Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh Marathon 2018

Options
  • 29-11-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭

I think (know) that Santy is getting me an entry for this.

Course looks pretty boring with an out and back accounting for 2/3 of it.

First few miles is downhill and rest is mostly flat so looks like a PB potential marathon.

Anyone else done it and have advice or considering it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I done it last year, I believe there is a slight change wit the start this year, from about 15 to finish it was out and back. Good Marathon, very hot that time of year though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Have never done it, but it tends to be the only hot weekend in Edinburgh all year! (can be windy along the coast sometimes too).

Stirling marathon is a month earlier and could be an alternative - that does have some repeat lapping at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

I just signed up for this yesterday. I have never ran this race but Edinburgh is my home town so know the lay of the land pretty well if anyone is looking for tips.

Like folks said...could be hot, could be windy but course is potentially fast.

What plans are any if you thinking about for this? I did P&D 18/55 for Berlin with good results. In two minds whether to go for something similar or look to do more variety with a Hansons plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Any Edinburgh veterans have any advice for getting back to Edinburgh at the finish. I know there are shuttle buses, but I believe they are a disaster and that normal public transport is faster. Can't find info about it though, so if anyone can shed light, that would be great.

Stupid hamstring tear is curtailing me after 10 weeks of not missing a session. Grrrr

Jump on the normal city buses. They are just outside the finish. Only a few quid aswell

• Advertisement

Jump on the normal city buses. They are just outside the finish. Only a few quid aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Like ISOP says, Lothian bus - 26 bus Musselburgh-Edinburgh is very frequent and £1.70 single (have exact change). Or you could loosen the muscles out by walking to Musselburgh train station - just 10mins journey into town on rail from there.

Thanks folks - Hopefully there will be plenty heading for the public buses and I can follow the herd!

The feedback on the shuttles seems atrocious with the main gripe being the distance from the finish line. You'd think they could solve that puzzle but it doesnt appear so

Thanks folks - Hopefully there will be plenty heading for the public buses and I can follow the herd!

The feedback on the shuttles seems atrocious with the main gripe being the distance from the finish line. You'd think they could solve that puzzle but it doesnt appear so
    you can't miss the lothian buses, right outside the exit of the finish area

ISOP wrote: »
    you can't miss the lothian buses, right outside the exit of the finish area

Appreciate your info - last thing I wanted to be doing after the marathon is traipsing around!

• Advertisement

Appreciate your info - last thing I wanted to be doing after the marathon is traipsing around!
    I know what you are saying, I had to traipse up to the other bus last year completely knackered

Good to see a few others are running this. How's the training been going?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Heading over as well to take part. No idea how I'll fare as it'll be towards the tail end of 3 months of non stop races and pacing gigs (not to mention pacing Cork soon afterwards).
    But looking forward to a long weekend away, bit of a run in the middle, and copious amounts of hard liquor afterwards.

Good to see a few others are running this. How's the training been going?

Training had been going great - no missed sessions since January but a torn hamstring has curtailed my faster sessions and limited me to LSR pace. Physio tonight will hopefully be good news.

I need the speed work to get faster as I want a PB (Ideally)

Training had been going great - no missed sessions since January but a torn hamstring has curtailed my faster sessions and limited me to LSR pace. Physio tonight will hopefully be good news.

I need the speed work to get faster as I want a PB (Ideally)

I hope the injury clears up in the next few weeks. It's definitely a course that you could PB on. A lot might depend on the weather, Edinburgh usually gets its whole summer on a random May weekend. Hope it doesn't this year.

So I eventually got around to reading the race info pack and was annoyed to see there are no pacers and no live tracking.

Very disappointing for a marathon of this size.

So I eventually got around to reading the race info pack and was annoyed to see there are no pacers and no live tracking.

Very disappointing for a marathon of this size.

Yeah, that's pretty poor. I've not read any of that. Anything else jump out?

Yeah, that's pretty poor. I've not read any of that. Anything else jump out?

No live tracking either which obviously wont bother me, but my family are disappointed.

How did everyone get on?

I was targeting sub 3:30, and training had gone well aside from a torn hamstring and some missed speed sessions as a result.

Was going great until mile 23 but still ahead of target. I was bang on target at mile 24 but that was the end of me! Died a bit and finished in 3:32.

Full race report to follow (Mainly for myself to read back and learn lessons)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

Well done on completing it, The Davestrator. I WISH I could get anywhere near your time. How did you find the weather? I did the 10k on the Saturday and was moaning about how chilly it was standing around at the start. Then I saw how it was on the Sunday and felt very sorry for everyone lining up for the big race.

• Advertisement

biketard wrote: »
    Well done on completing it, The Davestrator. I WISH I could get anywhere near your time. How did you find the weather? I did the 10k on the Saturday and was moaning about how chilly it was standing around at the start. Then I saw how it was on the Sunday and felt very sorry for everyone lining up for the big race.

Thanks!
    Although I WISH I could run faster too (everyone probably does)

Weather wasn't as big a factor as I expected - headwind for a while on the way out was a little tough but it was more frequently a cross wind. I think I found the heat harder when I had no breeze on my face on the way back. It wasn't overly warm for me until the last few mile and it felt like a dead heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

How did everyone get on?

I was targeting sub 3:30, and training had gone well aside from a torn hamstring and some missed speed sessions as a result.

Was going great until mile 23 but still ahead of target. I was bang on target at mile 24 but that was the end of me! Died a bit and finished in 3:32.

Full race report to follow (Mainly for myself to read back and learn lessons)

As I kinda expected it was a step too far for me. 5 marathons since Paddys day; 3 raced, 2 paced and a handful of shorter races inbetween; meant that this was never going to pan out, and once I managed hit the halfway stage in a decent pace around 1.29, the legs were shot to pieces. Absolutely nothing left in body or mind at that point, so it was time to sit back and enjoy the run.
    Similar outcome to Limerick i.e. finished around 3.11 in the end, but a completely different bonk. Limerick was absolute heat exhaustion, this was just sheer exhaustion. The course is great though and the weather was just about perfect for the time of year. Nicely overcast with a good breeze into the face for the first 20 miles. Agree with the above though, it got sticky and clammy when it was at your back for the end.
    Pacing 3.45 in Cork next weekend for my sins, and its time for a break from the road for a while then. We'll regroup and attack Dublin in October again.

Hey folks, just got my legs back after a few twitchy days. Things went great. I settled on going for a 3:03, went through the half in 1:30:30 and brought it home for a 2:59:26. Felt great overall although the first few k into the wind had me questioning things early on. Settled down up to the turn at 28k and then picked up the pace. Couldn't believe I held it together so well. I was sure the wheels were going to come off. Here's a strava link if your interested. https://www.strava.com/activities/1599277950

Overall I realy enjoyed the race weekend. There is still a lot I think they can improve on but it has the makings of a great event. If they sorted the transport (I got lucky and jumped on a city bus right outside finish area), include a bit more of the city centre in the course and improve the tracking etc I think it could become a big destination race.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Hey folks, just got my legs back after a few twitchy days. Things went great. I settled on going for a 3:03, went through the half in 1:30:30 and brought it home for a 2:59:26. Felt great overall although the first few k into the wind had me questioning things early on. Settled down up to the turn at 28k and then picked up the pace. Couldn't believe I held it together so well. I was sure the wheels were going to come off. Here's a strava link if your interested. https://www.strava.com/activities/1599277950

Overall I realy enjoyed the race weekend. There is still a lot I think they can improve on but it has the makings of a great event. If they sorted the transport (I got lucky and jumped on a city bus right outside finish area), include a bit more of the city centre in the course and improve the tracking etc I think it could become a big destination race.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Great running!

Agree with you about the above - it has potential but missing 'standard' things like tracking and pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

Wow! Well done, highlandcow!

Advertisement