Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Accessories Discussion Thread (Read Disclaimer in Post #1)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You probably get to pay extra for the Nintendo Switch logo, just like those Sandisk Nintendo Switch branded memory cards that are overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

If anyone is looking for a Switch bag that can also be used as a normal bag, this one is pretty good

I use it during the week for my work stuff, as a camera bag when I'm out shooting and as a Switch bag when needed. It has loads of pockets and pouches at the back for joycons, cables, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

fixxxer wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a Switch bag that can also be used as a normal bag, this one is pretty good

I use it during the week for my work stuff, as a camera bag when I'm out shooting and as a Switch bag when needed. It has loads of pockets and pouches at the back for joycons, cables, etc.

Nice and all but not sure I want a big bag that advertises what's inside it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Nice and all but not sure I want a big bag that advertises what's inside it

I pulled the stitching out of the rubber Switch logo so its just plain grey now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Hi folks

The brother bought himself a switch a few weeks back and I'm thinking of getting him some accessories for Christmas. Is there any must have or really good stuff that would be worth getting him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pro controller, Micro SD card, screen protector and a carry case if he travels.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look and see what he has and decide. Reckon I'll get him the controller tho. Is it that much better than the standard one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Drexel wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll have a look and see what he has and decide. Reckon I'll get him the controller tho. Is it that much better than the standard one?

The pro controller for me is excellent. Playing Zelda is so much better with pro controller. Haven’t tried mario yet but I love being able to switch (no pun intended) between the 2 types of controls.

if you don’t mind paying about €80 then you’ll pick one up anywhere

I bought this one because I wasn’t sure if I’d use a pro controller or not. It’s £27 and I can honesty say the build quality is absolutely fantastic. It’s definitely does not feel or look as cheap as it costs. It’s the real deal

Revolut and Parcel Motel/Wizard all the way

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEBONCOOL-Controller-Nintendo-Wireless-Somatosensory/dp/B0795D8WPK/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's the one I bought.
    Great battery life and has everything the official controller has bar NFC.
    Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I already have a pro controller and can't fault it, except the price.
    So if I need to buy a 2nd game pad, it'll be this bad boy:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0748S3GXG/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ding0c-21&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0748S3GXG&linkId=c3e5ac5bd273878ec18d5b5968228c77

8bitdo SF30 Pro. About 40 quid, looks class, good reviews, and works as a regular Bluetooth game pad on PC.

• Advertisement

Yeah the cost of the official one was a bit of an issue but those two look great. I think he plays it hand held mostly and for certain games he plays on the telly.

I'll take a look at both and pick one. I do like the look of the super Nintendo looking one tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hey guys, where to get an official Nintendo Switch Dock? My nephew somehow lost his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Mr E wrote: »
    Hey guys, where to get an official Nintendo Switch Dock? My nephew somehow lost his.

In a store?

Smyths looks like your best bet..

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-accessories/nintendo-switch-docking-station/p/160640

Not a bad price either, they are going for £115 on amazon at the mo O_O

EDIT: ouch, just seen they are all out of stock.. Not sure where then mate without going online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Thinking about picking up a 3rd party switch dock for the 2nd TV. Anyone have any good experience with any? Just super wary of picking up a dodgy one and bricking my switch

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

manual_man wrote: »
    Thinking about picking up a 3rd party switch dock for the 2nd TV. Anyone have any good experience with any? Just super wary of picking up a dodgy one and bricking my switch

Cheers

I was rightly scared off buying a third party dock based on the reports that emerged of bricked consoles, but the majority of these articles stem from the middle of last year.

Have things advanced with third party docks, has anyone here got one they'd stand over?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Not really switch related but has Nintendo started selling official gamecube gamepads again? Ones that would work with the Wii? Either with USB connections combined with an adapter, or preferably ones with the proper gamecube connection. Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Not really switch related but has Nintendo started selling official gamecube gamepads again? Ones that would work with the Wii? Either with USB connections combined with an adapter, or preferably ones with the proper gamecube connection. Thanks.

There seem to be a bunch of new ones out but the ones I've seen are Switch-friendly i.e. have extra buttons for Switch functions and have USB connectors. Not sure if they have adapters for use with a Wii or GC, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

the corpo wrote: »
    I was rightly scared off buying a third party dock based on the reports that emerged of bricked consoles, but the majority of these articles stem from the middle of last year.

Have things advanced with third party docks, has anyone here got one they'd stand over?

Anyone with an update on these? There's loads of USB C to HDMI adapters on Amazon marketed to be switch compatible and they're only about €20.
    I'd love a second dock but the prices for an official one are crazy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

.red. wrote: »
    Anyone with an update on these? There's loads of USB C to HDMI adapters on Amazon marketed to be switch compatible and they're only about €20.
    I'd love a second dock but the prices for an official one are crazy.

From reading around it appears the issue is not the docks themselves but the power handling - Nintendo's implementation of USB-C in the Switch is vulnerable to power surges, as far as I understand it.

I picked up a Biogenik "compact dock" in Canada last year. I have only used it twice but it has worked without bricking my Switch so far... Having said that, I can no longer find any sign of it on the EBGames or Biogenik websites. So make of that what you will.

Anyone recommend any good grip for handheld play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I've heard that the Satisfye grip is good, but have no experience with it. Its on sale right now.

https://www.satisfye.com/products/zengrip-pro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I couldn't recommend this highly enough, the Hori Split Pad Pro, it's fantastic. Think I paid close to €70 from Play-Asia ages ago when it was very hard to get hold of. Just note that it is not wireless so only works when connected to the Switch - which is the whole point of handheld I guess. :D

Feels like using a proper sized controller, buttons and sticks feel great. It also has two paddles at the back, one on either side if you want to remap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Split-Pad-Pro-Nintendo/dp/B07T5QKKVP

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend this highly enough, the Hori Split Pad Pro, it's fantastic. Think I paid close to €70 from Play-Asia ages ago when it was very hard to get hold of. Just note that it is not wireless so only works when connected to the Switch - which is the whole point of handheld I guess. :D

Feels like using a proper sized controller, buttons and sticks feel great. It also has two paddles at the back, one on either side if you want to remap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Split-Pad-Pro-Nintendo/dp/B07T5QKKVP

It does look comfortable. Though it's a pity you lose some of the additional joycon functionality. I'm leaning towards a clip on grip using existing joycons, I saw the Satisfye one but to my eye it looks like it could be a bit of a stretch from the thumb to the buttons on the right hand side specifically

Looking at this one. Looks fairly slick and the 5 cartridge holder on the back is a handy feature. Reviews are good. €20ish
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comfort-Grip-Nintendo-Switch-Storage/dp/B07DX63TN4/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=nintendo+switch+grip&qid=1585942642&sr=8-7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My right joycon seems to be dying is the Hori Split pad at €50 the cheapest replacement for a new set

Harvey Norman doing the split pad at that price or should I just go and get a joycon set for €80+ from a better site.

I've been doing some more handheld playing recently, and once again realised that the ergonomics of the Switch for handheld play just... aren't. So I'm looking to pick up a grip. I don't want any of the ones that have a battery built in (due to the extra weight), or replacement joycons.

I was looking at the Orzly grip but am put off by reviews mentioning that the grip makes it hard to use the shoulder buttons, so now I'm considering the Dragonslay one. Has anyone used this?

Got this Stardew Valley themed case for my Switch on Etsy. Well padded inside. ✨

Following up on this, I picked up the Orzly stand and the Dragonslay grip to give me a choice of handheld play options 😁 my first try of the stand was good; the grip only arrived today so I'll post again when I've had a chance to try it out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

i already have a 8 bit do adapter and a ps5 controllers. Hardly worth it if i buy a pro controller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Is the 8BitDo Pro2 controller still worth getting for the switch? The kids are starting to play the Switch a bit more though they still mostly play the Wii U and I could do with another controller. Have one Pro controller already which the oldest bags when we play multiplayer the other doesn't mind the single joycon but they are two small for me.

8Bitdo Pro2 worth it at €38 or should I just spend the extra €22 on the Pro controller?

Advertisement