Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please!! Gifts for ladies in creche

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

See my mum is a primary school teacher and honestly, some of the stuff she has come home with over the years.....the so-called Celtic Tiger years were ridiculous, she would come home laden with stuff twice a year.It was only when I moved out, I realised that I had to start buying my own boxes of Christmas sweets and the like!!!However I know how much they all appreciate cake or the odd box of sweets in her staffroom, hence my thinking.In our case, my little girl has five or six teachers in her playschool room, and I get the impression there is just one who is kind of assigned to look after her as I hear most about her.But she does tell me on and off about the others too, and a different one again does early morning care with her for 30 mins or so.I just can't buy them all something (and I don't know all their names!!!) so I was trying to come up with something to share.It's not a creche, it's a playschool specifically.
    I've seen some small cake businesses are doing gifts of cakes for teachers too, if you had qualms about baking yourself, you might be able to order them for a tenner or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I can only echo what others have said also. My Mam is a primary school teacher too, although in the last few years a school principal so the gifts changed a bit but she always said the gifts with a bit of thought meant the most. She used to come home with some amount of soap gift sets and tins of biscuits and there really was no need!

People can be really thoughtful, when I had my two daughters some pupils Mams and Grannies actually knit gorgeous little cardigans and gave them to my Mam for the girls!! So lovely and definitely the type of things you remember.

She’s had some lovely cards written to her over the years with very nice messages of thanks that have meant a lot, also a few Home made biscuits, candles etc

I’ve always had mine in a Child minder but last year when my daughter was doing her ecce I sent in some rocky road and brownies. I gave her room teacher a separate bottle of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

The creche my little boy is in is great + I will be getting a nice present for his key worker. They go over + above for what they do + are paid very little in comparison to primary school teachers. Each to there own but I don't think it's right to suggest if you get them a nice present it's just to keep up with the Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

appledrop wrote: »
    The creche my little boy is in is great + I will be getting a nice present for his key worker. They go over + above for what they do + are paid very little in comparison to primary school teachers. Each to there own but I don't think it's right to suggest if you get them a nice present it's just to keep up with the Jones.

I think you have misread my comments and query!.. I agree with everything you said about all who work in creches, this is why I was reluctant asking, I did not want my question yo undermine anyone.. From my personal experience on local parent groups, from people I know, people are suggesting buying 6 bottles of wine and chocolates.. I think a personal gift to whoever is assigned to our children should get a token of appreciation, but my son just started beginning of october and his my first child and I'm a bit late to the game, so am out of touch with what is the norm these days.. My son could have up to 6 ladies in the toddler room.. I simply cannot afford to buys 6 presents and i did not want me or my son to feel like the odd balls out, if you get me... Is it gone like america where everyone is tipped.?...
    Again my question did not mean to offend anyone.. And the comment on keeping up with Jones, come on, are you telling me there aren't people just doing things to say ohh look at me aren't I great.. Its very hard mingling with some parents, like a click.. But hey ho, a mamma here trying to figure the hard game of parenting and all that goes with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Hi OP. I work in a preschool with two others. We do get presents from some parents but not all. It's lovely to get them but we definitely don't expect them nor would we think any less of the parents or children who don't give us a present. Over the years the presents I remember are the cards saying nice things about me and thanking me for specific things I might have helped their child with. Being patient with a child who had behavioral issues, being kind to a very timid child etc. A parent simply acknowledging in a card that we care about their children and do our best to make sure they have a good experience in school means so much.
    It's hard being a parent sometimes but don't be stressing about this honestly. You do you as they say, don't worry about what the rest do.
    Perhaps a homemade cake /biscuits for the room and a card for the staff member your child mentions most and don't spend another minute worrying about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Hi OP. I work in a preschool with two others. We do get presents from some parents but not all. It's lovely to get them but we definitely don't expect them nor would we think any less of the parents or children who don't give us a present. Over the years the presents I remember are the cards saying nice things about me and thanking me for specific things I might have helped their child with. Being patient with a child who had behavioral issues, being kind to a very timid child etc. A parent simply acknowledging in a card that we care about their children and do our best to make sure they have a good experience in school means so much.
    It's hard being a parent sometimes but don't be stressing about this honestly. You do you as they say, don't worry about what the rest do.
    Perhaps a homemade cake /biscuits for the room and a card for the staff member your child mentions most and don't spend another minute worrying about it.

Tk you for replying, appreciate your kind advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We usually do a card ,which the child helps with, stickers, a scribble or a hand print, and some chocolate. A few Terry's choc oranges, or a box of biccies  for them to share. USA biscuits or similar. 
    Sending booze into a creche doesn't sit right with me!

Advertisement