have no contact number for them directly, they will contact you when they have the issue investigated. The customer care team on 1901 will be able to offer you any updates on this too. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your reply. If I call on 1901 they tell me I need an Eircom account number to help, so how do I get an update without one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your reply. If I call on 1901 they tell me I need an Eircom account number to help, so how do I get an update without one?
    You make an official complaint https://www.eir.ie/complaints/ then follow up with comreg if you are still getting the run around after 10 days. In my experience and I've had to use the process a few times you get daily calls from Eir once you have escalated the complaint to comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi MFlack2012, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey,

Hi,

Tracey isn't here today so I thought I'd jump in. If you press # when asked to enter your phone number, you'll be able to get through to someone about this.

- Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi MFlack2012, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey,

Hi,

Tracey isn't here today so I thought I'd jump in. If you press # when asked to enter your phone number, you'll be able to get through to someone about this.

- Adam
    Two of my complaints that were helped out by comreg were that Eir didn't provide a means of contact for sorting out a particular issue and getting through to an operator just lead me around in circles. 

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi MFlack2012, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Hi Tracey,

Hi,

- Adam
    Two of my complaints that were helped out by comreg were that Eir didn't provide a means of contact for sorting out a particular issue and getting through to an operator just lead me around in circles. 
    Thanks for that. I may have to get on to comreg. I have no idea of finding out who this was, using my account details. Surely you would have to sign a direct debit form. Have tried three times with Eir but without an account Number, I get the run around.

Thanks for that. I may have to get on to comreg. I have no idea of finding out who this was, using my account details. Surely you would have to sign a direct debit form. Have tried three times with Eir but without an account Number, I get the run around.
    tbh I think all you can expect is a call to say that its been sorted. I suspect data protection will be quoted if you ask for more.

Hi Adam,

I have submitted my complaint to ComReg about this matter, who advised me to submit a complaint to Eir, as the first point of call. I submitted this a number of days ago and received an email from Madhuna K requesting m bank details and insisting on an original hard copy bank statement. What Eir need this for, I have no idea. I have refused to provide my bank details and have advised the rep that as I only do online banking, I cannot provide a hard copy statement but am happy to send an e-statement with my personal details blocked out. I was also asked to contact eir chat with further queries. I did so today and spoke to Elakkiya. She has refused to give any update on the case unless I submit a hard copy bank statement with my bank details showing. Insisting on my bank number, sort code Iban, Bic etc. I have been advised they won't help unless this is submitted and was also refused a complaint reference number.

ComReg have advised that Eir must give a complaint reference number and an update on the Fraud case. Can you advise on my next point of call? Can you give me an update or claim reference number?

Hi Adam,

I have submitted my complaint to ComReg about this matter, who advised me to submit a complaint to Eir, as the first point of call. I submitted this a number of days ago and received an email from Madhuna K requesting m bank details and insisting on an original hard copy bank statement. What Eir need this for, I have no idea. I have refused to provide my bank details and have advised the rep that as I only do online banking, I cannot provide a hard copy statement but am happy to send an e-statement with my personal details blocked out. I was also asked to contact eir chat with further queries. I did so today and spoke to Elakkiya. She has refused to give any update on the case unless I submit a hard copy bank statement with my bank details showing. Insisting on my bank number, sort code Iban, Bic etc. I have been advised they won't help unless this is submitted and was also refused a complaint reference number.

ComReg have advised that Eir must give a complaint reference number and an update on the Fraud case. Can you advise on my next point of call? Can you give me an update or claim reference number?
    Just tell comreg that Eir have refused to give you a complaint reference number.

I'm surprised you'd even send them any of your bank details? Can't you just get your money back through your bank and then get them to block any dd's from Eir?

Hi Adam,

Just tell comreg that Eir have refused to give you a complaint reference number.

I'm surprised you'd even send them any of your bank details? Can't you just get your money back through your bank and then get them to block any dd's from Eir?
    I will be doing so, but just want to give them the chance to sort it out. I don't have the time for all the back and forth.

I won't! I point blank refused. I have agreed to send them on the bank statement with everything bar the Eir Debit and refund blanked out, but of course, this isn't good enough. Yes I got a refund through my bank the day after and a refund of all charges incurred, but I am after information on how this happened, why it was allowed to happen and assurances that it won't happen again. I have removed all DD's from my online banking (as advised by very helpful AIB staff) but this doesn't block any further DD's and attempts. I also can't block it altogether as I am looking into a home of m own and may require services in the near future and don't want that hassle.

• Advertisement

My complaint would be that there having been a Fraud committed using your personal data and bank details that you want a written acknowledgement that all your personal data has been removed from Eir's systems and that there will be no repercussions if you in future want an account with Eir.

I never bother about complaint reference numbers but the above complaint would justify asking for one for future reference.

You could also make an official data request https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing-Your-Personal-Information/r/14.htm to see what info Eir have on you (OK so its the fraudulently used data but its still in your name) and then report them for holding information on someone who isn't a customer if they don't delete it.

My complaint would be that there having been a Fraud committed using your personal data and bank details that you want a written acknowledgement that all your personal data has been removed from Eir's systems and that there will be no repercussions if you in future want an account with Eir.

I never bother about complaint reference numbers but the above complaint would justify asking for one for future reference.

You could also make an official data request https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing-Your-Personal-Information/r/14.htm to see what info Eir have on you (OK so its the fraudulently used data but its still in your name) and then report them for holding information on someone who isn't a customer if they don't delete it.
    Exactly. That's what I want to know. I also want to know how and why it happened. 

Thanks for the info, I will definitely be following up on that. first time this has ever happened, so it's very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

To get a refund of the direct debit, contact your bank, and get them to submit a direct debit indemnity form, you will be refunded within 24hours . Then cancell direct debit problem solved. 

moans3536 wrote: »
    To get a refund of the direct debit, contact your bank, and get them to submit a direct debit indemnity form, you will be refunded within 24hours . Then cancell direct debit problem solved. 
    Thanks for your reply. That has been done, weeks ago. Problem exists, however, that someone has and used my bank details without m knowledge and Eir allowed it, even though the account holder had a different name and address to that of my Bank Details.

Thanks for your reply. That has been done, weeks ago. Problem exists, however, that someone has and used my bank details without m knowledge and Eir allowed it, even though the account holder had a different name and address to that of my Bank Details.
    If the name and address was different then I don't see you having too much of an issue in the future with Eir although you never know with that company.

I'd still want my account details removing from their system as that is still your personal data that Eir have no right to have. 

If the name and address was different then I don't see you having too much of an issue in the future with Eir although you never know with that company.

I'd still want my account details removing from their system as that is still your personal data that Eir have no right to have. 
    I can only assume it was a different name and address. The lady I spoke to (Fourth time) asked name and address, then went silent and came back with 'oh okay, so that looks like it's going to be a fraud case'.

I certainly do. Exactly. What's more annoying, is that the request the same details after complaint!

Hi Adam,

Hi MFlack2012, 

I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues with logging this complaint. 

Feel free to PM me the details and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks

Tracey 

Hi MFlack2012, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Pm sent.

Hi MFlack2012, 

Thanks

Tracey 

Pm sent.
    Thanks. 

I've responded to you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks. 

I've responded to you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

No response to pm's.

• Advertisement

No response to pm's.

Still have had no response to emails or pm's, so this matter has been passed to ComReg. As I have also been refused access to my request for any personal details of mine held by Eir, I will also be passing the matter to the Data Protection Commissioner.

I have never come across such poor customer service or lack of knowledge from Eir staff. I will quite gladly keep my distance from Eir as I have done in the past. I will also be advising family members of the Fraud that Eir is allowing and will be advising cancellation of all services.

Thanks

Data protection is there for this exact sort of case. Eir has incorrect information about you and this is why you should have access to your information so it can be corrected. 

Data protection is there for this exact sort of case. Eir has incorrect information about you and this is why you should have access to your information so it can be corrected. 

I have requested it by email and it remains unanswered, requested by pm and it remains unanswered and requested three times by chat and was point blank refused. So it will go further now to D.C. Thanks for your help! And advice.

I have requested it by email and it remains unanswered, requested by pm and it remains unanswered and requested three times by chat and was point blank refused. So it will go further now to D.C. Thanks for your help! And advice.
    Apologies for the delay in coming back to you. 

I've responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks 

Tracey 

No you haven't. This has been escalated to ComReg anyways.

Thanks 

Tracey 

No you haven't. This has been escalated to ComReg anyways.
    I think you need to also refer this to the Data Protection Commisioner. From https://dataprotection.ie/documents/AccessGuidance.pdf 
    The Right of Access is an important right for individuals, allowing them to obtain information about the kinds of data organisations process about them, and to verify that the information is accurate and up to date.

I think you need to also refer this to the Data Protection Commisioner. From https://dataprotection.ie/documents/AccessGuidance.pdf ;

I will be doing that today when I'm finished work

I think you need to also refer this to the Data Protection Commisioner. From https://dataprotection.ie/documents/AccessGuidance.pdf ;

I will be doing that today when I'm finished work
    I've sent it on again there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Ok no problem.

I'm afraid I am unable to set up any cases from here, the customer care team will need to do this. They can supply all the information you are requesting. I understand your frustration with this, however, I am unable to assist further.

Can you send the Unique Mandate Reference number for this payment so we can identify where this has gone, please? I can send this on to the fraud team for them to investigate.

Thanks

Tracey

Still doesn't help Tracey. Still no assistance on who can actually help. Just another 'we can't help to add to the growing list.

• Advertisement

Thanks 

Tracey 

Ok no problem.

I'm afraid I am unable to set up any cases from here, the customer care team will need to do this. They can supply all the information you are requesting. I understand your frustration with this, however, I am unable to assist further.

Can you send the Unique Mandate Reference number for this payment so we can identify where this has gone, please? I can send this on to the fraud team for them to investigate.

Thanks

Tracey

Still doesn't help Tracey. Still no assistance on who can actually help. Just another 'we can't help to add to the growing list.
    I understand your frustration, however, I am unable to log cases from here, the customer care will need to assist you further with this. 

I'm sorry I am unable to help you further with this. 

Thanks

Tracey 

Advertisement