Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strand (and other 1 Bedroom Apartments)

• 28-11-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

I'm looking to move out of a 2 bedroom apartment (in Riverpoint) into a 1 bedroom elsewhere in the city but they seem to be hard to come by!

I've noticed that KMPM have rented out some in Bedford Row over the last few months for €775 - €850 so that'll be the first place I'll look into. Not keen on the parking situation but I've heard the apartments are nice.

I'm really interested in the Strand but they seem to rarely appear on Daft. Does anyone have some insider info on who manages rentals there? Or how much 1 bedroom apartments would go for?

Or if anyone knows of any other nice buildings around the city that I haven't mentioned but might be worth looking into that would also be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

le_girl wrote: »
    I'm looking to move out of a 2 bedroom apartment (in Riverpoint) into a 1 bedroom elsewhere in the city but they seem to be hard to come by!

I've noticed that KMPM have rented out some in Bedford Row over the last few months for €775 - €850 so that'll be the first place I'll look into. Not keen on the parking situation but I've heard the apartments are nice.

I'm really interested in the Strand but they seem to rarely appear on Daft. Does anyone have some insider info on who manages rentals there? Or how much 1 bedroom apartments would go for?

Or if anyone knows of any other nice buildings around the city that I haven't mentioned but might be worth looking into that would also be appreciated :)

A 2 bed in the Strand sold for 440k at auction yesterday if that gives you any idea of the demand for accommodation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

jsd1004 wrote: »
    A 2 bed in the Strand sold for 440k at auction yesterday if that gives you any idea of the demand for accommodation.

440k for a 2 bed???must be some apartment

OP id say one beds are very hard to get just check daily on sites leave your name with letting agents even try the local small ads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I live in The Strand and reckon you'd definitely be looking at €900 currently for a one bed. They could probably get more if they wanted as well.

I found my apartment there on Daft about two years ago but it was a pretty vigorous vetting process. I had to get work, landlord,character references all before moving in :eek:

They do look well kept and secure from the outside tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bigpink wrote: »
    They do look well kept and secure from the outside tho

They're amazing. So close to town and really well built and kept. The secure car and bike parking are excellent too. Definitely hope to buy one in a few years time when I finish my studies :)

• Advertisement

440 K sounds crazy they must be renting well over a grand a month

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

How come the apartments on steamboat quay/dock rd area are so cheap to buy? Some around 50k? Was just looking last night because I might move to Limerick next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

How come the apartments on steamboat quay/dock rd area are so cheap to buy? Some around 50k? Was just looking last night because I might move to Limerick next year!

Because its basically a Ghetto and the apartments are shocking in build quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Tefral wrote: »
    Because its basically a Ghetto and the apartments are shocking in build quality.

I'd turn that around. The design is very poor (not so much the build btw) and therefore they've become a ghetto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

panda100 wrote: »
    They're amazing. So close to town and really well built and kept. The secure car and bike parking are excellent too. Definitely hope to buy one in a few years time when I finish my studies :)

As alluded to on so many other threads on here, Limerick really needs more apartments of this ilk. Going by basic economics, the price of the strand apartments are so because there is a demand for them, and there is very little in the way of quality competition. Hopefully (and I remain optimistic), the new developments (Bishops Quay, and Opera) can go some way to supplying this market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

panda100 wrote: »
    I live in The Strand and reckon you'd definitely be looking at €900 currently for a one bed. They could probably get more if they wanted as well.

I found my apartment there on Daft about two years ago but it was a pretty vigorous vetting process. I had to get work, landlord,character references all before moving in :eek:

Thanks so much, that's really helpful. I'd guessed about €900 and even though it's a lot it's not far off Bedford Row prices when you add in the cost of parking there.

I'll call around and try to find out more about the Strand because there's not much online.

A relative of mine owns one and I'd know them well. Feel free to ask any questions. From what I can see they are way above the standard of any other apartments in the city.

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know anything about the Carlton apartments? I was just told about them today, apparently there's some 1 bedroom apartments in there but like the Strand I can't find much online about them!

I rented a one bedroom apartment in the Carlton complex about 10 years ago. They're not in the same league as The Strand, but they are probably better than anywhere else.

Positives
    Very well kept common areas. It's actually like being in a decent hotel.
    Generally well managed.
    Neighbours were all very nice, mostly Central European professional types.
    Central location

Negatives
    Storage heating, therefore poor control of heating, and expensive too.
    The apartments facing the street don't have good windows and are therefore noisy and difficult to heat.
    The roof makes a lot of noise if there's any bit of wind outside. If you're on the 6th floor you'll lose a few nights sleep for this reason.
    There was a common internet network for the whole building and it was shockingly poor.
    Same goes for tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

A friend just moved to Hartstonge Gate apartment on Henry Street and he's paying €950 a month for 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment looks new and good. But I wonder if it's worth 950.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

How times change ...... I remember my flat over looking the estuary and airport ..... one bed flat ..... 3Rd floor and lots of free parking .....
    thirty pounds a month for four years ..... memories ..... :)

zulutango wrote: »
    I rented a one bedroom apartment in the Carlton complex about 10 years ago. They're not in the same league as The Strand, but they are probably better than anywhere else.

Positives
    Very well kept common areas. It's actually like being in a decent hotel.
    Generally well managed.
    Neighbours were all very nice, mostly Central European professional types.
    Central location

Negatives
    Storage heating, therefore poor control of heating, and expensive too.
    The apartments facing the street don't have good windows and are therefore noisy and difficult to heat.
    The roof makes a lot of noise if there's any bit of wind outside. If you're on the 6th floor you'll lose a few nights sleep for this reason.
    There was a common internet network for the whole building and it was shockingly poor.
    Same goes for tv.

That's so helpful, thanks! I'll be sure to ask about all of that if I get to view an apartment there. Hopefully the heating and internet have improved since then :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Anyone have an experiences of the apartments at Grove Island? I'm weighing up options and am looking for a quiet area for studying.

I have looked around UL, but I've heard horror stories about the noise in places like Groody and College Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

A friend just moved to Hartstonge Gate apartment on Henry Street and he's paying €950 a month for 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment looks new and good. But I wonder if it's worth 950.

I moved out of there recently (moving for work) after over 4 years living there. Have to say it's a super location - never had the slightest bit of hassle, and the new owner put a lot of effort/money into renovating the common areas and many of the apartments in the last 18 months.

The rents have really shot up - when I moved in first it was less than €600 for a 2 bedroom (although in fairness the common areas were in awful order). €950 is a bit steep, but probably reflective of the current shortage of decent apartments around town.

Advertisement