Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bathing water analysis Sandycove

• 28-11-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Notice a couple of strange readings here ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

It's common enough, unfortunately. Usually following a short period of very heavy rain. Slurry and sewage get washed into water courses and show up in the sea. After a week or so it disperses so you see these spikes in coliform levels.

Beaches get closed for a while and open up again once the tides have diluted the danger.

By comparison I saw a program on the Ganges where the ecoli levels were over 5 Million per 100ml in Varanasi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

cjt156 wrote: »
    It's common enough, unfortunately. Usually following a short period of very heavy rain. Slurry and sewage get washed into water courses and show up in the sea. After a week or so it disperses so you see these spikes in coliform levels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it also the case that because our grey water (road water run off, shower water etc.) isn't separated from fecal contaminated waste water, such as it is in France etc. that after heavy rain our waste water treatment plants simply get overwhelmed and pump human waste untreated a far too short a distance out to sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

fleet wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it also the case that because our grey water (road water run off, shower water etc.) isn't separated from fecal contaminated waste water, such as it is in France etc. that after heavy rain our waste water treatment plants simply get overwhelmed and pump human waste untreated a far too short a distance out to sea?

This is mostly the case. Many towns have combined lines which take in rainwater. This has slowly been changing though, and all modern estates should have seperate storm lines and drains as should most roadways.

When there is extreme rain the plants simply cannot cope with the added volume of water. There are storm tanks which quickly fill and then the water/sewage has nowhere to go except out to the waterways, untreated. At this point it is well diluted but sewage is present all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

mrtom wrote: »
    Notice a couple of strange readings here ?

Its the reading week 28/08/17:
    Ecoli 2143, yet in the same sample Enterococci 9.
    Does that make any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

fleet wrote: »

In various parts of the country, yes. To be fair, though, there has been a major infrastructure upgrade in Sth Dublin in recent years so that shouldn't be the case in Sandycove.

• Advertisement
Advertisement