Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 218 - Holloway v Aldo 2

Options

Comments

Anyone think the follow up punch after Reem was KO'd was a bit much?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lucky it was glancing. I thought ref bit slow to jump in. He should have been in before the winner got to overeem..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He was quick to get down! Walk off KO wouldve been cooler.

It takes a kind of nasty/ruthless person, and not “sporting ruthless” to try and further wreck someone that you have to know is out for the count..

walshb wrote: »
    It takes a kind of nasty/ruthless person, and not “sporting ruthless” to try and further wreck someone that you have to know is out for the count..

This is why I always loved ole Hunto, He would never punch someone he knew was out.

• Advertisement

There’s been too many those nasty assaults when men are defenseless and out of it..the Henderson/Bisping one really stands out for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Citation for research that backs this up?

I'm not sure which of the points you're referring to but most of the above are my own observations. When I was a kid I wondered how come the majority of NBA players were black, then later on the same question with regard to Olympic sprinters. It was only when I was older than I realised that most of the black populations in the US and UK trace their ancestory back specifically to western Africa.

Then a couple of years ago I read this book which discusses it all in great detail and provides some of the science behind it. It just talks about why the best sprinters come from west Africa (via the US and Carribean), the best distance runners from a few tribes in east africa and basically how some people just have genetic advantages that give them the few % points extra that it takes to make it to the elite levels of competition at the highest levels.

Ariel Helwani asked him about it at the press conference. Ngannou just said basically that he was in reflex mode and wasn't really thinking, just reacting to the situation. Helwani then asked him if he enjoyed the perfect execution of the knockout. Ngannou appears to be still learning english and got confused by this question. He thought that Ariel was continuing to have a go at him and said something like "If it was the other way around he would have done it to me too".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

walshb wrote: »
    There’s been too many those nasty assaults when men are defenseless and out of it..the Henderson/Bisping one really stands out for me..

Rampage has done it a few times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just read that NGannou hasn't been tested by USADA yet.

Don;t believe everything you read. He's one of the most tested athletes this year after Belfort, TJ, Borrinchinga, etc. USADA test exactly who you expect them to test.
    He's flat out in the UFC performance centre, be embarrassing if he popped
    Embarrassing for the UFC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I would add Felder to the list after last night. He clearly felt the tap but instead of at least saying that to the ref who missed it he smashed the guy 6 more times for no real reason. Shocking stuff that i'm very surprised isn't really a talking point today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

cliggg wrote: »
    I would add Felder to the list after last night. He clearly felt the tap but instead of at least saying that to the ref who missed it he smashed the guy 6 more times for no real reason. Shocking stuff that i'm very surprised isn't really a talking point today.

Would disagree with that. That tap wasn't an obvious one. The ref needs to see the tap. What happens if Felder goes to motion to the ref and then gets caught in a sub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Just watched the replay. You are right. He had quit after the first elbow then got nailed in the sane spot 5 or 6 times. Ref missed it but Felder had to have felt it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

There's no way I'd have stopped for it tbh. Looked very much to be a "Brazilian tap".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Mellor wrote: »
    There's no way I'd have stopped for it tbh. Looked very much to be a "Brazilian tap".

Im not familiar with a Brazilian tap. What is it? Like a fake tap obviously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I'm not familiar with that term, could you explain it please?

I'm not sure which of the points you're referring to but most of the above are my own observations. When I was a kid I wondered how come the majority of NBA players were black, then later on the same question with regard to Olympic sprinters. It was only when I was older than I realised that most of the black populations in the US and UK trace their ancestory back specifically to western Africa.

Then a couple of years ago I read this book which discusses it all in great detail and provides some of the science behind it. It just talks about why the best sprinters come from west Africa (via the US and Carribean), the best distance runners from a few tribes in east africa and basically how some people just have genetic advantages that give them the few % points extra that it takes to make it to the elite levels of competition at the highest levels.

Ariel Helwani asked him about it at the press conference. Ngannou just said basically that he was in reflex mode and wasn't really thinking, just reacting to the situation. Helwani then asked him if he enjoyed the perfect execution of the knockout. Ngannou appears to be still learning english and got confused by this question. He thought that Ariel was continuing to have a go at him and said something like "If it was the other way around he would have done it to me too".

I dont think Overeem would have done a follow up punch had he knocked Ngannou out.

I would love to see Hunto v Ngannou. I dont think one punch would put Hunt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Few thoughts on the cards...

Max vs Aldo... Well, Aldo has to be done for now? All this banging on about 'the old Aldo coming back' is obviously all in his head. I saw nothing of the old Aldo there, he never once troubled Max, who in fairness seems to have a chin like granite, but he completely lacked the zip and venom he used to have in his strikes, he just relied on wild exchanges and even then they weren't doing any sort of damage. Aldo looked in trouble the moment the first jab went down his throat. It's a pity.

Reem vs NGannou... That hook tho. :o

Eddie vs JG... Fight of the night for me. Thought Eddie looked comfortable for most of the fight but JG was an absolute terminator and really enjoyed his technical aspects. Far too heavy footed to open up Eddie though.

I'm not familiar with that term, could you explain it please?
    Autochange wrote: »
    Im not familiar with a Brazilian tap. What is it? Like a fake tap obviously?

Pretty much a fake tap. Usually discreet or a single tap to get a reaction.
    A ‘Brazilian Tap’ or a Fake Tap is the act of tapping out just once, or tapping discretely out of the referee’s field of vision, in order to get out of a submission (so the opponent lets go of the hold) and then carrying on fighting and hoping to continue the fight and win.

As Darced said Oliviera knows how to tap properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

darced wrote: »
    Oliviera knows how to tap properly, he was up to no good with those finger taps.

Agree with this completely. I think tapping to strikes needs to be extremely obvious. Fighters will (and should) keep going until stopped

• Advertisement

I dont think Overeem would have done a follow up punch had he knocked Ngannou out.

Course he would've. You keep punching until the ref stops it. Overeem kept throwing at Struve and Dos Santos. He landed 2 or 3 on Struve when he was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Jon Anik I always liked him however no matter how many times he said capacity crowd there were lots of empty seats. Its in his auto playbook and is a bad habbit.

Really good card, wish I put an acca on as I fancied the main 4 fight winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Jon Anik I always liked him however no matter how many times he said capacity crowd there were lots of empty seats. Its in his auto playbook and is a bad habbit.

Really good card, wish I put an acca on as I fancied the main 4 fight winners.

Is he referring to tickets sold?

You see a lot of that now. Sold out arenas in all sports yet seats free everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Did anyone catch what Ngannou said at the very end of his post-fight chat with Joe Rogan? I heard something about slaves in Libya> ?? and then something about Senegal? Could not make out what he said.

Did anyone catch what Ngannou said at the very end of his post-fight chat with Joe Rogan? I heard something about slaves in Libya> ?? and then something about Senegal? Could not make out what he said.

"I want to dedicate this victory to all my brothers in Libya who are treated as slaves on this day. This is not very fair. I feel really bad for that. That is criminal, yo. Excuse me for my words, but I just want to say f**k slavery, f**k racists, f**k racism. Claim the freedom, claim the liberty."

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

The Nal wrote: »
    "I want to dedicate this victory to all my brothers in Libya who are treated as slaves on this day. This is not very fair. I feel really bad for that. That is criminal, yo. Excuse me for my words, but I just want to say f**k slavery, f**k racists, f**k racism. Claim the freedom, claim the liberty."

thanks! Could not make it out. cheers. Ngannou seems like a good dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/TheRealSMA/status/937399039447961601?s=17

Guy streamed Saturday's card pretending to play it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What an event! Holloway must feel a bit robbed at not getting a performance of the night bonus, though. Not to say that the two fights that were awarded 'fight of the night' weren't deserving but still...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Throughly enjoyed that card, some really great fights on it.

Advertisement