Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please!! Gifts for ladies in creche

Options
  • 29-11-2017 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey,
    I hope this doesn't come across as being mean or stingy, but I have a toddler in creche for only few hours a week and I'm seeing a lot of posts on fb about buying gifts for the ladies in there.. In my one there up to 5 different people when I go in most weeks on rotation obviously, depending on number of children.. But I think its rididculios to be buying wine or other gifts for a number of different people there.. I'm on a very tight budget, hard enough to but money aside for essentials never mind buying gifts for 4 or 5 people when I'm already paying good money in fees..I just think its crazy show off type of thing that puts pressure on others.. Then again I don't want to be seen as not appreciating the girls in there cause I really do..
    Please don't judge me as being mean as I'm the complete opposite..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am actually pondering this for my little one's playschool.

I was thinking maybe some homemade cakes?( for something different?).Decorated nicely?
    Or is that a bit ridiculous?We are the same she has 5/6 "teachers" in her room and I feel I should get something that could be shared.Would that idea work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

shesty wrote: »
    I am actually pondering this for my little one's playschool.

I was thinking maybe some homemade cakes?( for something different?).Decorated nicely?
    Or is that a bit ridiculous?We are the same she has 5/6 "teachers" in her room and I feel I should get something that could be shared.Would that idea work for you?

Yes, now that sounds much better than buying 6 bottles of wine haha. That's actually a lovely idea..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Do you think so?I just thought they could share them out (I don't know how much interaction she has with all the teachers so I was a bit reluctant to buy them all something), and I didn't want to go way over the top.But I w asn't sure would it be a bit odd!But then I always appreciate cake when it's offered so.....!!!!!

shesty wrote: »
    Do you think so?I just thought they could share them out (I don't know how much interaction she has with all the teachers so I was a bit reluctant to buy them all something), and I didn't want to go way over the top.But I w asn't sure would it be a bit odd!But then I always appreciate cake when it's offered so.....!!!!!

Yep, I definetly think its a lovely idea and its what I'll be doing now that you gave me the idea.. The point you make about the interaction with all in creche is correct.. I only know off 2 ladies who are fantastic when I arrive with my little lad and one if them always gives me feedback when I come to collect..my boy is only new there too and an only child and the idea of bringing in wine, chocolates, which have been suggested on groups I'm on, sounds too much and expensive when likes of me struggle weekly on budget...

Happy Xmas (haha, hope its not too early)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The cakes are a good idea, or else a nice box of chocolates that they could share. It's nuts to be having to buy multiple presents for 5+ staff, Christmas is expensive enough. I bought a present for my son's playschool teacher and the assistant, but it was just those two working there, so the kids saw them every day. In his primary school now they have a rule where they ask parents specifically NOT to buy gifts for the teachers/assistants etc because it gets so expensive. The parents association runs a collection so if parents want to throw a fiver or tenner into that, they can.

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    The cakes are a good idea, or else a nice box of chocolates that they could share. It's nuts to be having to buy multiple presents for 5+ staff, Christmas is expensive enough. I bought a present for my son's playschool teacher and the assistant, but it was just those two working there, so the kids saw them every day. In his primary school now they have a rule where they ask parents specifically NOT to buy gifts for the teachers/assistants etc because it gets so expensive. The parents association runs a collection so if parents want to throw a fiver or tenner into that, they can.

Yeah so true, wish they all had a policy in place because I think it crazy to arrive with gifts for each 'teacher' and there could be up to 5 in a room.. Trust me I'm seeing fb posts of mothers saying buy the wine offer which is 6 for price of 4 or something and walking into creches with crates of wine.. Its pressure that's not needed this time of year for most people if not all whether admitted or not.. When I was in school, we made cards or pictures now its bottles or wine, new bridge items, vouchers.. Just makes me laugh

I actually think a lot of primary shools have that no present policy now, I seem to remember hearing someting about that before.And at least with primary school,it's just one teacher.With playschools and creches, it's a alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My lbs school has the same policy. I’m sure they no more want thirty (or however many) bottles of wine and boxes of chocs than the man in the moon.
    Something to share is a good idea. You could even buy something like a nice set of mugs for the staff room, or some kind of Christmas decoration if you didn’t want to do cake. Though cake is always good. I like cake a bit too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My lbs school has the same policy. I’m sure they no more want thirty (or however many) bottles of wine and boxes of chocs than the man in the moon.
    Something to share is a good idea. You could even buy something like a nice set of mugs for the staff room, or some kind of Christmas decoration if you didn’t want to do cake. Though cake is always good. I like cake a bit too much!

jlm29 wrote: »

You see, I was in this thinking until I was looking at parenting sites where staff themselves where saying they do appreciate an aul bottle of wine AND chocolates.. Just sounds crazy to me and I posted here for reassurance that my mindset wasn't being mean or hard up looking... I honestly appreciate and respect childcare workers immensely, but the idea of spending possibly 30 euro is something I simply cannot afford that... I just hope I'm not the odd one out for sending in a heartfelt card with meaning and some cakes to share over coffee instead of a possible 6 bottles of fecking wine...

Tks to the first poster to my comment for cakes suggestion, amazing how being a busy mammy/parent can affect your thinking process to come up with ideas hahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I'm not a mammy so I'm afraid I've no proper advice to give here really but just a thought I had when I seen the thread title was " jesus Shur why would you be gifting anything to a creche, childcare is so expensive!"
    I certainly don't think you are being stingy but I know a thank you cards is always lovely to receive.
    The mugs for staffroom is a nice idea to be honest I personally would never eat something homemade from a household I have never been in!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I got little sets in boots (3 for 2) and will give to girls in room to say thank you. They do a great job and it’s jusy a token. It’s not to show off or put pressure on other parents. I’m just doing it as a thank you. I’ll do it discreetly.

bertsmom wrote: »
    I'm not a mammy so I'm afraid I've no proper advice to give here really but just a thought I had when I seen the thread title was " jesus Shur why would you be gifting anything to a creche, childcare is so expensive!"
    I certainly don't think you are being stingy but I know a thank you cards is always lovely to receive.
    The mugs for staffroom is a nice idea to be honest I personally would never eat something homemade from a household I have never been in!

I didn't title the thread 'jesus Shur why would you be gifting anything to a creche, childcare is so expensive!"?? I'm little confused, excuse me if I'm being thick hahaha.. I have mentioned its a really hard job they have and immensely appreciate them taking great care of my son but I'm not in a financial position to basically keep up with the popular crowd if you get me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Childcare workers are paid terribly

Chattymummy apologies I wrote that post as I was speaking I had meant that when I first read the thread title I was wondering why anyone would be buying gifts for a creche as I had always thought of it as a very expensive service for parents.
    I don't mean to take from the work that the people who work in the creche do and I do know they are probably not highly paid but it's just such an expensive time of year for people anyway I didn't imagine it to be a 'thing'.
    As I said though I am not a parent and I know my sister used to always think it a bit mad when her kids were in primary school that parents sent in gifts, she used to just roll her eyes lol.

pc7 wrote: »
    I got little sets in boots (3 for 2) and will give to girls in room to say thank you. They do a great job and it’s jusy a token. It’s not to show off or put pressure on other parents. I’m just doing it as a thank you. I’ll do it discreetly.

No I think it was just the tone of the responses I was looking at on parenting sites from both parents and childminders in creches.. Few suggestion where to buy 6 bottles of wine cause sure there on offer, that's my main query in this thread, is that what is expected.. What you have suggested is lovely too but unfortunately my situation is different, where my son is part time sessional, so there could be up to 6 childminders when I arrive and pick up depending on group numbers.. Again I don't want to come across as anything other than a first time mammy who is learning daily on what the norm is compared to years ago when I was a child.. Also note my son only started few weeks back so I'm completely new to all of this hahaha.. Gawd I've a long road ahead in learning I feel...

Chattymummy apologies I wrote that post as I was speaking I had meant that when I first read the thread title I was wondering why anyone would be buying gifts for a creche as I had always thought of it as a very expensive service for parents.
    I don't mean to take from the work that the people who work in the creche do and I do know they are probably not highly paid but it's just such an expensive time of year for people anyway I didn't imagine it to be a 'thing'.
    As I said though I am not a parent and I know my sister used to always think it a bit mad when her kids were in primary school that parents sent in gifts, she used to just roll her eyes lol.

No problem at all haha, tired mammy here too so I misread your thread too..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If he’s only in a few weeks I wouldn’t be giving a gift. For me it’s a four day a week job they do and have done for over 2 years. They have a good relationship with the kids and I appreciate it. Also appreciate they are paid peanuts. Again it’s just a token.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I didn't title the thread 'jesus Shur why would you be gifting anything to a creche, childcare is so expensive!"?? I'm little confused, excuse me if I'm being thick hahaha.. I have mentioned its a really hard job they have and immensely appreciate them taking great care of my son but I'm not in a financial position to basically keep up with the popular crowd if you get me..

Childcare is very expensive and you pay for the service. I am a primary school
    teacher myself and I don't like getting presents from children at Christmas. The parents who give presents mean well, but the children of some parents who don't feel out of the loop. We have a" no present" policy but some parents disregard the rule and some teachers just love showing how popular they think they are by off their presents.

One of the nicest presents I ever got was lovely baked cake by mum and her son.

But the best present I have gotten was from a mum and dad wanting to speak to me before Christmas ..... I was quaking in my boots! I thought they wanted to give out to me. But they just wanted to thank me for the work I did with their son.

Long rant....but kind words are better than any present ever. Kind words stay with you for a lifetime and sometimes you'll never really remember who gave you a present.

Aineoil wrote:
    Childcare is very expensive and you pay for the service. I am a primary school teacher myself and I don't like getting presents from children at Christmas. The parents who give presents mean well, but the children of some parents who don't feel out of the loop. We have a" no present" policy but some parents disregard the rule and some teachers just love showing how popular they think they are by off their presents.

Aineoil wrote:
    But the best present I have gotten was from a mum and dad wanting to speak to me before Christmas ..... I was quaking in my boots! I thought they wanted to give out to me. But they just wanted to thank me for the work I did with their son.

Aineoil wrote:
    Childcare is very expensive and you pay for the service. I am a primary school teacher myself and I don't like getting presents from children at Christmas. The parents who give presents mean well, but the children of some parents who don't feel out of the loop. We have a" no present" policy but some parents disregard the rule and some teachers just love showing how popular they think they are by off their presents.

Aineoil wrote:
    Long rant....but kind words are better than any present ever. Kind words stay with you for a lifetime and sometimes you'll never really remember who gave you a present.

Aineoil wrote:

That is so lovely!! I'm sure your little students appreciate how nice you seem and it's so nice that your not swayed by the biggest and best gift, you seem really sympathetic to parents who perhaps can't afford to give gifts.
    I used to worry my sisters kids would be looked at a little differently due to her never giving gifts to teachers but she's a chef with sometimes not enough shifts to be able afford luxuries and I suspect she just didn't feel the need. I hope they had teachers as kind as you😊

• Advertisement

Aineoil wrote: »
    Childcare is very expensive and you pay for the service. I am a primary school
    teacher myself and I don't like getting presents from children at Christmas. The parents who give presents mean well, but the children of some parents who don't feel out of the loop. We have a" no present" policy but some parents disregard the rule and some teachers just love showing how popular they think they are by off their presents.

Tks, you sound like an amazing teacher, well done cause it sure is not easy job you have.. I couldn't do it and that's for sure..

That is so lovely!! I'm sure your little students appreciate how nice you seem and it's so nice that your not swayed by the biggest and best gift, you seem really sympathetic to parents who perhaps can't afford to give gifts.
    I used to worry my sisters kids would be looked at a little differently due to her never giving gifts to teachers but she's a chef with sometimes not enough shifts to be able afford luxuries and I suspect she just didn't feel the need. I hope they had teachers as kind as you😊

Your so right.. Faith in the human race restored hahaha.. Kind words are the best gift. Costs nothing to appreciate with words, its sometimes lost in this mad world we live in these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

At my lg's creche, any gifts received are all put in together and then the staff do a raffle of sorts.

I brought in chocolates last year, ended being 2 boxes on the floor of about 60 boxes!!! Never again.

This year I'm getting a voucher for the girl that looks after my girl the most. She adores her and has really blossomed from being around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I used to worry my sisters kids would be looked at a little differently due to her never giving gifts to teachers but she's a chef with sometimes not enough shifts to be able afford luxuries and I suspect she just didn't feel the need. I hope they had teachers as kind as you��

I get more than well paid for the job I do. Well it's not just a job...I really love what that I do and I love the children. I just feel, why would anyone need to give me a present?

Parents shouldn't give gifts to teachers. We are well paid for what we do.

Children are miracles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I get more than well paid for the job I do. Well it's not just a job...I really love what that I do and I love the children. I just feel, why would anyone need to give me a present?

Children are miracles.

Do you work in a creche?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

The school I teach in has a no presents policy which is great. I buy small gifts for the key staff in my children’s rooms at crèche, there’s no such policy there. I don’t feel obliged to do it, I see it as a small token of thanks to the ladies who see as much of my children on a working day as I do and who take such good care of them. My children love the staff and most days bounce in the door to see then. I have three kids under four so between them we have six staff to buy for. My eldest will make a card to give her teacher too. I’ll buy a box of biscuits/chocs for the staff room and then pick up a small little gift for each of the staff directly involved with my kids. If the kids had just started in the crèche I’d leave it at a box of chocolates or a cake and a card for the whole staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Children are miracles.

I’m a primary school teacher too but did a little crèche work one summer when I was in college, I also have a cousin who works in a crèche. We are well paid, in general crèche workers aren’t. They work a lot longer hours than us too. Obviously I’m not saying that you should have to give them a gift because they aren’t well paid but just pointing out that a primary school teacher and crèche worker certainly aren’t on the same salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Don't know anything about babies/creches/wages for childcare workers etc, but I'm wading in anyway...

Honest opinion, make a cake if that suits you. Another poster mentioned they might eat something from an unknown source - but;

Wine? Not everyone drinks wine. Some people don't drink alcohol at all.

Chocolates? Could be vegan/lactose intolerant/doing slimming world?

Those "Boots Gift Sets", some people have allergies to certain soaps, and may dislike stinky bath bombs or candles.

Make the cake, or mince pies, or buy a tin of biscuits or sweets for them to share in the staff room. Please don't get stressed about what the others are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

jlm29 wrote: »

Beg to differ! :D My mother was a lollipop lady for years in a local school, and at Christmas every year she would be laden down with biscuits and choccies and wine. It's only in the last couple of years since she retired that we've had to buy our own Christmas goodies :D Op, I'm going to be getting a very small cheap present for my sons montessori teacher who to be fair has been brilliant, but I'll try to get something meaningful. Try notonthehighstreet.com or thecraftygiraffe.co.uk for small gifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My friend told me that all the presents get put together and divided out in her creche.

I am secondary school teacher and any type of food goes down such a treat in the staffroom!! Again we don’t expect anything. One of the tastiest things was cheese and crackers ;)

Op it’s no biggy if you get a present or not!

Advertisement