Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 218 - Holloway v Aldo 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There is a very clear rule in the charter in regards to accusing fighters of taking PEDs etc - consider this the end of any discussion on the subject and Ngannou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

what next for aldo? He's still only 31 calls to retire are premature. He looks finished as a top fighter in this division though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob316 wrote: »
    what next for aldo? He's still only 31 calls to retire are premature. He looks finished as a top fighter in this division though.
    I don't think he'd close to finished. I think this was simply way too soon for him. He should have beaten up Lamas and got his groove back.
    Halfway through the 3rd, he was flat footed and backing to the cage. I've never seen him do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That 3rd from Max was a thing of beauty, actually felt bad for Jose. The last 2 minutes of Eddie Justin looked like a fight in the pub and I loved it! Eddies cheek looked scary! On TUF, the coaches challenge was 50 (iirc) laps in a swimming pool. Eddie sailed through it while Justin had to give up and start puking, reminded me of the fight. The Eddie pull guard attempt was hilarious.

Also, beaming for Francis, night night Reem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Alvarez’s wife’s voice is something else. Once you focus on it, you can’t focus on anything else. Like the canned laugher in Friends.

Holloway breezed through that, he’s looking better and better each time. Aldo looking like a shadow of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Aldo must be done .......he's looked incredibly weak in these 2 fights with Holloway

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KyleJJE

Holloway was pure class, heading towards GOAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo is still a top level fighter, but he is no longer at that elite level he occupied for so long. You have to credit Max though, he is just undeniably good right now and continuing to improve, a superstar.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »
    ngannou is the real deal imo, overeem won't be engaging too much and if ngannou comes forward it'll be lights out for overeem

eddie justin for me is the hardest fight to call, put a gun to my head and I'll say eddie on pts if it goes the distance, justin gets hit far too much, he's great to
    watch but he's a walking punchbag.

justin a walking punchbag alright, fear for him later on with that fighting style.
    not much you can say about ngannou, gold help miocic :eek:
    fair play to eddie, fought a very smart fight.

I'm delighted both cowboy medeiro and eddie and justin both got fotn

al hassan homasi fight again at 219, another guaranteed war for however long it lasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Holloway was so impressive.

He seems to get a feel for people within the first round or two then just slowly turns up the pace until the opponent drowns in it.

It's a shame that division is relatively stale compared to 155.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just watched this now. I knew Ngannou was big but I wasn't expecting him to make Overeem look small. That KO genuinely shocked me though. So violent.

Holloway is just class. Whatever about "13 seconds", he really makes Aldo look average.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Can't see anyone beating Holloway at FW. He's big for the division and uses his range perfectly. Very deceptive style

Really great card overall, early prelims right up to the main event.

Time for Overeem to hang 'em up. That was one of the most vicious KO's I've see in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Anyone find Joe Rogan's screaming particularly jarring during these fights?

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Anyone find Joe Rogan's screaming particularly jarring during these fights?

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

It was only himself and anik. So maybe its more noticeable without cormiwr or cruz on commentary?

Alvarez wife is jarring

Just read that NGannou hasn't been tested by USADA yet.

Also did anyone see Herb Dean last night saying "I didn't see the eye poke"..... 10 seconds later "I saw you eye poking"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just read that NGannou hasn't been tested by USADA yet.

Tested 15 times in total by USADA according to their database. 11 times this year alone:

https://www.usada.org/testing/results/athlete-test-history/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

He's flat out in the UFC performance centre, be embarrassing if he popped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ngannou is an absolute monster but Stipe is one bad mother****er who wont be afraid.

Will be a great fight but cant see it lasting more than 1 round :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm usually fairly skeptical about athletes and doping in general but I think that people saying Ngannou is doping purely based on his physique are possibly being a bit too presumptuous. There are certain races on earth that do just naturally have amazingly muscular physiques. The people of West Africa and the NZ Maori being two examples.

On that note a trend that I've noticed in a lot of sports is that people who are genetically of west African heritage are coming to represent more and more of the elite level competitors. This would include all African Americans and Afro-Caribbeans since these are the descendants of west African slaves. This has been the case in basketball, American football and sprinting for years. In my lifetime it's also become more and more of the norm in football although obviously they aren't as dominant in that sport yet.

I believe this is due to certain genetic advantages in sporting terms (higher rates of fast-twitch muscle fibres and physiques that are naturally more muscular for example) that these people have over people from elsewhere in the world. I also believe that in time they will represent more and more of the ranks of UFC fighters, especially in the heavier weight categories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It was only himself and anik. So maybe its more noticeable without cormiwr or cruz on commentary?

Alvarez wife is jarring

Haha! It was wonderfullife who pointed that out before the Poirier fight. I had never noticed it before that and now I can't not feckin' notice it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭xtal191

Aldo should move up or retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

In one of Holloway's post fight interviews he said he plans to eventually move up to lightweight, welterweight and then finish his career as a middleweight. He reckons he can be a champ in all those divisions. He may be getting a little bit cocky....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Alvarez fight is what MMA should be..

Stand up, fighting, in your face, clean, honest, committed, technically sound, aesthetically pleasing, and fresh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

cliggg wrote: »
    In one of Holloway's post fight interviews he said he plans to eventually move up to lightweight, welterweight and then finish his career as a middleweight. He reckons he can be a champ in all those divisions. He may be getting a little bit cocky....

He's game as hell but seriously doubt he'd have the power to trouble top 155er's never mind even above that .......he's certainly no McGregor in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

NGannou’s shot, albeit “sloppy” was a monster.

walshb wrote: »
    NGannou’s shot, albeit “sloppy” was a monster.

That was with his weaker hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm usually fairly skeptical about athletes and doping in general but I think that people saying Ngannou is doping purely based on his physique are possibly being a bit too presumptuous. There are certain races on earth that do just naturally have amazingly muscular physiques. The people of West Africa and the NZ Maori being two examples.

On that note a trend that I've noticed in a lot of sports is that people who are genetically of west African heritage are coming to represent more and more of the elite level competitors. This would include all African Americans and Afro-Caribbeans since these are the descendants of west African slaves. This has been the case in basketball, American football and sprinting for years. In my lifetime it's also become more and more of the norm in football although obviously they aren't as dominant in that sport yet.

I believe this is due to certain genetic advantages in sporting terms (higher rates of fast-twitch muscle fibres and physiques that are naturally more muscular for example) that these people have over people from elsewhere in the world. I also believe that in time they will represent more and more of the ranks of UFC fighters, especially in the heavier weight categories.

Citation for research that backs this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

cliggg wrote: »

Justin had no game plan, very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement