Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Accessories Discussion Thread (Read Disclaimer in Post #1)

Options
  • 28-11-2017 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So I have gotten my 14 year old a switch for Christmas with Mario Odyssey and Rabbids as part of an Amazon Cyber Monday Deal.

What are the key accessories I should get, if any?

I know with PS4/XBOX I would have gotten extra controllers, wireless headset, controller charger, etc...

Anything I need to consider for the switch? Sadly not as much research done as i normally would, so appreciate any advice/recommendations.:o

Thanks.
    Mod Note:

I think it's vital to say that the recommendation, however strong and confident, from a user of a product or accessory, still will need you to do some research before purchasing and trusting your health, or the health of your console to it. If someone recommends a power supply for example for the Switch and your console gets damaged as a result, it's not their fault. So double check everything!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would suggest you do a search of the existing Nintendo Switch threads here, plenty of discussion on this topic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So I have gotten my 14 year old a switch for Christmas with Mario Odyssey and Rabbids as part of an Amazon Cyber Monday Deal.

What are the key accessories I should get, if any?

I know with PS4/XBOX I would have gotten extra controllers, wireless headset, controller charger, etc...

Anything I need to consider for the switch? Sadly not as much research done as i normally would, so appreciate any advice/recommendations.:o

Thanks.

The general consensus seems to be a case and screen protector for starters. Additional controllers or charge adapters depend on your specific needs.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I would suggest you do a search of the existing Nintendo Switch threads here, plenty of discussion on this topic.

It can be awkward to find if you're not following the threads 24/7 though, especially as more folks join the Switch movement. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, then we should make this the official Switch Accessories thread.
    Happy days.
    From now on any accessories discussion can be found here and I'll move any accessory posts over from now on, if posted elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It can be awkward to find if you're not following the threads 24/7 though, especially as more folks join the Switch movement. :)

Indeed, I was looking for info on sdxc cards the other day, and having not kept up with the Switch megathread, t'was a bit of a daunting ask to look through it. The site's search function is garbage, I'd quicker use a google site-search tbh. Luckily, I could just ask the question instead :o (thanks to the Ninty forum users for the prompt help btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I bought this SD card here on amazon. I've found it to be a good match so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Inviere wrote: »
    Indeed, I was looking for info on sdxc cards the other day, and having not kept up with the Switch megathread, t'was a bit of a daunting ask to look through it. The site's search function is garbage, I'd quicker use a google site-search tbh. Luckily, I could just ask the question instead :o (thanks to the Ninty forum users for the prompt help btw!)

So what was recommended? :pac:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, then we should make this the official Switch Accessories thread.
    Happy days.
    From now on any accessories discussion can be found here and I'll move any accessory posts over from now on, if posted elsewhere.

Cheers Cidey. :)
    Inviere wrote: »
    The site's search function is garbage, I'd quicker use a google site-search tbh.

I gave up using boards search a long time ago, couldn't make sense of the results. OT but the search on the Argos site is garbage too (or sometimes product links just don't work at all!). :pac:
    So what was recommended? :pac:

This card was linked at one point - SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC Memory Card - but that was when it was £32 in the Cyber Monday sale, it's back up to £50 now. So I'm not sure if that still represents a good price or not. I've decided to hold off on a memory card for now (or see if I have one lying around) but it will 100% be a necessary purchase sooner or later.

As for cases, I think I'll go with the Hori Tough Pouch from Argos, €19 at the minute. The red Mario Odyssey case looks lovely but not sure how robust it is (not that I plan on playing football with the thing!).

Orzly Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for £9 has been mentioned a few times I think so I'll go with that too.

It's best, as Andrew says, that newcomers to Nintendo and Boards find information that they are looking for with the minimum of a learning curve, this thread will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Cheers Cidey. :)

I gave up using boards search a long time ago, couldn't make sense of the results. OT but the search on the Argos site is garbage too (or sometimes product links just don't work at all!). :pac:

This card was linked at one point - SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC Memory Card - but that was when it was £32 in the Cyber Monday sale, it's back up to £50 now. So I'm not sure if that still represents a good price or not. I've decided to hold off on a memory card for now (or see if I have one lying around) but it will 100% be a necessary purchase sooner or later.

As for cases, I think I'll go with the Hori Tough Pouch from Argos, €19 at the minute. The red Mario Odyssey case looks lovely but not sure how robust it is (not that I plan on playing football with the thing!).

Orzly Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for £9 has been mentioned a few times I think so I'll go with that too.

What about this case for €8.99?

http://checkargos.com/product/7117422

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Delighted this thread is a thing, ordered the switch yesterday for myself for christmas so looking to get all the bits I need for it in the next few weeks. Few questions;

Want to get another controller, looking at the pro controller but for playing Mario kart with friends am I better getting joycons? Related, why the hell are the controllers so expensive??? €80 for the pro in shops and not much cheaper online.

Its USB C charger, will any type of cable and wall plug do or is it important to stick to official ones?

Thanks in advance!

What about this case for €8.99?

http://checkargos.com/product/7117422

That's back to €18.99 now unfortunately. It look's fine, certainly better than not having a case, but personally I'd prefer a hard shell type one.
    Want to get another controller, looking at the pro controller but for playing Mario kart with friends am I better getting joycons? Related, why the hell are the controllers so expensive??? €80 for the pro in shops and not much cheaper online.

It seems all the official accessories are mad expensive especially the controllers. A second set of joy-cons would give you an extra controller vs the pro or for the price of either of those you could get two of the wired controllers (not sure if they have HD rumble or how long those cables are). At some point I'll bite the bullet and get the pro and let the kids use the joy-cons.

There is a joy-con pack that comes with the Snipperclips game (is this the same as Snipperclips Plus?) which saves you about a tenner if you were planning on buying both - but that's still €100!!
    Its USB C charger, will any type of cable and wall plug do or is it important to stick to official ones?

Pac1man posted about this in another thread so hopefully he can chime in here. I would stick to the official adapter myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Pac1man posted about this in another thread so hopefully he can chime in here. I would stick to the official adapter myself.

Just to be clear, the charger is the the physical block which has a plug top attached. The charger will have some info printed on the body showing output voltage and current.

From an electrical point of view, a device is designed to operate within a certain voltage range. The voltage indicated on the device and on the charger must be the same. You will have issues otherwise.

You have a bit more flexibility with current but I would only use a charger that has at least the same current rating as the device. A charger with a current less than the device may not actually charge the device at all. It may just keep the device ticking over which I can't imagine is very good for the battery. I would avoid this.

A charger with a current rating greater than the device is fine. The device will only pull what it needs.

***Disclaimer***

This info does not take into account the quality of charger and cable which someone rightly pointed out in the other thread. I would avoid any cheap eBay versions.

Personally I would advise anyone with doubts on this topic to just pay the €30 for the official charger. How much are you paying for the Switch?

I would be happy using my good quality phone charger however the cable I have is too short. For this reason I will end up buying an official one at some stage too.

Mod: I think it's vital to say that the recommendation, however strong and confident, from a user of a product or accessory, still will need you to do some research before purchasing and trusting your health, or the health of your console, to it.
    If someone recommends a power supply for example for the Switch, as above, and sometime gets damaged as a result, it's not their fault. So double check everything!

There's seldom a cheap thing without a good reason, particularly around PSUs and cables.
    USB-C cables carry more power than the previous models and different chargers have different ratings, so educate yourself on how they work before buying something spurious, if you are uncertain, as Pac1Man says, just get the official one.

Think I’ll just get the official one so. Doubt I’ll need it any time soon but just wondering.

Pretty annoyed I’ll have to shell out €210 for 3 controllers for when I’ve friends over for Mario kart. Was thinking more €150 max

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What are people's thoughts on the 8bitdo controller as an alternative to the Pro Controller?

They sure do look purdy. I wonder how ergonomic they are for a couple hours of play. £40 on Amazon.

original.jpg

Well, you don't have to, if you are playing Mario Kart you can use the set of Joycons that comes with the system for two of you and pick up two wired controllers from Smyths for €20 each. they've gone back up to €30!
    Or... you could pick up a WiiU GC adapter and use that for any spare Gamecube controllers you might have, or there's the 8Bitdo controllers either.
    I've got a Pokken controller, the GC adapter and an 8Bitdo controller, all work just fine.
    If I was looking for a cost effective way to play 4 player Mario Kart 8 DX though, I'd just buy a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/GameWill-Switch-Controller-Braided-Nintendo/dp/B073H13ZBX/ref=sr_1_16?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1511950419&sr=1-16

not the prettiest, but cost effective and will get the job done.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on the 8bitdo controller as an alternative to the Pro Controller?

They sure do look purdy. I wonder how ergonomic they are for a couple hours of play. £40 on Amazon.

Was reading about that the other day, looks excellent. I have one of the older models without thumbsticks for use with the Pi3 and it works great - build quality is top notch.

@Cidey: I wonder is it only the official WiiU GC adapter that would work with the Switch? Pretty sure I have one here somewhere but think it's a Mayflash one I got for PC use. Would be brilliant to be able to use the GC controllers for some games atleast. Finest controller ever made. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good idea for a thread. Ciderman I think putting that disclaimer in the first post would probably be a good idea!

Have 3 GameCube controllers allright so might see how practical a wired connection is once I get it. May require some rearranging of the room for when I’m hosting a gaming night but sure needs must.

That SNES controller looks great, still think I need to invest in a pro though or at least one.

• Advertisement

Was reading about that the other day, looks excellent. I have one of the older models without thumbsticks for use with the Pi3 and it works great - build quality is top notch.

@Cidey: I wonder is it only the official WiiU GC adapter that would work with the Switch? Pretty sure I have one here somewhere but think it's a Mayflash one I got for PC use. Would be brilliant to be able to use the GC controllers for some games atleast. Finest controller ever made. :cool:

I use the official one and my GC controllers work perfectly.
    I haven't tried more than one at a time, as I only have two hands, and no friends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Pac1Man wrote: »

I have the 8BitDo NES30 Pro and find it a bit small - much prefer the Pro Controller, havent seen the SNES30 Pro up close though, may be a bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have the 8BitDo NES30 Pro and find it a bit small - much prefer the Pro Controller, havent seen the SNES30 Pro up close though, may be a bit bigger.

Is the 8bit wireless?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is the 8bit wireless?

Wireless Bluetooth yes. Comes with USB-C cable to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks like the SN30 Pro is USB C, but the SFC30 Pro is stunning just USB Mini...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Have 3 GameCube controllers allright so might see how practical a wired connection is once I get it. May require some rearranging of the room for when I’m hosting a gaming night but sure needs must.

That SNES controller looks great, still think I need to invest in a pro though or at least one.

I believe that the GC adapter will only allow you to use 1 controller - as in you can connect 4 but all 4 of them are seen as Player 1.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Looks like the SN30 Pro is USB C, but the SFC30 Pro is stunning just USB Mini...

The SN30 is nicer looking anyway. More exotic, like. :pac:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some things I picked up the last few weeks.

DPD Joy Con Rubber Grip. These are fantastic and hugely change the comfort of playing split joy con or handheld. It was fine before but not for longer periods, these are really comfortable to hold and have a 'bump' in the back for a better hold like a controller.

IMG_20171129_143021.jpg

IMG_20171129_143253.jpg

Myriann Expansion Card Slot. Very handy plastic card slot that fits into any Switch game box. It holds 7 carts and 2 micro sd cards. There are 2 of them in the box as well. Got them from Amazon.

IMG_20171129_143423.jpg

Banjo wrote: »
    I believe that the GC adapter will only allow you to use 1 controller - as in you can connect 4 but all 4 of them are seen as Player 1.

Ah feck sake they don’t make it easy for you. Well sure at least it’s one less controller I need. Going to order a pro and another joycon set I think and split the joycon or use the GC controller for another one.

Still can’t wait to play MK8, we haven’t had a decent 4 player Mario kart session since double dash on the GameCube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Banjo wrote: »
    Ah feck sake they don’t make it easy for you. Well sure at least it’s one less controller I need. Going to order a pro and another joycon set I think and split the joycon or use the GC controller for another one.

Still can’t wait to play MK8, we haven’t had a decent 4 player Mario kart session since double dash on the GameCube.

I've one of the super cheap adapters that has "Made for WiiU" on the side of it, it picks up all 4 Gamecube controllers and works perfectly with MK8D and Rocket League 4 player. Just a matter of rebooting the Switch once the adapter is plugged in, and then going to controller menu and hitting the R+L buttons on each controller. Can't speak for the official one. :)

Advertisement