Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby must haves

Options
  • 28-11-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Due first baby in May. Have ordered travel system and have a co sleeper but trying to make a list of things we need for the baby. So far I have Moses basket, baby bath, monitor, sterilizer on the list as well as clothes and blankets. Know I could stay shopping for the baby forever but want to get the essentials to start and can buy things after.

Would love advice on the things we absolutely need.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Do you need a cosleeper and a Moses basket? We used the cosleeper upstairs, and put him in the pram bassinet for downstairs napping. Similarly, are you planning to formula feed or are you going to try breastfeeding? I breastfed but borrowed a steriliser just in case it didn’t work out. We ended up powering through with the BFing and never needed the steriliser. We had a few MAM bottles which you sterilise in the microwave, which we would use if I expressed (but if a breastfed baby is full-term and healthy, sterilising isn’t necessary at all - you can just wash in warm soapy water). We also didn’t have a baby bath, as found that a bath in the kitchen sink was much handier.

Some baby essentials are changing mats - maybe one upstairs and one downstairs for quick changes on the bed/sofa/table. Endless muslins and vests and onesies - newborns need changing many times per day. Blankets and cardigans - cardigans in particular can be hard to come by - and a few newborn hats.

One present we got was a baby gym, and we got lots of use out of that.

Start stocking up on nappies and wipes bit by bit.... as you’ll go through millions of them! And for yourself, maternity pads, breast pads, lanolin nipple cream, witch hazel for stitches (sooooooo good), maternity PJs and bras, big dark-coloured granny pants (!), maybe a tens machine if you’re going to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Nappies
    Cotton wool/wipes - whichever you'll use
    Cellular blankets - don't bother with fleecy ones as it'll be warm in summer.
    Muslin cloths, for spit ups/pukes/when you spill your tea at 3am ;)
    A changing station, doesnt have to be a bought one- you can make one up to suit yourself.

Don't bother with too many clothes, you'll get a daft amount as presents, and forget the small baby towels, they're too small to wrap baby up properly- just use your own bath towels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Gosh I know everyone says “every baby is different” but they really are!
    For my second boy I would say Muslins are he was a puker, a chair as he had to be kept up after feeding, cardigans, long sleeved vests, baby grows and bibs. He has yet to wear anything else!
    Oh and nappies, cotton wool and waterwipes (He has serious sensitive skin). He loves going in his baby gym. He loves the toys on his cot too. He recently discovered how to grab things lol! That’s the height of it now to be honest. Not bothering with changing table etc.
    Bought a 6 pk of bottles but he has yet to really drink one yet :( a bit of a disaster as he is 3 months.

Also, a bouncy chair is very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

The cot is the only essential thing I don't think you have on your list. I would get that before baby arrives because you can't necessarily say when you will put them into it and it's not a bad idea to have them nap in it very early on. We moved my little girl into her cot at 7 weeks straight from the Moses basket.

Other things that we would be lost without are the following: baby carrier (the options are endless so do your research first, we currently have a baby Bjorn and an ergo, both myself and baby prefer the baby Bjorn massively), muslin cloths (we use them for everything, including baths), sleep sacks (worth their weight in gold if you have a wriggly baby like us), changing station (ours is a home made changing top that fits a changing mat and sits on top of an ikea kallax unit. We have a shelf above for nappy supplies and all essential clothes that I need on hand underneath in the boxes, and both her clothes basket and bin to one side. I'd be lost without our set up, but wouldn't buy an actual changing unit), thermometer (always handy for reassurance for when you have a cranky baby).

I wouldn't stock up on the following: nappies (you can't know in advance if your baby will have any sensitivities to a certain brand, if they will suit their body shape or how quickly they will grow out of a certain size), the same goes for wipes for sensitivity reasons, clothes (we were given enough clothes to do our little girl right up to the 12-18 month size. We just added a few bits and pieces here and there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

I'd have a big supply of whatever wet wipes your going to use & size 1 & two nappies. Maybe 1 box of size 1 as they grow out of them pretty fast.
    We a cacoonbaby which we keep in the cosleeper & would be lost without it!
    We did have a moses basket downstairs even though she could sleep in the buggy bassinet . It was handy for us.
    A monitor maybe? We got one as a gift & used it every now and then .

You will need a blind for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

On my first, I bought a travel system and a Moses basket, and whatever I needed for my hospital bag. Oh, and a feeding cushion.
    It’s six years ago now, but the only things I can remember that I was stuck for in the first couple of days were a changing mat and a changing bag- if you can call it stuck! my mother was horrified to see me out and about with a Dunnes Stores bag carrying the baby essentials.
    I didn’t use a monitor for weeks on any of mine because they were always near me. I intended to breastfeed so didn’t buy anything bottle related. I was given the world of clothes, and a few hampers of baby essentials.
    If I had my time back, I’d not bother with the Moses basket. Two weeks he fit in it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Actually...a mirror for your car.You can get them in smyths toys etc, they allow you to see the baby while in it's carseat and you are driving.

I'd mostly echo what else is here.I would stock up on size 1&2 nappies.I have mixed feelings on bouncer chairs, we didn' see it as an essential on our first yet she turned out to be a reflux baby and we did need one to keep her upright.I got one at 5 weeks and cursed myself for not getting it sooner.So I guess use your judgement on that.A playmat (that might be what people mean by baby gym?) Or basically somewhere for baby to be able to lie and kick and move and have space.Same for muslins, hardly needed any on our first, had to emergency shop runs for them on our second who was a puker!!

We have a basic ikea changing table.Maybe not an essential for everyone but a lifesaver for your back.

A changing bag.Doesn't have to be big and fancy.I'd suggest one that does not zip shut as you cannot open zips with one hand and you will have to do that.

The only other suggestion I have is if you are planning on bottlefeeding, get one of those plastic things that holds individual servings of formula.You can get them in Boots and the like, they are divided into sections to hold formula for say 3 bottles.Because you aren't going to carting the box of formula around with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you live in a city and/or use public transport a lot a baby carrier is an absolute essential. I used a stretchy wrap until my son was around 4 months old, then moved on to a Connecta. My husband has a Manduca and at this stage with my son being 20 months and massive for his age we both use the Manduca for him when we need it.

I wouldn't necessarily go too mad on size 1 nappies, we were out of them by 4 weeks. I would actually stash size 3 if you see a good deal.

If you plan on breastfeeding I wouldn't spend a lot on supplies now - lanolin nipple cream and a good pillow would be useful though. If you're bottle feeding then a few single bottles of different types would be useful in terms of figuring out what works for your child, then stock up from Amazon etc.

Stumbled across my list tonight actually! Also on it which wasn’t mentioned in this thread, but that I found useful, was a breast pump and storage bags (which I’m still using often and he’s now 10 months).

I second the recommendations for a baby carrier. Super useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I haven’t had my baby yet but I’m holding off on a baby carrier / sling until after so I can go to a baby wearing meeting to see what suits. I’d hate to buy something now that I or the baby end up hating.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

A super king sized bed. Boobs.

I bought EVERYTHING for my youngest. The above is all I needed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I don't know if you'd call it an essential but to me it's one of my best buys if you drive and expect to have the baby out and about-Morrck baby blanket. They're dear enough but a godsend because it means not needing to put a jacket on a baby (which isn't very safe in a car seat anyway). You can wrap them up lovely and warm and if they fall asleep but you get home/in a cafe etc you can unwrap them without having to wake them.

With regards the basics lots of people will have different opinions, but as a few people have mentioned things that are often forgotten in lists are a mirror for the car and a thermometer (make sure to get one that takes the temp on the forehead without touching, great if baby is asleep but you want to check).

That's a really good idea bee06! But I would advise having a look at all the different types and what each type is good for and also what your LO will want/need from a carrier.

For example, we have a baby Bjorn and an ergo. We couldn't figure out the ergo when she was born and actually only took it out of the box last week and have just used it on a trip to Germany.

My LO loves the baby Bjorn because it allows her to be placed front forward facing. She's never fought me when im putting her into it. She loves looking around at what's going on and has never got over stimulated from that position, which may not suit other babies. The ergo on the other hand allows front inward, back and hip carries. My LO fought us nearly every time over the last few days when we were putting her into the ergo. She hates facing towards whoever is carrying her and the strap was too uncomfortable for me with the hip carry, so it's a no go for the future and to be honest I hated seeing how bored and fed up she looked in the ergo. It's also a lot more awkward to get it on than the baby bjorn. Unfortunately she's growing out of the baby Bjorn now, so I have a ring sling and another carrier similar to the ergo, but one that allows a front forward facing carry ordered to see what suits. YouTube is your best friend, there's endless review's and some really good channels that iv come across, especially if your anyways interested in ring slings or wraps.

Oh and a couple other things, a generic cover for a carrier if you get one. I have a fantastic one that also doubles up as a footmuff for the buggy.

Re the thermometer, we had a touch one that I found useless, although I will admit it was cheap. We have an in-ear one now and can check our LOs temp whenever, even when she's asleep. We 'practice' taking her temp and now she cocks her ear to us and then tries to take ours! Although she is amazed with the thermometer in general - she's a bit strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 What_to_do999

Can I just ask what Baby Bjorn carrier you got as I'm torn between them at the moment, thanks in advance

We were given the original when the LO was born. Its the one a lot of people don't like because of the sitting position, i.e dangley legs. If I was to buy a baby Bjorn, I'd get the baby Bjorn one. It looks to be very similar in the way you put it on to the original (which is so much easier than the ergo), has the wide seat position (where the knees are wide apart) and you also have front parent, front forward, hip and back carry options. I was looking into it recently as our next carrier because of the front forward facing option, but it has a limit of 15 months on the front forward facing which knocked it out of the running for us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I wouldn't buy a baby carrier. Never used one with my little boy as he absolutely hated it + also had reflux so 2 or 3 times we tried it he puked all over me + screamed.

Muslin cloths are essential we had so many for the little baba. I think your doing really well with your list. Every baby is different. We used our Moses Basket till baba literally wouldn't fit in it anymore. He loved the small space + hated the large cot. My friend had one + barely used it.

We have a nappy bin + I find it invaluable. Stops all the smells + you don't have to keep bringing nappies outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Best things we got were a nose frida and the sleepy head, invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You can hire carriers from the national library for a couple of weeks to see if you and baby like them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We got 6.5 months of use out of the moses basket, so really depends on the size of your baby. We had a stand for it in the living room and another in the bedroom. The basket was cheap, Aldi do them for like 34 Euro and Smyths for 40. We could just carry her in the basket from one room to the other if she was asleep.
    We didn't use the co-sleeper until she was too big for the moses basket as it took up a lot more space in our bedroom and was akward. We bought furniture for baby room after she was born and didn't use her cot until she went into her own room around 8 months. So it's really down to what suits your own situation and attitude to baby sleeping in your room, bf vs bottle, etc...
    We bought one of those Tommee Tippee essential starter kits, it came with bottles, steriliser and bottle warmer and carrier. Got a bottle prep machine on special offer at Boots baby event. We used the steriliser until she was 1 and we still use the bottle prep machine, it's just so handy. Should've bought a pump before baby was born too, I had problems feeding at the start, so ended up having to borrow/rent and trying to buy one in a rush.
    We also got a high changing table with integrated bath. Bought a sponge support for the bath, which was great when she was tiny. We still use the baby bath in our own bath now that she's 1, it uses a lot less water and is easy to fill, rinse, clean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

People will convince you that you need lots of things when, in fact, you need very little at all. All your baby needs is you. Depending on your lifestyle, you could actually buy nothing and be fine.

It's hard when you're pregnant, excited, full of hormones and wanting to nest, to avoid over buying. I'm very back to basics and even I got sucked in and bought too much baby stuff.

These are the only things I couldn't have managed without:
    • nappies + wipes (I use cloth)
    • sling
    • car seat
    • cellular blankets (safest for baby)

These are some things that make life easier and I'm glad I have:
    • plenty of muslins
    • changing mat
    • mirror for car
    • breast pads (again, I use cloth ones)
    • thermometer

These are some things that my baby really benefited from having:
    • a playmat with an arch and dangling toys
    • several toys with different textures to grab and feel
    • a silicone teething thing
    • books, books, books!

And these are some things I bought and absolutely did not need at all:
    • co sleeper crib
    • cot
    • travel system (I use the buggy part sometimes for longer walks now that she's bigger but could have just bought a cheap buggy)
    • special mattresses for both crib and cot
    • sheets for crib, cot and pram
    • too many clothes
    • dedicated changing area (built, not bought but still, unused)
    • snowsuit

If you can, instead of spending money on lots of stuff, I would recommend you take as much time off work as you can possibly afford.

Waterfaerie, where does your baby sleep if you don’t use a co-sleeper or cot?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Her bed Id say. Thats where mine are anyway. The cots are only used intermittently.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

bee06 wrote: »
    Waterfaerie, where does your baby sleep if you don’t use a co-sleeper or cot?

She sleeps in her own blankets beside me. There's a lot of scaremongering about it but it's actually the safest place in the world for the baby as long as you're breastfeeding. There's been a huge amount of research about it.

It's really important to follow the safe co sleeping guidelines. The Safe Sleep 7 is a good place to find information and there's a really good facebook group, too, if you're on facebook.

Thanks! I already have a co-sleeper as I’m not sure I’d get any sleep with the baby in the bed when they are newborn as I’m quite a bad sleeper anyway but it’s defintely something to look into for a bit later.

See, everyone has different opinions based on their own particular experience!

I wouldn't be without our carrier, which many people don't like wearing, while not in a million years would I be able to share the bed with a baby (not judging by any means, iv just never been able to relax enough to sleep any time she has been our bed).

So for the op, I would recommend keeping your essentials list as small as possible, you really don't 'need' all that much. Wait and see what you get as presents etc when baby arrives. And then take into consideration your lifestyle, your family and your baby to see what extra stuff works/makes your life easier that you wouldn't be without after a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

bee06 wrote: »
    Thanks! I already have a co-sleeper as I’m not sure I’d get any sleep with the baby in the bed when they are newborn as I’m quite a bad sleeper anyway but it’s defintely something to look into for a bit later.
    I'm the exact same. Took me long enough to get used to sleeping with my husband, not sure I'd relax with a baby, plus my bed is a double so just about fitd the two of us because I'm a sprawler.

I really love this thread because I neeeeeeeed everything but I know I don't. Trying to have some restraint. Not sure I could live without the travel system though. Clothes wise I am definitely holding off.

Changing table I am mixed on. I feel it will be a huge benefit but others say it's a waste. Not sure if I should wait and see. The one I want is from ikea and they now deliver.

Haha tea_and_cake! It's all so tempting when your trying to nest and be prepared for every eventuality!

I just thought of another couple things, that are by no way essential, but I still wouldn't be without out them coz they make my life easier and that's a rocking chair and feeding cushion. I can only speak from a breastfeeding pov, but would imagine they would be just as useful for formula. I use them everyday, especially at bed time. The chair is one thing I really wasn't pushed about, but my husband insisted on getting it and he was so right about how handy it is. You can pick them up cheap enough second hand and they are usually in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

scarepanda wrote: »
    Haha tea_and_cake! It's all so tempting when your trying to nest and be prepared for every eventuality!

I just thought of another couple things, that are by no way essential, but I still wouldn't be without out them coz they make my life easier and that's a rocking chair and feeding cushion. I can only speak from a breastfeeding pov, but would imagine they would be just as useful for formula. I use them everyday, especially at bed time. The chair is one thing I really wasn't pushed about, but my husband insisted on getting it and he was so right about how handy it is. You can pick them up cheap enough second hand and they are usually in perfect condition.
    It's so tempting. I'm a pure mother hen, I'd have had kids when I was 20 if I could :pac: thankfully none of the sales assistants have pushed stuff on my. Nearly the opposite, which is nice.

I don't have space for a chair. Thankfully I have the cushion because I plan on breastfeding so hopefully it works.

I'd have all the clothes bought too but think I'll have a big baby so holding off on too much stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Cotton pads - these are great for wiping their bum/area for the first month or so. We also put one/two under her chin as milk can be lost when feeding:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251242974

Washable changing mats- brilliant as you will get poop/pee on them and they can fold up to take with you when out and about:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/baby/changing-tables-nursing/tutig-babycare-mat-grey-white-art-10256613/

Long sleeve babysuits. Great for the chillier nights. I found Tesco's to be great. The material is good quality and the buttons are colour coded (at 3am it helps!).

Advertisement