Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV repair issue

Options
  • 28-11-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi
    Bought my mother a 32 inch LG TV in April after her last one went kaput after 15 years.

It was great for six months but broke 2 weeks ago. I brought it back to shop for repair and got it back tonight. The mother was going spare with no TV for 16 days.

However I've just set it up for her and although it works, the colour is awful. Really washed out and horrible colour definition.

Any advice on what I can do? Bring it back to shop? Insist on loan TV until repaired?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you see the picture on it before it was repaired, how did that compare to how it is now?

Where is the tv getting picture from, Sky, Virgin, Virgin analogue, Saorview etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

She gets her TV through Virgin horizon box.

I've tried to adjust but colour is horrible. Before it broke it looked great, really clear.

Can I get money back and but new TV? I don't think she'd cope with no TV again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »
    She gets her TV through Virgin horizon box.

I've tried to adjust but colour is horrible. Before it broke it looked great, really clear.

Can I get money back and but new TV? I don't think she'd cope with no TV again.

No you can't get ask for your money back, if it's a different issue they are entitled to send it away again to check what the problem is and repair it or they may decide to replace it but it's their decision.
    You can refuse their offer but it probably means taking a case to the scc which could take months and it may be seen as unreasonable that you didn't give them a chance to repair it.

As above try a different cable first!

(Just to clarify they are only allowed one attempt to fix a problem. If the same problem reoccurs at any point they must replace or refund the product.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

sugarman wrote: »
    Try change the HDMI/Scart cable? Could be dodgy after plugging it in and out.

They wont give you your money back, your entitled to a repair, exchange or refund under consumer rights but the decision is theirs. I think if its sent off for repair 3 or 4 times, they have to then offer you a refund or at least an exchange.

This 3 repairs thing is a sadly common misconception - I blame the phone shops. OP, you're entitled to seek a refund but I don't expect the retailer will be willing just yet. You can argue that a repair should be permanent and that you don't feel the item is fit for purpose but if the retailer sticks to their guns, you'll need to start SCC proceedings to push for your preferred resolution. I don't think you'd win after just one repair.

Let them repair it again and if it goes awry, that's when you escalate it

Advertisement