Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing emergency lighting

Options
  • 28-11-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

I'm living in a small block (6 apts) with some Ventilux non-maintained emergency lights and some unbranded (maybe Ventilux too) exit signs. I've done some testing and although they do 30 mins ok, they fail to start in colder weather. Their brightness leaves a lot to be desired.

In general, are people bothered replacing the whole light or do they just replace the batteries? As they're non-maintained, power efficiency doesn't come into it but the LEDs are brighter.

This comes up because there's only one recessed light panel on the upper floor and the 2013 I.S. says there's supposed to be two. It's not bright enough to illuminate the pull station which doesn't make me happy so LED would be better there. I'm also not sure we can get away with no external lighting "to a place of safety". There are outside street lights but is that enough? I'm not sure it is strictly but I see plenty of buildings (including public sector ones) that are in no way compliant.

If I'm doing a job, it might be worth doing it properly, especially if the lights aren't that expensive. But once you start adding lights, I guess you have to find someone who has done the course?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

If i remember the duration test is ment to be 3hrs? If you look at the cost of replacement batteries and the age of the fittings(something else might fail soon) vs a new led fitting id just go with new gear.

The lux requirements were very low iirc. In the area of 5 to 10 lux for particular areas over doors and break glasss etc... that was while back tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭carveone

Tuco88 wrote: »
    If i remember the duration test is ment to be 3hrs?

Yes, the quarterly test allows a 30 minute duration but you are absolutely right - to test it properly it should be for 3 hours. Not a hope it'll make it so I didn't even try :P

The advantage of battery replacement is that it's more straightforward. But as you say I might be just putting off the inevitable so I'll start looking at LED fittings. There was an exit sign out and the PCB power connector had desoldered itself from the board! And wires which had been pushed against a power resistor were almost melted through to the conductor. If that's an example, replacement is the safer route!

Besides, I'm not RECI so there's a line there. I can test them but not replace them and trying to save money on the signs is a bit stupid.

PS: the exit signs are units with a plug on them - you pull them and they unplug so you can change the tube. Pretty handy. So when I hurled it in the bin, I didn't cross any reci lines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If the fittings are klicked keep the plugtop and flexes

Will you make all exits maintained ?
    Regarding safe exit, have you a bulkhead at the final external exit ?

You'd have to check it but street lights are good as they are usually off a different supply

Some great emergency led bulkheads out there now.
    Cheaper fittings carry a 1 year warranty, not great but worth changing from T8 or T5 tubes to LEDs
    If the installation was to standard when installed you won't need to upgrade it.

With new powerful LEDs, adding them in, watch the uniformity factor 1:40

The emergency exit fittings are a wired in back half with a socket as part of the moulding and a plug in front end so, unless the maker made a new one with an exact match, I'd have to replace the lot anyway. There's no markings at all on them which I find odd. All "exit" signs are maintained, yes, but they seem ok at the moment (I'll cross fingers and do a 3 hour check!)

The final external exit is a door inside the main external wall. There's wiring there for an external lighting fitting though. I'll have to check about the street lighting - the car park lights are out at the moment but the street lights light the car park so noone is bothered. Which I'd see as a good thing :P

At least the installation seems to standard - all the non-maintained bulkheads are in the proper place with the fire pull very close by. You can see an exit sign no matter where you stand etc. Talking to the mgmt company, they are seeing lots of older apts with no system in at all... That won't be cheap.

I've seen more LED units around now that various buildings are replacing their old ones. Some of them are really cheap looking but others are quite nice. Oh, Ventilux just sent me a quote. Their units aren't all that cheap (70-90 euro each) but they look solid enough. They better be for that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

carveone wrote:
    I've seen more LED units around now that various buildings are replacing their old ones. Some of them are really cheap looking but others are quite nice. Oh, Ventilux just sent me a quote. Their units aren't all that cheap (70-90 euro each) but they look solid enough. They better be for that price!

New LED fittings are far better than the old units, their only function is emergency lighting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

FYI there needs to be an emergency light at all changes in direction, all fire equipment inc extinguishers, changes in floor level (inc steps staircases, ramps) all exit doors (ensuring in no instance would you be bringing people deeper into the building, it’s easily done if your just going through the motions) and also as said at final exit point exterior it’s not ok to rely on street/car park lights as if there was an Esb outage there wouldn’t be any light. Is there a CTU installed currently?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    FYI there needs to be an emergency light at all changes in direction, all fire equipment inc extinguishers, changes in floor level (inc steps staircases, ramps) all exit doors (ensuring in no instance would you be bringing people deeper into the building, it’s easily done if your just going through the motions) and also as said at final exit point exterior it’s not ok to rely on street/car park lights as if there was an Esb outage there wouldn’t be any light. Is there a CTU installed currently?

(Bit late to reply to this, sorry!)

Yes - there's a CTU. I actually asked the local fire station about relying on street lights and they didn't give me an absolute answer (unsurprisingly). Maybe, they said. If we can see it :P One of the street lights is inside the property boundary which is why I asked.

I got a quote of 95 euro per emergency exit to replace them. They are about 40 quid each so that's nearly 60 euro to do the job per unit. I suppose that's what it costs these days - might be better to spend the money on exit point exteriors.

carveone wrote: »
    (Bit late to reply to this, sorry!)

Yes - there's a CTU. I actually asked the local fire station about relying on street lights and they didn't give me an absolute answer (unsurprisingly). Maybe, they said. If we can see it :P One of the street lights is inside the property boundary which is why I asked.

I got a quote of 95 euro per emergency exit to replace them. They are about 40 quid each so that's nearly 60 euro to do the job per unit. I suppose that's what it costs these days - might be better to spend the money on exit point exteriors.

Will the REC who priced it issue you with a compliance cert? If the system hasn’t been maintained your best bet imo Is replace and upgrade the system now then you can maintain it yourself after wards.. id be 100% certain existing street lights or else landlord fed car park lights as emergency lighting. As I say in the event of a fire and the esb pulling the power then you would have no light

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Will the REC who priced it issue you with a compliance cert? If the system hasn’t been maintained your best bet imo Is replace and upgrade the system now then you can maintain it yourself after wards.. id be 100% certain existing street lights or else landlord fed car park lights as emergency lighting. As I say in the event of a fire and the esb pulling the power then you would have no light

I'd hope he would yeah!

I'm evidently trying to pinch pennies when it isn't worth it. And my gut feeling was to replace and upgrade precisely because what you just said - it hasn't been maintained. Argh. Oh well, if I have to cough up then that's what I'll have to do :o Thanks.

carveone wrote: »
    I'd hope he would yeah!

I'm evidently trying to pinch pennies when it isn't worth it. And my gut feeling was to replace and upgrade precisely because what you just said - it hasn't been maintained. Argh. Oh well, if I have to cough up then that's what I'll have to do :o Thanks.
    If it was that would be what I’d do... if you do it right this time and just maintain after wards

• Advertisement
Advertisement