Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK bank account - living in Ireland

• 29-11-2017 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I worked in the UK 25 years ago and had a bank account there. I've kept it open as it's handy to withdraw cash when over there or up north. I've got a letter in the last few weeks asking me to confirm place of residence - required to share with tax authorities in the UK and Ireland.

I've never more than £1,000 in it (at best of times) and earn little interest - as I said it's just handy to have. However I'm beginning to realise I might be liable for tax on my (tiny) earnings! Should I close my account or is there another way to declare this formally to Revenue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BarneyMc wrote: »
    I worked in the UK 25 years ago and had a bank account there. I've kept it open as it's handy to withdraw cash when over there or up north. I've got a letter in the last few weeks asking me to confirm place of residence - required to share with tax authorities in the UK and Ireland.

I've never more than £1,000 in it (at best of times) and earn little interest - as I said it's just handy to have. However I'm beginning to realise I might be liable for tax on my (tiny) earnings! Should I close my account or is there another way to declare this formally to Revenue?

Revenue did a publicity campaign on issues like this earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Revenue did a publicity campaign on issues like this earlier this year.

So contact Revenue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i got a coulple of those letter aswell because i have an account in ulster bank in the north, they were handy for lighting the fire, it's none of there business where i'm tax resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

If you have been a PAYE worker in the UK or self employed and payed tax there, what would revenue be going after you for? How can they tax money twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

my account in the north is free no charges what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BarneyMc wrote: »
    So contact Revenue?

Perhaps read this first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

What tax would be owed? Dirt? The amounts round be minuscule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

gustafo wrote: »
    i got a coulple of those letter aswell because i have an account in ulster bank in the north, they were handy for lighting the fire, it's none of there business where i'm tax resident.

Actually it is, because there are tax withholdings on the interest income which are dependant on residence position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Actually it is, because there are tax withholdings on the interest income which are dependant on residence position.

Given present interest rates revenue probably isn’t going to investigate people with a messily grand and the 1€ a year they make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I declared mine and paid about 4c in tax through revenues website.

Ulster Bank keep sending me letters that I need to send a signed photocopy of my passport to them to prove residency. I've refused point blank to send a copy of my passport through standard mail in their freepost envelope.

Advertisement