Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job hunting

Options
  • 29-11-2017 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was looking at jobs earlier online and this got me thinking. So what I'm wondering, is it still acceptable to go aroud to companies, speaking with managers and handing in C.V.'s?

For instance, a company surely would advertise a position if they were looking for more employees? How would you approach a manager? I suppose I'm just afraid of hearing the standard reply of "I will keep you c.v. on file" which is never good imo. However, having said that, I have been off on sick leave the last few weeks and I feel that I'm well enough, both mentally and physically to go back working now. I decided on a different career to progress into as well.

Thanks for any advice..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi all, I was looking at jobs earlier online and this got me thinking. So what I'm wondering, is it still acceptable to go aroud to companies, speaking with managers and handing in C.V.'s?

For instance, a company surely would advertise a position if they were looking for more employees? How would you approach a manager? I suppose I'm just afraid of hearing the standard reply of "I will keep you c.v. on file" which is never good imo. However, having said that, I have been off on sick leave the last few weeks and I feel that I'm well enough, both mentally and physically to go back working now. I decided on a different career to progress into as well.

Thanks for any advice..

Depends on the role i would think.

For some office job it would be very strange for someone to just turn up at reception looking for a job as generally there are a lot of corporate hoops to jump through to authorise the hiring of a new employee.

Manufacturing might be easier.
    Pubs, restaurants and shops would be fine to just turn up.

If you are looking for office based positions then i would research a specific company and find out who exactly you need to speak to. Call up the reception and ask to be transferred to that person. If you do get through make sure you have short pitch prepared about what you are looking for and your skills that match the role.

Nobody wants to hear "do you have a job any job".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

+1 for BrokenArrows.
    Depends on the job, op. Rule of thumb could be any job that opens it's doors to the public is perfectly acceptable to do so.

There are other ways to do so tho. Never done it myself but I know some that swear by going on LinkedIn and searching up companies. Then following a trail to find someone working in HR then to add them and directly contact them.
    You can be sneaky and start you search by adding anyone from the company. Then add another... and another until you get the right person. LinkedIn also suggests people you may know so it helps in this search.

Another option, which can be costly and sounds silly but it is to post your CV directly to a company. Did it myself years ago :pac: Granted it was only for retail jobs but I too was sick of hearing "we will keep it on file / i'll hand it to the manger" because 90% of the time when you hand a cv into a job it just goes straight under the till to be uncovered 6 months later. I know this because I have been the one to be told to clean up the till. Also another reason why you should always put a date on your cv.

ps, I say costly because stamps are what, 70c these days? post a 100 and that's 70 euro. But hey an investment worth trying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

How would you approach a manager? I suppose I'm just afraid of hearing the standard reply of "I will keep you c.v. on file" which is never good imo.

I'm not sure why you thing that it is never a good... some times it is and some times it is not. Also, don't forget to ask them if they can put you in touch with someone else that might be interested in your skills, even if they do not have something for you themselves.

This is how my son, a young software engineer, always finds new positions. He just knocks on doors until one opens and it usually only takes him a few days to find a new position. But that said he does not take rejection personally, he just moves on to the next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There's a group called Jobnet that meet for I think a six week period and work on referrals. I know a number of people who have got jobs through them including fairly senior ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Depends on the role i would think.

For some office job it would be very strange for someone to just turn up at reception looking for a job as generally there are a lot of corporate hoops to jump through to authorise the hiring of a new employee.

Manufacturing might be easier.
    Pubs, restaurants and shops would be fine to just turn up.

If you are looking for office based positions then i would research a specific company and find out who exactly you need to speak to. Call up the reception and ask to be transferred to that person. If you do get through make sure you have short pitch prepared about what you are looking for and your skills that match the role.

Nobody wants to hear "do you have a job any job".

I see what you're saying..

It was Manufacturing I was really considering!

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you thing that it is never a good... some times it is and some times it is not. Also, don't forget to ask them if they can put you in touch with someone else that might be interested in your skills, even if they do not have something for you themselves.

This is how my son, a young software engineer, always finds new positions. He just knocks on doors until one opens and it usually only takes him a few days to find a new position. But that said he does not take rejection personally, he just moves on to the next door.

I've done this sorta thing when I was in School and I must have handed out a total of 100 c.v.'s and didn't get one reply back, the only reply I received was "thanks for your interest. I'll put your c.v. on file."

Thanks for your input, I'll bare that in mind.. :)

+1 for BrokenArrows.
    Depends on the job, op. Rule of thumb could be any job that opens it's doors to the public is perfectly acceptable to do so.

There are other ways to do so tho. Never done it myself but I know some that swear by going on LinkedIn and searching up companies. Then following a trail to find someone working in HR then to add them and directly contact them.
    You can be sneaky and start you search by adding anyone from the company. Then add another... and another until you get the right person. LinkedIn also suggests people you may know so it helps in this search.

It's medical devises I was considering. I am considering doing training in this in the future. However, I'd prefer a job in this industry prior to doing a course to see if I enjoyed it first. I don't want the same thing to happen again, where I studied in college and then discovered that I didn't enjoy it. That was really a kick in the stomach for me..

I'll try this and see what happens. But personally do you think it may be a bit random receiving a message through LinkedIn? Maybe no, I don't know, as I've never tried it before myself. But anything is worth a try at this stage. Thanks very much for the advice.

Another option, which can be costly and sounds silly but it is to post your CV directly to a company. Did it myself years ago :pac: Granted it was only for retail jobs but I too was sick of hearing "we will keep it on file / i'll hand it to the manger" because 90% of the time when you hand a cv into a job it just goes straight under the till to be uncovered 6 months later. I know this because I have been the one to be told to clean up the till. Also another reason why you should always put a date on your cv.

ps, I say costly because stamps are what, 70c these days? post a 100 and that's 70 euro. But hey an investment worth trying.

I was considering going out in person and trying to speaking to managers directly of different companies which create medical devices. Yeah, that's exactly what I am afraid of happening with the c.v.. I'm kinda at wits end looking for a job now at this stage. It's so disheartening. I applied for so many jobs online, I've been just really applying for anything that I didn't need a degree for and I've every little response back. So going out looking for a job in person is a last resort for me now..

Thanks for the advice none the less..

amtc wrote: »
    There's a group called Jobnet that meet for I think a six week period and work on referrals. I know a number of people who have got jobs through them including fairly senior ones...

I'll look into that, thanks a million for the info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yellowcanary

Have you considered attending networking events. There are lots of events advertised on eventbrite.ie. Also, have you reached out to your personal networks - friends, family perhaps old college friends who may be able to put you in touch with hiring managers in the companies that you would like to work for?

Jobnet is excellent! Definitely contact them to see when the next course is starting :)

Have you read the job hunting book - "What colour is my Parachute?". It is a nice introduction to the jobs market nowadays. Best of luck in your job hunt!

Happy New Year!

Have you considered attending networking events. There are lots of events advertised on eventbrite.ie. Also, have you reached out to your personal networks - friends, family perhaps old college friends who may be able to put you in touch with hiring managers in the companies that you would like to work for?

Jobnet is excellent! Definitely contact them to see when the next course is starting :)

Have you read the job hunting book - "What colour is my Parachute?". It is a nice introduction to the jobs market nowadays. Best of luck in your job hunt!

Happy New Year!

Hi Yellowcanary, I wouldn't be very clued in to the networking side of job hunting if I'm honest.

I'll definitely look into eventbrite and jobnet too. That book also sounds very interesting. I also love to read, so that's a bonus.

Thanks very much for the info. :)

Happy new year to you also. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 yellowcanary

Hi Yellowcanary, I wouldn't be very clued in to the networking side of job hunting if I'm honest.

I'll definitely look into eventbrite and jobnet too. That book also sounds very interesting. I also love to read, so that's a bonus.

Thanks very much for the info. :)

Happy new year to you also. :)

No worries at all! Yes, networking is on new concept for many but in its simplest terms it can just reaching out to contacts to tell them that you are job hunting and ask them to keep an ear out for jobs coming up. You never know what might come of it!

Take care! YC

No worries at all! Yes, networking is on new concept for many but in its simplest terms it can just reaching out to contacts to tell them that you are job hunting and ask them to keep an ear out for jobs coming up. You never know what might come of it!

Take care! YC

Thanks! I see what you're saying!

That's true and it's something that I sometimes over look! So, I'll bare that in mind. :)

I do have a Linkedin profile, although I have no employers messaging me. I'm only receiving notifications of jobs which are posted on Linkedin and recommended by linkedin itself! So, not having much luck there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Take care! YC

Thanks! I see what you're saying!

That's true and it's something that I sometimes over look! So, I'll bare that in mind. :)

I do have a Linkedin profile, although I have no employers messaging me. I'm only receiving notifications of jobs which are posted on Linkedin and recommended by linkedin itself! So, not having much luck there!

Don’t think of your LinkedIn Profile as a once off thing. Pop onto it every day, put a link to a new article in your relevant area, share articles from industry leaders, comment on interesting topics. Use it to get yourself noticed!

Don’t think of your LinkedIn Profile as a once off thing. Pop onto it every day, put a link to a new article in your relevant area, share articles from industry leaders, comment on interesting topics. Use it to get yourself noticed!

So that's how you use it? :o I get up a c.v. and followed a few pharma companies and that's about it!

I really never thought that the managers etc. would care if you commented or added articles etc.

Thanks for that feedback! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

... but I regularly put out information and contact information to around 100 clients as I am a free lance activities supplier/entertainer to care centres for seniors and the work can be very ad hoc.

It is important in some roles esp temporary contract or short term roles to put out feelers in order to drum up business.

Its not cheap and it takes time but there is no alternative in some jobs.

doolox wrote: »
    ... but I regularly put out information and contact information to around 100 clients as I am a free lance activities supplier/entertainer to care centres for seniors and the work can be very ad hoc.

It is important in some roles esp temporary contract or short term roles to put out feelers in order to drum up business.

Its not cheap and it takes time but there is no alternative in some jobs.

Hi doolex. Stamps have indeed gone up to €1! :eek:

Can I ask what you mean by "putting out feelers".. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Putting out feelers just means gently letting people know that you are looking for work, or asking if they could let you know if anything comes up.
    I hope you don’t mind me saying this but you could do with working on your initiative a bit! I feel like we’re holding your hand. Only YOU can make this happen. Give it your full attention and energy and you will find work.

Putting out feelers just means gently letting people know that you are looking for work, or asking if they could let you know if anything comes up.
    I hope you don’t mind me saying this but you could do with working on your initiative a bit! I feel like we’re holding your hand. Only YOU can make this happen. Give it your full attention and energy and you will find work.

Okay, thanks for that!

I hear you. Although in chefin' I'm used to going for trials and working for the day and getting a job that way. So I'm just wasn't aware of what ye mentioned, as I'm planning on changing to a completely different industry. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: I also want to thank everyone for helping me out and given me advice. It is very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Stamps cost bloody 1 euro now?! How can anyone justify a jump from 72c to 1 euro?
    Like ok, granted it doesn't hit the average joe too much as how often do people send a lot of letters these days? But as for businesses, or especially small businesses or sole traders, it just's too much. It's nothing to send out 100 letters and maybe you would get 1 or 2 ringing you for your services.

Stamps cost bloody 1 euro now?! How can anyone justify a jump from 72c to 1 euro?
    Like ok, granted it doesn't hit the average joe too much as how often do people send a lot of letters these days? But as for businesses, or especially small businesses or sole traders, it just's too much. It's nothing to send out 100 letters and maybe you would get 1 or 2 ringing you for your services.

Yes, they did since the end of November/start of December. I was considering to drop in to each company and speak with the manager. Would this be a better approach? I haven't looked for a job from a company who warn't recruiting. So I've no experience of doing this.

Thanks very much for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

Hi OP, loads of medical device companies in Galway if you would consider working there. You should call companies and ask how they do their recruiting and do it that way, probably through agency and online through jobs websites. Subscribing to job websites is a must. I wouldn't drop in to talk to managers. This direct approach just won't get you anywhere today. Managers won't come out to talk to strangers who dropped in. The surprised receptionist at best will just tell you to apply online. If you're not getting replies to applications you could call them to enquire how your application is going and if you get a negative response then ask for feedback to help you improve with future applications in other companies. That's how I found out that 10 years in retail was really off putting for them. (Maybe something in your applications is putting them off). So I changed my cover letter and tweaked my CV to spin retail into an advantage and soon got interviews and then offers. Been working in a medical company now for the last 7 months. Keep at it, the jobs are there, good luck.

Hi Razzler, Thanks for your reply.
    razzler wrote: »
    Hi OP, loads of medical device companies in Galway if you would consider working there. You should call companies and ask how they do their recruiting and do it that way, probably through agency and online through jobs websites. Subscribing to job websites is a must.

Moving to Galway is a possibility. It's something to consider indeed. However, I'm not in a bad location at the moment. As I'm 20 from both Sligo town and Carrick-on-shannon. Each locations have a good few pharmaceutical companies.

I have never even considered an agency. I'm aware what they do and that. But I felt that since I'm coming from a culinary background and looking to get into pharmaceutical companies I assumed they may not have anything for me.

As for the job websites, I am keeping an eye on and subscribed to indeed.ie, Monster and IrishJobs.ie. However, I've not come across many pharma jobs in the last 7 weeks.
    I wouldn't drop in to talk to managers. This direct approach just won't get you anywhere today. Managers won't come out to talk to strangers who dropped in. The surprised receptionist at best will just tell you to apply online. If you're not getting replies to applications you could call them to enquire how your application is going and if you get a negative response then ask for feedback to help you improve with future applications in other companies.

I was willing to call in to the company in person. As I thought that this may show initiative and an interest. However, I see your point.

Since I started looking for a job in the pharma industry I have come across one job in manufacturing. Which I applied for, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. But that's all I've come across.
    That's how I found out that 10 years in retail was really off putting for them. (Maybe something in your applications is putting them off). So I changed my cover letter and tweaked my CV to spin retail into an advantage and soon got interviews and then offers.

That's a good point to make. I suppose you have to look at it from their point of view and try to make the past experience relevant to the position that you're applying. I'll review my C.V. and cover letter and tweek it abit. :)
    Been working in a medical company now for the last 7 months. Keep at it, the jobs are there, good luck.

Very good, How do you like it? :)

Hi Razzler, Thanks for your reply.

Moving to Galway is a possibility. It's something to consider indeed. However, I'm not in a bad location at the moment. As I'm 20 from both Sligo town and Carrick-on-shannon. Each locations have a good few pharmaceutical companies.

I have never even considered an agency. I'm aware what they do and that. But I felt that since I'm coming from a culinary background and looking to get into pharmaceutical companies I assumed they may not have anything for me.

As for the job websites, I am keeping an eye on and subscribed to indeed.ie, Monster and IrishJobs.ie. However, I've not come across many pharma jobs in the last 7 weeks.

I was willing to call in to the company in person. As I thought that this may show initiative and an interest. However, I see your point.

Since I started looking for a job in the pharma industry I have come across one job in manufacturing. Which I applied for, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. But that's all I've come across.

That's a good point to make. I suppose you have to look at it from their point of view and try to make the past experience relevant to the position that you're applying. I'll review my C.V. and cover letter and tweek it abit. :)

Very good, How do you like it? :)

Since I last posted, I have registered with two job recruitment agencies.

I've never been with an agency before, so I'm not too sure what to expect. However, I am hopefully this will result in more opportunists.

Advertisement